PDA

View Full Version : Spray Paint vs. Bare Bones ?

Pages : [1] 2

LeMarque
05-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Just interested in some feedback.

`

For Daily Driver Details and the like, are there any serious consequences to using WallyWorlds $1 can black spray paint for the wheel wheel wells vs CG`s $30 gallon BareBones?

`

TIA

David Fermani
05-07-2014, 09:14 PM
It really depends on the wheel well type? Painted, plastic or undercoated. Spray paint is going to chips/flake and look like crap most of the time. I also like to use an economical dressing that adds a nice amount of gloss. `

Junebug
05-08-2014, 07:25 AM
I guess my ex-Navy friend that does bodywork would say - keep it clean, and keep it painted. This of course was years ago when cars didn`t get the rust proofing they get now and wheel wells were mostly metal. Paint would last longer, but, rattle can paint will get over-spray on your car unless you cover everything with plastic or something.

Swanicyouth
05-08-2014, 08:53 AM
I used that hard plastic bed coating spray stuff. It`s sort of like undercoating, but dries hard. So far - so good. It stays black and you can`t pressure wash it off.

Bill D
05-08-2014, 08:55 AM
In terms of dressing wheel wells I entertained the thought of spraying them with clear spray paint I don`t think it would come out well so I never did it. I continue to stick to dressings

brownbob06
05-08-2014, 11:32 AM
I personally "No Touch" tire dressing. `Bought at dollar store. `Cheap and very effective in wheel wells. `I know it`s not some expensive boutique product. But it serves the purpose I use it for excellently.

Accumulator
05-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Closest I`ve come to spraying the wells was having the rear ones on the Tahoe done with Wurth`s stoneguard stuff (forget the actual name, had my Audi dealer do it while it was in for some paintwork.` It`s held up well with just a bit of wear in the most vulnerable areas.` I maintain it with FastFinish though I might use up my old Armor All on `em.

`

I`d be scared to spraypaint such stuff for fear of overspray.` No matter how careful I was....

`

So what I do is:`smooth and painted- just treat like the rest of the paint; textured and painted- IUDJ, maybe some BIS, maintain with something like FastFinish; plastic- FastFinish and where they`re worn...eh, I just let `em look crappy (the FastFinish helps a *little* and I say "good enough"), never get around to ETRing them though I did use it the "splash shields on the Tahoes front wells (but I`ve yet to reinstall them so I can`t say how it holds up).

LeMarque
05-10-2014, 12:08 PM
It really depends on the wheel well type? Painted, plastic or undercoated. Spray paint is going to chips/flake and look like crap most of the time. I also like to use an economical dressing that adds a nice amount of gloss. `

`

Never considered the cracking issue. Asking because I`m trying to reduce costs for some of the work I do for one of the new car dealers where the car is going to auction. And you know dealer work doesn`t pay much ...

`

I guess my ex-Navy friend that does bodywork would say - keep it clean, and keep it painted. This of course was years ago when cars didn`t get the rust proofing they get now and wheel wells were mostly metal. Paint would last longer, but, rattle can paint will get over-spray on your car unless you cover everything with plastic or something.

`

Thinking I could clay bar off any overspray (?)

`

I used that hard plastic bed coating spray stuff. It`s sort of like undercoating, but dries hard. So far - so good. It stays black and you can`t pressure wash it off.

`

$$$

`

In terms of dressing wheel wells I entertained the thought of spraying them with clear spray paint I don`t think it would come out well so I never did it. I continue to stick to dressings

`

I`ve tried Megs Hyper Dressing but it doesn`t do nearly as good a job as CG`s BareBones. IMHO

`

I personally "No Touch" tire dressing. `Bought at dollar store. `Cheap and very effective in wheel wells. `I know it`s not some expensive boutique product. But it serves the purpose I use it for excellently.

`

Checked the Net for that brand. Unless it can be found in the $Store, it`s kind of pricey.

`

Closest I`ve come to spraying the wells was having the rear ones on the Tahoe done with Wurth`s stoneguard stuff (forget the actual name, had my Audi dealer do it while it was in for some paintwork.` It`s held up well with just a bit of wear in the most vulnerable areas.` I maintain it with FastFinish though I might use up my old Armor All on `em.

`

I`d be scared to spraypaint such stuff for fear of overspray.` No matter how careful I was....

`

So what I do is:`smooth and painted- just treat like the rest of the paint; textured and painted- IUDJ, maybe some BIS, maintain with something like FastFinish; plastic- FastFinish and where they`re worn...eh, I just let `em look crappy (the FastFinish helps a *little* and I say "good enough"), never get around to ETRing them though I did use it the "splash shields on the Tahoes front wells (but I`ve yet to reinstall them so I can`t say how it holds up).

`

I`ll continue to look for a deal on FastFinish. It`s just for Dealer work that`s going to auction.

Accumulator
05-10-2014, 12:39 PM
LeMarque- I wouldn`t count on clay to resolve any overspray issue.` Wouldn`t want to cause problems on a car that`s going to auction (making it worse instead of better...).

brownbob06
05-10-2014, 05:23 PM
`

`

Checked the Net for that brand. Unless it can be found in the $Store, it`s kind of pricey.

If you ever go to Dollar General check it out there. It`s around $2-$3 for a big can I believe.

`

http://www.dallasmustang.com/tire-cleaners-no-touch-18oz.html (`http://www.dallasmustang.com/tire-cleaners-no-touch-18oz.html`)

`

It`s this stuff but even cheaper than at this site.

brownbob06
05-10-2014, 05:25 PM
$2.85/ can actually according to dollargeneral.com`

`

Cheap and effective.

LeMarque
05-10-2014, 08:38 PM
LeMarque- I wouldn`t count on clay to resolve any overspray issue.` Wouldn`t want to cause problems on a car that`s going to auction (making it worse instead of better...).

`

Guess your right. Don`t want to make any additional work for me as well.

LeMarque
05-10-2014, 08:40 PM
$2.85/ can actually according to dollargeneral.com`

`

Cheap and effective.

`

Thanks - I`ll see if it`s available locally. That is a good price.

brownbob06
05-11-2014, 01:17 PM
No problem. Like I said, it works great for wheel wells for me and it`s cheap. I personally dont use it on the tires too often though. Cheap and functional is a win win in my book though lol

Junebug
05-12-2014, 07:20 AM
You "Can" remove overspray with clay, I`m done it more times than I care to, and actually - those clay towel things are better/faster. But, either one is a time consuming PITA. Simple rule: rattle can paint - cover everything you dont want painted!