PDA

View Full Version : What are the best towel/cloths to use?

c6this
04-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Hey guys, I want to get some good quality rags to take wax off with and to use with detail spray that will not scratch my finish what so ever! I have black so not scratching is imperative! Which ones for sure will not scratch and where do you get them from? Links would be great! Thanks a lot, I am sure the experts on here will have some good answers :)

belcherm58
04-16-2006, 06:14 PM
These towels are the best for product removal IMO. The looped fibers are great for taking off product. I like a plush towel for QD`ing.

http://www.autogeek.net/microfiber-polisning-cloth.html

This is the kind of towel I use for QD`ing

http://www.detailcity.com/prestige-polishing-cloth-16-16.html

DFTowel
04-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey guys, I want to get some good quality rags...

DON`T CALL THEM RAGS!!!

jdoria
04-16-2006, 07:54 PM
DFtowel
- I have about 6 of your white towels. I have not used them yet, I have just washed them. The pile is very thick, what do you say they are best used for?

TrueDetailer
04-16-2006, 08:35 PM
First off let me say, there is NO rag/towel that will not scratch your paint.

You have two choices, Microfiber or terry cloth cotten.

Alot of the users on this site use microfibers from the sponsers.

I use terry cloth towels, some would say thats old school.

Both will work fine and help reduce marring as long as you buy a high quality towel.

joe.p
04-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Steve PBs http://www.poorboysworld.com/microfiber.htm

Dwayne also has compiled a real nice assortment of MFS,many to choose from..
http://www.detailcity.com/microfiber-towels.html

Brenton
04-17-2006, 05:47 AM
DON`T CALL THEM RAGS!!!
:D :D

JoeP sent me a couple of dollar store type mf towels I was very impressed with. In fact, I`d trust most any mf for my paint, except the ones I get at my dollar store, and the ones from Canadian Tire (Simoniz). I use more sensitive mfs on black paints to be careful.

I`m still deciding whether silky or plush is best for sensitive finishes. Depends on the job, perhaps.

Anthony A
04-17-2006, 08:29 AM

How did you come to this conclusion? I have many (as in hundreds) of MF towels that DO NOT scratch my paint. I know this because I have spent hours just testing them on my hood in all types of light from every possible angle imaginable. I use sunlight, halogen, xenon, fluorescent, regular flash light, metal halide in the parking lots of malls at night, you name it I have used it. I have used them on light and dark colored vehicles and the results are the same. I have many towels that do not scratch the paint. They are high quality MF and properly maintained and stored. I also have cheaper ones that do scratch paint if enough pressure is applied.

holland_patrick
04-17-2006, 08:52 AM

You have two choices, Microfiber or terry cloth Cotton.

Alot of the users on this site use microfibers from the sponsors.

I use terry cloth towels, some would say thats old school.

Both will work fine and help reduce marring as long as you buy a high quality towel.

I think you should say no QUALITY towel Will marr your surface. The hospital towel we have at work are like taking 2000 grit sandpaper to your paint. Before I knew better I used them all the time, I then was schooled about it and I have never went back...

CalgaryDetail
04-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Rags i dont belive that is an accpetable word on this forum is should be sensored like the f word lol. I personaly love the eshine ultra. I have tried a few others and nothing compares. Im in love. My second fav. are the adams ones. They work well and i dont think they are outragilsy priced. However i would never use a rag on my car, i would rather key it lol

TrueDetailer
04-17-2006, 12:56 PM
How did you come to this conclusion? I have many (as in hundreds) of MF towels that DO NOT scratch my paint. I know this because I have spent hours just testing them on my hood in all types of light from every possible angle imaginable. I use sunlight, halogen, xenon, fluorescent, regular flash light, metal halide in the parking lots of malls at night, you name it I have used it. I have used them on light and dark colored vehicles and the results are the same. I have many towels that do not scratch the paint. They are high quality MF and properly maintained and stored. I also have cheaper ones that do scratch paint if enough pressure is applied.

Wow you sure do go all out when testing your microfiber towels. :rolleyes:

I don`t feel that i need to explain myself, its uh, common sense i think.

John

Anthony A
04-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Wow you sure do go all out when testing your microfiber towels. :rolleyes:

I don`t feel that i need to explain myself, its uh, common sense i think.

John

There is nothing common about the sense you used. You clearly stated that " there is NO rag/towel that will not scratch your paint". This is just plain incorrect information. So please enlighten me and explain where the "common sense" is in your statement.

Yes I do spend a lot of time testing my towels and applicators and anything else that touches my paint. It`s my hobby detailing and I like to do these types of tests. It allows me to look at statements like the one you made and see it for the incorrect info that it is.