PDA

View Full Version : hydro2 application Q

jojo69
04-25-2014, 06:27 AM
Hey gang,

`

So I was thinking of cleaning up (shampoo, clay, TarX) the car after a harsh New England weather. Paint has the usual suspects including tar specks, dirt, and water spots.` I found a sample bottle of HydrO2 from Car-Pro`and I`got all excited about the idea of using the sample!

`

... but after some online research about how to best apply HydrO2, it seems an unprotected paint (no to minimal wax/sealant) will provide best bonding...

`

So here`s my conundrum: applying HydrO2 after I wash the car will not get rid of the water spots, and my wash regimen won`t probably knock them off...

`

...and if I do a quick polish using an AIO (speed for example), then`I`ll have added a layer of protection to paint which won`t offer best adherence for HydrO2...

`

Now here is my Question:

`

1) Am I splitting hairs here? Should I just do a quick polish to knock of water etching/swirls and go ahead and apply HydrO2?

`

2) Should I just try Hydro2 on paint as is (after paint wash of course)?

`

3) Should I just do the polish and wax using traditional product and try Hydro2 on my next was/wax cycle!?

`

`

What would my fellow`autopians choose to`do?

`

`

kakeuter
04-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Multiple scenarios/options are available you. If you had a water spot remover, you could chemically remove the spots, re-wash the vehicle and then apply Hydro2.

`

If you polish the vehicle to remove the spots, especially with an AIO, you are correct in assuming Hydro2 adherence will be subpar. You could always give the car a polish, re-wash to remove any polishing oils and then apply Hydro2.

`

I guess it depends how bad you want to use Hyrdo2. If you use Speed to correct the spots you could always wait a month or two and apply Hydro2 after a wash.

`

-Kody-

jojo69
04-25-2014, 08:24 AM
No dedicated spot remover other than non-dedicated products like ONR/UIDJ/HD Touch.

`

I didn`t think about the option to just polish/wash/hydrO2 application! I could use my new HD adapt or`Polish sample bottle to give the paint a better finish, and then wash & Hydro2 application.` Thanks!! `That`d probably be a good balance.

`

I do`want to try HydrO2, and let`s be honest, I`m to anal to just spray HO2`on the paint as is, even though claying may knock some of those spots out, I doubt I`ll clean enough to my taste to where I`ll dare do that...

`

`

`

Edit: Well I after washing with Meg`s gold, still saw some left over on some panels. tried a wash with Palmolive (cheap dawn) and it cleaned up my side panels but still beeding on other areas so I gave up on HydrO2. Just used green B&s pads + speed to knock off those winter scars and left it at that.