PDA

View Full Version : More Aggressive than HD UNO

Pages : [1] 2

bradthebold
05-11-2014, 07:26 PM
I`ve used my HD UNO a couple times over the last 2 years, but it doesn`t seem like it`s aggressive enough for my seemingly hard VW/Audi paint. HD Polish appears to do nothing and it takes a Meguiar`s MF pad with the UNO to get any results. This combo is only fixing light swirling though and leaving deeper swirls after multiple passes. The car looks good from a couple feet, but it`s easy to see deeper swirls left over up close.

I have a Griot`s polisher and am using little of the UNO: 5-6 drops at first and 2-3 drops between sections cleaning the pad between each section.

I was considering M105 or HD Cut and finishing with UNO if needed. Any recommendations?

bradthebold
05-11-2014, 08:54 PM
I`m leaning towards M105 since it will get 15% off and free shipping in my autogeek order.

David Fermani
05-11-2014, 09:04 PM
UNO is ok for a mid-range polish with some cut, but I`d strongly suggest going with HD Cut. A ton less dust than M105, a lot less expensive, equal cut and longer work time. Any marring that you get will easily clean up with HD Polish. ``

`

Use code dav15 and get 15% off your entire order. Chemicals only.`

bradthebold
05-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Ok, thanks. The more I`ve been reading about M105, the less I`m liking it. Short working time, lots of dust, and difficult to use. I was looking at D300 too, but it looks like Cut gets pretty good reviews in comparison, so I`ll give the HD cut a try.`

`

David Fermani
05-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Thanks! I really think you`re going to like it. Please let us know if you need any help. Even though both Meg`s and HD use non-diminishing abrasives in their polishing compounds, the work times (because of the lubrication) is pretty different. Unlike Megs where priming the pad is vital, there is no need for that with HD. And as a result, you end up using alot less product.`

bradthebold
05-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Ok, so if I don`t need to prime, can I use Cut the same way I use Uno? Or what would I need to do differently?

David Fermani
05-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Absolutely you can. I always suggest adjusting the amount of product, work time, pad and speed depending on the paint. But never priming. The Meg`s MF pad is really great, but you might also want to consider picking up one of the HD Turkish lambswool pads. Very aggressive, but doesn`t leave any excessive marring that HD Polish won`t clear up.`

bradthebold
05-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Ok, thanks for the help.

On a side note, what would you recommend for a tire/engine cover dressing? There are a few choices: ultra protectant, magic blue, HD dress. I`m looking for something that won`t sling and will have more of a deep matte look than shiny/glossy.

`

And how about a dash/interior trim protectant that wouldn`t be greasy or collect dust?

Guru17
05-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Wouldn`t HD Adapt work with the right pads?

bradthebold
05-11-2014, 11:32 PM
That`s a good question. In researching adapt, I saw that it was going to replace Uno and Uno was going to be discontinued, I think. It looks like Adapt is just a better version of Uno.

So how does the cut of HD Cut and Adapt compare? How does the finish compare? If Adapt is aggressive enough, it looks like it polishes out well, whereas I might have to go over HD Cut with Uno or Polish.

It looks like adapt did well on this audi:`http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/133005-the-versatile-cut-of-hd-adapt/ (`http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/133005-the-versatile-cut-of-hd-adapt/`)

Accumulator
05-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Just FWIW, I can`t get the, uhm...`cut...that I`d like out of HD Cut via Meguiar`s MF Cutting Disk.` OK, maybe it`s user-error but it just doesn`t compare with the results I get using M105.` So be sure to pick the right pad when using Cut or you might be there for a while.

bradthebold
05-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the info. If one of us were to have user error, it wouldn`t be you, haha.

The most aggressive pads I have are Lake Country orange and Megs MF pads. The orange pads didn`t seem to do much with the Uno. I just don`t want to buy something and have it not be aggressive enough again.

Ben@3D
05-12-2014, 03:10 PM
The cut is definitely more aggressive than Adapt. It will just not finish down quite as well on finicky paints.

bradthebold
05-12-2014, 11:56 PM
I think I`ll try the Cut and pick up one of the HD wool pads. My paint is in pretty good shape (I think at least, a ton better than the cars in the Cut reviews), so hopefully it will get me the rest of the way that Uno couldn`t get.

pwaug
05-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Best try the Cut with an orange pad first-- least aggressive process first- seems if your paint is not in too bad shape the wool is a drastic step.