PDA

View Full Version : OptiCoat 2.0 Prep Question

01svtL
05-21-2014, 10:41 AM
I currently have BFCS on my car. `It was applied about 3 weeks ago. `I ordered the OC2.0 and want to apply it this weekend. `I was thinking I would:

`

wash

clay

Polish with LC Orange pad and either Blackfire polish or Meg`s 105 followed by the Blackfire with a LC Red pad.

10% IPA wipe

pinnacle black label surface clean

OC2.0

`

Does this sound like sufficient prep for the OC 2.0?

`

Thanks in advance for your advice!

RaskyR1
05-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Is your paint in that poor of a condition that it needs something like M105?

`

Best prep IMO would involve finishing with an Opt polish, like Hyper Polish. That way you can just follow with a quick ONR wash with no need for IPA.

Accumulator
05-21-2014, 12:06 PM
I`d even question the need for the claying, not that I`m opposed to overkill when it comes to decontamination...

`

Speaking of which, I`d just wash it with ValuGard`s "A", inspect it, and not even do any correction unless it needs it.` Now it if *does* need correction, then yeah...do what`s necessary.` A Finishing Polishe that`s easy to use before the OptiCoat would be my choice too, namely Optimum Hyper or HD Polish.

01svtL
05-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks guys. `No it`s not in bad shape. `I got mixed up on my prep. `I`m doing my buddy`s 2010 Audi TTS this weekend too, and will probably use 105 on his. `I could see swirls all over it sitting in the sunlight, even though the metallic paint hides it fairly well.

`

I`ll need a light polish though, as I can see hairline marring here and there in places.

`

Is there no need for the Pinnacle Surface Clean? `It is considered a polish I believe. `The description said it eliminates the need for an IPA wipe and can be coated from there. `I was just unsure what I need to get the Blackfire Crystal Seal completely removed.

Accumulator
05-21-2014, 12:54 PM
01svtL- I`m not familiar with the Pinnacle Surface Clean, and reading its product description left me with more (new) questions than answers.` It might be good prep for Pinnacle`s coating, but I don`t think I`d trust it as prep for OptiCoat.

`

Isn`t Blackfire`s Finising Polish made by Menzerna?` The older BF that I have is, it`s basically a variation on the Menzerna 106 series.` *LOTS* of residual oils, not my choice for use before a coating.` I`d want to use something like AkraClean/PrepWash or "A" or Eraser or something along those lines, and I sure wouldn`t trust IPA to do the job.

01svtL
05-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Thanks Accumulator.

`

So how difficult is it to remove the BFCS? `Does a simple polish with a green pad and finishing polish remove it?

Accumulator
05-22-2014, 12:20 PM
Never used it so "gee, I dunno..."

`

But I`d sure expect a polishing would remove it.

Swanicyouth
05-22-2014, 06:22 PM
I love PBMG/AutoGeek polishes. However, IME - they are not the way to go prior to OptiCoat. I would use Optimum`s polishes. You can use any Optimum polish per Optimum. If the finish is very good, I would just use their Finish polish on a finishing pad.

After that, I just wipe down with 25% IPA - although it supposedly technically is not required for OC. I would skip the Pinnacle Surface Prep polish in this case. Not because I think it wouldn`t work, but because staying in Optimum`s line for polishes will eliminate that extra step.

fdresq4
05-25-2014, 06:03 AM
I just did my wife`s car. As others have said and as I did Optimum`s Hyper Polish. I then finished with the Final Finish Polish. You can do an IPA wipe down but not needed, as per our local Optimum Representative.

Makes sense as it is "a system" that comes from the same company and designed to work together.