PDA

View Full Version : Question about buffing pads

megmarc
04-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Have a porter cable buffer from about 6 or 7 years ago.` Have not used it since then but want to put a show car shine on a new vehicle.` Have some old pads that need to be replaced, but in searching on line it`seems there are a lot more available pads and types of pads that`are available now.` My questions are:

`

1)` The PC buffer I have uses a velcro backing to attach the pad.` Many of the pads i think I need refer to a hook and loop attachment.`Is that what I am looking for or is there something else I should be looking at

`

2)` Car is new but still clayed it and put down a Dura Gloss polish/`sealant and am using Griots glaze and wax to get the finish I want.`

`

3)` i am hoping to get that show car shine with the buffer.` Do I want a finishing pad to put on the glaze and wax and do I take it off with a MF towel or use another pad to take`he`glaze and wax`off as well.

`

Thanks much for any advice.

House of Wax
04-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Hook and loop is the generic term for velcro. Yes, use a MF towel to take off glaze or wax

pwaug
04-30-2014, 02:11 PM
1)` The PC buffer I have uses a velcro backing to attach the pad.` Many of the pads i think I need refer to a hook and loop attachment.`Is that what I am looking for or is there something else I should be looking at

`

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,205);">Yes pads have the Velcro`loop`on the back and the backing plate has the hook portion.``For best`performance with the older PCs you would be best off with a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads.`

`

2)` Car is new but still clayed it and put down a Dura Gloss polish/`sealant and am using Griots glaze and wax to get the finish I want.`

`

3)` i am hoping to get that show car shine with the buffer.` Do I want a finishing pad to put on the glaze and wax and do I take it off with a MF towel or use another pad to take`he`glaze and wax`off as well.

`

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,205);">The amount of gloss you get has nothing to do with how you apply your glaze, sealant or wax so you can do it by hand or with the PC.`` Most use the softest pad in any particular line of pads to apply a LSP (glaze, sealant or wax).`` Buff & Shine pads`(same as HD pads) have a red pad for applying LSPs that has no cut, is very soft, but very dense pores so they don`t soak up allot of product.``` If you really want to improve the shine or gloss, use an abrasive polish to remove any swirls in the paint ---then apply your wax, sealant and or glaze of choice.`` If you remove the swirls there would be no need for the glaze which generally just fills the swirls.` After the LSP hazes use a quality MF towel to buff off the haze.

`

`

<span style="color:rgb(0,0,205);">EDIT: Forgot to mention if by machine or by hand important to apply the LSP in a very THIN layer--makes buffing off easier and doesn`t waste product.

megmarc
04-30-2014, 02:17 PM
Thanks much.` Exactly what I needed.`

Accumulator
05-01-2014, 11:34 AM
megmarc- Reading your post, I`m wondering what you feel needs improved...what`s keeping it from having a "showcar shine" at present?

`

And I can`t help but think that on a new(er) vehicle with healthy basecoat/clearcoat paint, there shouldn`t really be a need for the GG Glaze (and IMO their wax looks`mediocre at best`too, one of the few LSPs I`ve tried that I genuinely think looks deficient...but that`s just me).