PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Dog Slobber?

LightngSVT
05-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Any good tips or product recommendations for cleaning dog slobber permenantly form leather seats? `Many cleaners seems to work but if you wipe the seats with water, etc you will still see traces.

`

Also any tips for getting dog hair out of carpet? `

Junebug
05-16-2014, 06:36 AM
Maybe try an enzyme based cleaner.

R3Detailing
05-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Are you sure those traces aren`t solution drips from your cleaner that you let dry?`

`

`

Go to any pet supply story. They have an assortment of pet hair brushes. This is the one I have and love it:

`

https://www.simonizdetaildirect.com/customer-content/www/products/productimages/pet_hair_brush/photo300x200/sma85-600.png

Accumulator
05-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Huh, never had that kind of problem with`the slobber`(and my leather-interior Tahoe hauls dogs daily).` Maybe the protectants I use (Leather Doctor, Leather Masters) work better than I thought!

`

FWIW, I clean the slobber off ASAP (which isn`t always "soon" when my wife takes them out of town for extended trips) with either Griot`s Interior Cleaner or the much more potent HD/3D (green) APC.

`

Guess I`d try a very thorough cleaning and then treatment with a different brand of leather protectant.

`

If a regular vacuum (try the "upholstery nozzle" attachment) doesn`t get the dog hair, either the rubber-brush that r3d3detailing suggested, or a "pet sponge" (I have the Gonzo brand) or a "pet roller" (I prefer the rinse-to-clean ones over the adhesive variety, which are basically the same as rubbing the carpet with the sticky side of masking tape).

Lonnie
05-16-2014, 03:02 PM
I used a Playtex textured rubber glove to remove pet hair. You can vacuum all you want; the only way to remove embedded pet hair is to physically rub or brush it out. The nice thing about rubber gloves is that you can control them by rubbing/stroking the hair off in a sweeping motion and then vacuuming up the hair ball that forms. You`ll be surprised at how much hair is embedded (hidden) in carpets and fabrics using this method. I may take 4 or 5 times over the same area to remove` most of the hair. This is especially true for long fine hair, like that from Golden Retrievers. (or long-haired blonde girlfriends or "significant others". Sorry, no jokes allowed!!)

LightngSVT
05-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Cool thanks guys. `Ill try Griots or 3D clenaer. `To be honest I havent been using leather protector on my wifes car, its a lease and I got lazy over the long, cold winter. `

`

I`ll try the rubber gloves. `I have the rubber pet hair brush but found it doesnt that great on Malamute hair.

Alfisti
05-16-2014, 11:49 PM
I used a Playtex textured rubber glove to remove pet hair. You can vacuum all you want; the only way to remove embedded pet hair is to physically rub or brush it out. The nice thing about rubber gloves is that you can control them by rubbing/stroking the hair off in a sweeping motion and then vacuuming up the hair ball that forms. You`ll be surprised at how much hair is embedded (hidden) in carpets and fabrics using this method. I may take 4 or 5 times over the same area to remove most of the hair. This is especially true for long fine hair, like that from Golden Retrievers. (or long-haired blonde girlfriends or "significant others". Sorry, no jokes allowed!!)
I second the textured rubber glove idea. I`ve tried the pet brush but the gloves work better /faster.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Accumulator
05-17-2014, 12:11 PM
LightngSVT- The Griot`s is *SO* gentle that I think you oughta try the 3D instead.` Or LeatherMasters Strong, or something from Leather Doctor.` I`d hate for you to waste time/effort/money on a too-mild approach since you`ve already been struggling with this and if the slobber has gotten down into the pores/microfissures/etc. of the leather the cleaning up might take a little doing.

Lonnie
05-17-2014, 08:43 PM
LightningSVT-

That`s a good`question about cleaning leather. I assume by your user name that this dog slobber is on the leather seats of your Lightning SVT.

`

I`ve tried using Woolite (yes, the laundry soap for washing wool in) per resident-Autopian Scottwax`s suggestion. It works OK.

For real deep cleaning though, I`ve used Optimum`s PowerClean (OPC) on coated leather only. Most "pedestrian" vehicles have coated leather, including your Lightning.

I REALLY dislike the smell/ fragrance that OPC leaves behind, though. I did my car`s carpets with it; never again. (Personal preference)

I`ve also used Meg`s Detailing Line D101 All-Purpose Cleaner(Meg`s APC) works great (though not as well as OPC!), but the smell/fragrance is MUCH more agreeable.

`

It`s probably time for me to set up to the plate and buy and use a true leather-dedicated cleaner, like Leather Masters or Leather doctor. I know some like Leatherique, but it`requires some time and heat to use the Rejuvenator first and then the Cleaner. I hate to admit I use Lexol for my "protectant". The soap/cleaner is kind of weak and not worth the effort. After reading about it within this forum, I can see why some Autopian pundants say use the cleaner/soap and the protectant on horse saddles, belts, and shoes only.

JohnZ3MC
05-18-2014, 10:42 AM
And stating the obvious:` not all dog slobber is created equal.` It used to take two washings to get St. Bernard slobber out of blue jeans and I never figured out how Big Jack got into those jeans in the first place.` Great dog.

So maybe a second cleaning might be the ticket for a total cleaning.