PDA

View Full Version : What in the heck is this? Rust?

Matth3w
04-14-2014, 01:00 PM
I recently moved to Hawaii from Texas. My car was shipped, obviously. It`s a 2014 Moonlight Pearl White Infiniti Q50S with only 2k miles on it.It has been meticulously cared for.

`

Maybe they were always there, but I am noticing these little seemingly rust spots. They are on metal AND ABS plastic/bumper pieces. My best guess is that they are small metal shards as a result of shipping that have embedded themselves in the paint (maybe from the shipping container, maybe road debris from whatever they used to transport, or perhaps they`ve been there all along as a paint defect). They are hard to see, but if you look closely they are almost everywhere.

`

So my first thought was to clay bar the car. I spent two hours going over and over the hood of my car and then sealing it with wax. Not liquid clay bar, the real thing.

`

And still here they are. This is a picture of one NOT on the hood, but you get the idea...they are hard to capture on film.

`

What are your suggestions? Is it something I need to worry about rusting through or most likely not? I own the car for about another 34 months (it`s a lease) so it`s not something I`m worried about long-term like 5-10 years down the line.

zerix
04-14-2014, 01:21 PM
I don`t see the picture you are trying to post but it`s most likely iron contamination. `From what... who knows, but what you want is a 1 liter bottle of iron-X from Corey @ CarPro

`

http://www.carpro-us.com/iron-x-lemon-scent-1-liter/ (`http://www.carpro-us.com/iron-x-lemon-scent-1-liter/`)

`

The correct way to solve the problem would then to use an aggressive clay bar or a Nanoskin Medium grade foam pad on a Dual action polisher to remove any remaining contaminants. `After that I would follow it up with a 1 step polish with an orange pad and HD Adapt, next an Isopropyl alcohol wipedown, followed by your favorite wax/sealant/coating.

`

If you`re stretched for time, you can always Iron-X, use fine clay, rewash the car, then seal/wax it. `

`

But as with anything, I like doing it the proper way.

Matth3w
04-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Do I need to remove the wax or something before the iron-x? What do you mean by an "aggressive" clay? Link?

Ron Ketcham
04-14-2014, 02:39 PM
valugard.net, there is the process and products video on usage as recommended and by many car manufacturers, the only "approved" and required process. Not clay, not some bath tubber product, but products and process. Nissan Motor Co has recommended that their dealers use this process and products.`

Accumulator
04-14-2014, 02:44 PM
What Ron said.

`

Get the "ABC" and decontaminate it the right way.` Simple as doing a series of three washes.` Works great.

mikered30
04-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Cant see the pic.Sure it isnt tar or fly regurgitate?

Accumulator
04-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Eh, pretty easy to ID ferrous contamination.` But the ABC would take care of most anything else that`s on there too.

`

It`s not a matter of things "rusting through", but really just a question of the vehicle looking [crappy].` I suppose a serious case *could* result in paint failure, which could maybe lead to actual body corrosion, but I dunno...I`ve gone through many winters with damaged panels that were down to the E-coat and those spots never rusted.` OTOH, Ron Ketcham is always saying how I don`t live in the real world (perhaps it`d be more accurate to say that *my vehicles* don`t ` :lol:`).