PDA

View Full Version : Restoring rubber window trim?

Pages : [1] 2

joenintiesc
04-10-2014, 10:44 PM
Below are pics of the rear side window trim on my 94 Tbird Supercoupe. The trim has a rubber, not a hard plastic, feel to it. Any suggestions on a good product and process to restore it, or at least get rid of that blotchy look? Maybe Carmor Fade to New? Would I need to somehow strip the outer layer of the trim first, and if so, how would I go about doing that?

Thanks for any input!

`

[attachment=9973:photo(12).JPG][attachment=9972:photo(11).JPG][attachment=9974:photo(13).JPG]

LawrenceSA
04-11-2014, 01:33 AM
I have had success cleaning up rubber like that using Cyclo APC @ 1:5 and a combo of brushes/MF towels.... keep cleaning until no more black transfer is happening, then dress

pwaug
04-11-2014, 06:25 AM
Mothers has a new TRIM cleaner that is getting great reviews.` I believe it`s named Back to Black Trim Cleaner.` Same process in that you`d clean until no additional transfer then dress.

Accumulator
04-11-2014, 12:17 PM
I`ve restored trim like that in even worse condition, including that on my older Crown Vic (mentioning that as it`s a Ford product).` Multi-step process:

`

-Clean with APC

-Clean with Griot`s Rubber Prep

-Abrade away "dead" rubber with Hi-Temp Heavy Cut Leveler (AKA "357"), a compound that *does not* stain trim which I keep on-hand just for this application

-Abrade/chemically clean with Klasse AIO

-Reclean with Griot`s Rubber Prep

-Coat with Ultima TTG

-Maintain with ValuGard Fast Finish

`

Repeat/omit steps from the above as dictated by the condition of the trim and the products you have available.

`

This approach has worked *GREAT* for me on numerous vehicles, on trim/seals that "obviously needed replaced, far too bad to repair...".

joenintiesc
04-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I just picked up a bottle of the Mothers Back-to-Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner Kit <span>#06141 at Pep Boys on sale for $6.00, so I will give it a go first. If it does not do the job, I guess I will try the 7 step process above. Although I`m not sure if it wouldn`t be cheaper to just take the spare rear quarter windows I have and get them tinted to match what`s on there now and swap them in, lol. Unfortunately, the trim surounding the glass is an integral part of the window...

Meticulous
04-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I just picked up a bottle of the Mothers Back-to-Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner Kit <span>#06141 at Pep Boys on sale for $6.00, so I will give it a go first. If it does not do the job, I guess I will try the 7 step process above. Although I`m not sure if it wouldn`t be cheaper to just take the spare rear quarter windows I have and get them tinted to match what`s on there now and swap them in, lol. Unfortunately, the trim surounding the glass is an integral part of the window...

`

Take pics, document process and let us know how it works out.

joenintiesc
04-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Well, the Mother`s product did not do much. I used the included brush, a dish scrubber sponge, and finally a regular scouring pad, rubbing vigorously on a small section, and there was virtually no improvement. The Mother`s did work well on some of the other less weathered trim though.

`

To follow the 7 step process outlined above would require me to order all of those products for probably right around $100 total.

`

I pulled the spare quarter windows I have and the trim on those is in much better condition, not weathered, but there are some light scratches/gouges. I tried the Mother`s and a Meguiars trim dressing on that trim and they cleaned up pretty nicely.

`

I will have to decided if it is easier/ more cost effective to get the spare windows tinted and swap them in, or order the above products and see if I can restore the original trim as outlined...

`

Unless someone knows of a miracle 5 minute wipe on wipe off $9.99 product that is foolproof and guaranteed to work? LOL?

dfoxengr
04-11-2014, 07:04 PM
1z plastik cleaner is amazing on rubber, for heavy cleaning. A little goes a very long way. Contains d-limonene (sp?) Which is a citrus based solvent. id use that then a trim dressing/ sealant (ultima, like accumulator said, is my favorite too)

But, you can use the trim dressing you already have too. Just wont be as durable as UTTG. So id try the 1z before changing parts. I bet itll work.

joenintiesc
04-11-2014, 08:31 PM
1z plastik cleaner is amazing on rubber, for heavy cleaning. A little goes a very long way. Contains d-limonene (sp?) Which is a citrus based solvent. id use that then a trim dressing/ sealant (ultima, like accumulator said, is my favorite too)

But, you can use the trim dressing you already have too. Just wont be as durable as UTTG. So id try the 1z before changing parts. I bet itll work.

Hmmm... but it sounds like it is an interior cleaner? You think it would work on exterior, sun damaged rubber type trim? It comes in the 1Z Einszett Interior Care Kit (`http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-interior-care-kit.html`) for $30, or can be bought by itself for $11. Seems like a decent price for the kit along with 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner, and 1Z Einszett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege plus some apllicators and mf...
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/Img/trans_1x1.gif

`

Swanicyouth
04-11-2014, 08:39 PM
I can`t see the pics for some reason.

However, I had an issue that sounds similar with my BMW and is common on BMW convertibles. The thick rubber roof gasket comes from the factory with some type of shiny coating (UV protection?). Anyway, it always fades and gets blotchy and looks like crap after a few years. The shiny part wears off in areas.

So, to remedy this, I cleaned it with Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner - a great rubber cleaner. Then, I used fine sandpaper to carefully sand off the shiny coating - so the whole gasket looked matte and uniform.

After that, I coated it with DLux. It continues to look great over a year later.

So, what I`m trying to say is, if it looks blotchy or uneven, it may not be "dirt" - so cleaning won`t remedy it. It may be some shiny coating on the rubber that is wearing away.

joenintiesc
04-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Yes, you described it exactly. It`s a coating that is wearing off. I thought about using something more abrasive but was afraid I would end up scratching it and creating grooves. What grit sandpaper did you use? I also thought about using a very fine steel wool? I think we are on to something here, lol! I need to rub the rest of that coating off and then proceed from there...

Swanicyouth
04-11-2014, 09:06 PM
I don`t recall the grit - maybe it was like 1500-2000. But, it didn`t leave groves for me. I would think sand paper would leave a better finish than steel wool.

This is what it looks like now (car is dirty):

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/ynapu8aj.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/12/u2u5a4ep.jpg

The "gloss" is from DLux. I have the 1Z Plastic Cleaner as well. It works good, but not as good as TS Tire Cleaner IMHO.

joenintiesc
04-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Cool. Were you able to see my pics at all? I am going to give it a shot tomorrow using the sandpaper with the Mothers product.

Accumulator
04-12-2014, 02:42 PM
joeninetiesc- You don`t have to do *all* of the things I suggested.

`

Some of the products I mentioned are things I honestly think you should have on the shelf anyhow:

Griot`s Rubber Prep (*everybody* should have a bottle of that stuff IMO), KAIO, FastFinish.

`

The FastFinish can kinda subsitute for the Ultima, just have to reapply it often (better to use that than a dressing IMO).

`

You could try stripping off some of the "dead"/oxidized rubber by rubbing it with a cloth moistened with IPA.

joenintiesc
04-12-2014, 03:13 PM
The Ultima TTG is pricey but I seem to come across a lot of positive feedback about it, so I think I will order some. Along with the Griots prep and KAIO - which I had thought about buying many times before...