PDA

View Full Version : rubber bumpers or padding for ladders?

Espada
04-18-2014, 07:06 PM
With a tall car or SUV it is convenient to place a ladder next to the car to reach the top. `But what if the ladder moves/slips/falls against the car? `Does anyone know of either a ladder with waterproof rubber bumpers or padding or rubber trim that can be used for padding? `Want to basically coat at least one side or edges of the ladder so that if it strikes the car by accident, no damage. `Any ideas?

Accumulator
04-19-2014, 12:38 PM
Espada- I keep meaning to do this to my work platforms, but never get around to it...

`

There are rubberized bumpers you can buy from places like Griot`s (didn`t see them in their latest catalog though), or you could just by adhesive-backed foam tape.

Espada
04-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Need something that won`t come off when wet. No adhesives

Accumulator
04-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Espada- Well, the right adhesive won`t come off just because it gets wet ;)

`

The ones I saw in Griot`s catalog had holes in them for using screws/etc.` If I get those I`ll probably mount them with rivets. :)

Lonnie
05-11-2014, 12:31 PM
I bought some rubber bumpers designed for coffee table corners`to protect babies/young toddlers`from injuring themselves at a rummage/garage/yard sale for $0.25 for four. They have an sticky adhesive on the underside to` "attach" to furniture corners. My intent was install them on my platform step ladder at the corners, which I have not done yet. No sure they will even "fit" as my platform corners sides are angled, and the pads are for truly square wood corners, but for a quarter, I could throw them away if they don`t work out and not be out of the more "retail price".

(I have no idea what`the retail price is for these pads at a baby`or maternity shop/store; guessing maybe $2 to $3 USA dollars)

Accumulator
05-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Lonnie- Ah, those might be just the thing for my work platforms!` Thanks for posting that.

Ron Ketcham
05-12-2014, 01:37 PM
The "pipe" insulation tubes you can get at any big box store. They are grey, have some adhesive on the inside, are split to easily install. Come in various diameters, etc.

Use zip ties to hold securely even though they have some adhesive.

Inexpensive, easy to work with, does the job.

Accumulator
05-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Those won`t work on the hard angles of my work platforms though...

`

Reminds me that I need to replace some of `em on my one water heater, the adhesive finally failed and nah, not gonna just use zip ties, not tidy enough for something that`s in plain sight.

Ron Ketcham
05-12-2014, 02:36 PM
I don`t really care how they look, just do they "work".

I found that I could do some "cuts" and make them cover right angles on step ladders, etc, but the zip ties are best for "really holding" on when I do that.