PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for paint on a new vehicle?

Pages : [1] 2

brazosdog02
05-21-2014, 01:55 PM
I need to wash and clay bar, but the paint is pretty good since its new. I already have HD Polish and Megs 101 if that matters.

1.) What products do I need to polish up and protect it?

2.) What shampoo is good for the vehicle for regular washing as well as prep for polishing?

3.) What is a good product to deal with tar and bugs...neither of which I can usually get off easily.

I wanted to add that I have the PC machine. My goal for this daily driver is as follows:

Get stuff off the paint from the 6 months I`ve owned it new, make it shiny, but mostly I want to protect the paint and need it protected for 6 mo to a year. I can`t spend 8 hours every week doing it. The goal is that I want paint to be in decent shape in 250,000 miles. Yes, I keep them that long.

Quiksilver5882
05-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Since the vehicle is new, I`d recommend claying the car and using Iron X followed by polishing with the HD Polish which you mention that you have. As far as protection I`d recommend a sealant such as Menzerna Power Lock followed by a wax such as Collinite 845.

As far as tar, I use Tarminator by Stoners. For bug guts you can presoak with an all purpose cleaner to loosen up the bugs and then follow that with a pressure washer.

3D Pink Soap is good. Chemical guys has many soaps to choose from as well.

Hopefully this helps and good luck!

brazosdog02
05-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Alright...another set of questions:

`

Which steps in the Polish, Seal, Wax process is it OK to use my DA and which should I do by hand?

`

Do you use the DA for wiping off/buffing out any of these products? `If so, which pad should I use to do this? `If not, what product do I use to do it by hand?

House of Wax
05-21-2014, 10:13 PM
You can use the DA to apply each step but do the removal part of each step by hand with a high quality microfiber towel.

If youre looking for long term protection I`d think about bypassing the traditional sealants and look into a coating like opti coat, cquartz, pinnacle black label, etc...

brazosdog02
05-22-2014, 08:21 AM
What about HD Poxy?` Does that fall in your list of non traditional sealants?

`

Also, do you have a recomendation on a quality car wash?

House of Wax
05-22-2014, 11:17 AM
HD Nitro seal would be the one to look at there as far as a non traditional sealant.

I`m a big fan of optimum car wash

Accumulator
05-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Agdodge4X4-` Rather than clay it (and I`m no hater of clay, use it all the time...) I`d decontaminate it with ValuGard "ABC", which is approved/specified by Chrysler Corp. for this exact thing.

`

Your other Qs:

`

-HD Polish (M101 where needed) followed by whatever LSP you prefer (I usually use FK1000P).` I do not advocate topping sealants with wax, but rather choose the one single LSP that`s best for the given applicaton.

`

-IMO Griot`s Car Wash is the best affordable wash.` I`m currently experimenting with a 1:1`mix of Griot`s and the 3D Pink and that seems OK (and a bit cheaper than straight Griots).` DO NOT use cheapie shampoos as they have poor lubricity and mediocre encapsulation.

`

-I use mild clay (Sonus SFX) to "clay my LSP clean" when I need to remove bugs/tar.` Done correctly this won`t strip the LSP, but if the bugs really penetrate you`ll need to do more.

`

-Polish by machine, but buff off the polish residue by hand (before it dries).

`

-To apply LSPs, use the polisher if you prefer it or do it`by hand.` You can buff off LSP residue with MF bonnets (they fit over pads) but you`ll still need to get that last 2% by hand.`DO NOT use "terry" bonnets.

brazosdog02
05-22-2014, 03:34 PM
So, if my paint is NEW, then why would I need M101?` I dont have any swirl marks or scratches...ahem...rather, I don`t have any that I consider bothersome.` Of course they are there.

`

Is HD Poxy suitable for a LSP in this app?`

`

Also, Im trying to buy from one place...autoality...is there a suitable wash from them?` What about Ultima Paint Gaurd?

`

Sorry for all th questions...just trying to get my head around some things.

Ben@3D
05-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Hey Agdodge,

`

If your paint is in good shape, no need for anything heavier than a light polish. The HD polish you have should work great.

`

HD Poxy is a very suitable last step. It will last as long as any of the traditional sealants out there.

`

If you are looking to stick with the 3D/HD line, Autoality does carry the 3D Pink Car Soap and HD Wash. ;)

brazosdog02
05-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Is there a particular clay product(s) i need to properly clay the vehicle prior to polishing?` I have the mothers clay kit.` Is that good enough?

Accumulator
05-23-2014, 11:50 AM
The Mother`s kit is OK, just be careful to do it correctly so you don`t mar the paint.

brazosdog02
05-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Which color pad should I use to apply HD Polish?` Im a bit confused on the difference between the different color polishing pads vs. finishing pads.` I have a black finishing pad in my cart, but I also have a light polishing pad.

`

Im thinking I need to use a black finishing pad to apply the polish, since im not really fixing any paint issues.` If so...should I use the black finishing pad or get a black microfiber finishing pad??

`

Also, after I do the HD Polish, which pad do I use to apply the HD Poxy??

Accumulator
05-23-2014, 12:10 PM
I myself would use the light polishing pad, but a lot of it is merely personal preference.` I find many finishing pads are just too "tight" for my taste when it comes to using polishes.; I prefer a pad with larger pores.` But that`s just me...

`

I`d use the black pad for the Poxy.

House of Wax
05-23-2014, 12:51 PM
I myself would use the light polishing pad, but a lot of it is merely personal preference. I find many finishing pads are just too "tight" for my taste when it comes to using polishes.; I prefer a pad with larger pores. But that`s just me...

I`d use the black pad for the Poxy.

Completely agree with this

brazosdog02
05-23-2014, 02:09 PM
I have a `mega order` now.`

`

Wonder if its all worth it. Hard to convince the significant other when she looks at my 12 year old paint on the truck that has spent its life outside, never been waxed, and gets washed only on occasion and says "so what...it has a couple of scratches".` :(