PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys do this day in day out???

Pages : [1] 2

AndyA6
04-26-2014, 08:02 PM
So, I am a total weekend, once in a while occasional hobby detailer. This forum helped me so much and is very inspiring, thanks all for the informations shared!

I have my Porter Cable, various pads, various products and all that. Today and tomorrow I am working on my daughters VW Golf, it is her daily to go to school. Well, I guess you guys can imagine how this thing looks like, parked outside, minimal car washes, inside is like.... So we started to wash, clay, 105 on various spots, MF pads for further steps and Opti Seal to finish. Many hours today, both my kid and I working together and tomorrow even more hours.

Point is, how do you survive this as a job? I mean I`m beat today and tomorrow probably "dead".

Respect to you all, this detailing job is hard work!

Sorry for this blurry iPad pic.... Better to come soon!

[attachment=9979:image.jpg]

Big L
04-26-2014, 08:34 PM
I like the OP will do half my truck on one day then I`m beat. I get up to do the other half the next day and I need another day to recover. How do guys do this for a living is a good question?

Dellinger
04-27-2014, 02:15 AM
For me, honestly, it is the `chase of self improvement`.

`

It is wanting to know how to do something more efficient and with better results.

`

It is wanting to be the best at something... that I never will.

`

It is delivering a service that someone did not anticipate.

`

It may sound weird and I can accept that.... but that`s what drives me, at this point.

Accumulator
04-27-2014, 11:13 AM
I couldn`t do this stuff day-in-day-out/professionally simply because I don`t like it that much.`

`

Physically demanding?` Eh....running a Milwaukee rotary for hours every day (when I was a kid) *was* kinda `tough for the first few weeks, but I wasn`t in shape then and today`s detailing is a whole lot easier than that was.`

`

Today`s stuff (lightweight and well-balanced polishers, effective/efficient products, etc.) makes detailing a lot easier than it used to be, so if it seems tough`maybe it`s just a matter of getting one`s process dialed-in a little better.` Doing a full detail might take me several days, but it`s easy work compared to, say...my exercise regimen.`

`

EDIT: Aw gee, hope the above doesn`t make me sound like too much of a [jerk]... :o

RPPM
04-27-2014, 11:46 AM
Get a Rupes, so much smoother, little to no downward pressure required to correct MOST paints.` I find it much easier on the body than other DA`s.

Lexi65
04-27-2014, 01:04 PM

Lexi65
04-27-2014, 01:05 PM
Accumulator - we would never think you were a jerk. You`re the BEST!!

Bill D
04-27-2014, 07:01 PM
I`ve never once interpreted Accumulator`s posts as those of a jerk and I`ve been on this forum for more than a little while

silverfox
04-28-2014, 02:46 AM
Whether its easier or not in terms of technology, your body has to hold up for hours at a time bending, lifting, stretching, and being exposed to chemicals. For many this could be considered fun, or even beneficial exercise, but at my age there are far better ways to achieve both in far less time.
I think for me detailing is like visiting a place you love but wouldn`t want to live there.

House of Wax
04-28-2014, 08:36 AM
I think for me detailing is like visiting a place you love but wouldn`t want to live there.

Great analogy

Accumulator
04-28-2014, 12:24 PM
Maybe I didn`t sound (quite?) as`"hey, it doesn`t bother ME, so what`s you`re problem?"`as I`d feared...but I still think it could`ve come across badly and I hope I didn`t offend anybody.`WHen I posted, I was thinking about a guy I was talking with recently who`s a roofing laborer...talk about tough work, carrying bundles of shingles up a ladder all day!` He works pretty much year-round too, in Ohio (I thought they sat out the winter months, but I guess they don`t).

`

With regard to the bending over and other awkward stuff, that`s where my "refine the process" comes in; I`m all about not doing uncomfortable things if I can avoid them, so I have a number of seats-on-casters and I generally sit on a creeper when doing the lower-most areas.` But that last bit brings up being able to get up/down repeatedly and that can be a challenge for some people.` I guess getting up/down repeatedly when washing the Tahoe with m work platforms would be tough for some folks too, but still easier/safer`than most alternatives (heh heh, sure not easier than just doing a half-@$$ed (`half-@$$ed`) job of it though, huh?).`

`

RPPM- Yeah, I bet that correction via Rupes is a whole different ballgame compared to using, say....my Flex 3401.` I don`t really *mind* using`the Flex, but I do understand when somebody says they just can`t stand wrestling with it and so they`re selling theirs.

autoconcierge
04-28-2014, 01:58 PM
I do my work all day………….then go to the gym. My weariness is not with the work but some clients and others.

`

Have to have passion and mental toughness day in day out.

Accumulator
04-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Auto Concierge- I bet that your time in the gym contributes greatly`to that "mental toughness".

autoconcierge
04-29-2014, 10:35 AM
My mental toughness contributes to my mental toughness lol. There are times alone in the shop with no distractions and I get to make the vehicle I am working on beautiful for a client depending on me to do as so, God has blessed my work and I am so grateful to him to`be able to still work in my current state of oldness as I really love nice cars.

RaskyR1
04-29-2014, 10:41 AM
It never used to bother me when I was younger but it`s definitely hard on the body and I feel it now after a long weekend. When I`m active at the gym it doesn`t seem to affect me near as much, so staying in shape definitely helps. :)