PDA

View Full Version : Coating for Jet Black BMW

Beccia
03-27-2014, 01:51 PM
<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">Autopia,

`

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">it`s been a while since i`ve had any activity on this board, but I would love some advice. I`m posting this question on several boards, but everyone has different experiences.`

`

<span style="background-color:rgb(254,253,253);color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">I have a potential client with a new (to him) Jet Black BMW 5 series.`

`

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">I do not have Jet Black paint experience, but from reading the many forums out there, a lot of you do, and a lot of you have posted products/pads/techniques for correcting this finicky paint -<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">`thank you for that.http://www.live2detail.com/images/smilies/reading.gif

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">What, per your experiences, has been the best coating for this paint? I`ve got limited coating experience, compared to everyone else, so any knowledge is welcome. I want to try to sell a coating for this client to make vehicle appearance maintenance easier for him in the long run.`

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">Please post any good/bad experiences choosing one over the other, and if you have any special tips that worked better for you than the `standard` methods of application I am all ears.`

<span style="background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">I`ve got some quick cell phone shots of what I`d be dealing with.. `when I figure out how to upload them here I will.. `

`

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">the interior is fairly decent - this car had two owners prior, one that smoked -stale smoke smell over cheap air freshener - doesn`t get much better than that.. SO2Pure anyone?

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">The second owner did not care for the vehicle`s looks, but kept meticulous care of the mechanics of the vehicle. It could use some work, but not anything more than I can handle at first glance.`

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">I`m thinking of CQUK as my first instinct, and CQ is the system i`m most comfortable with, and my above question may result in "Use what you want, there`s not a right answer", which would be good too. But I`m not opposed to trying the others at all..`

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">Duragloss? OC? the offerings of PBMA?? Other?

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(254,253,253);">Feedback please.

Jean-Claude
03-27-2014, 03:05 PM
I`ve used the major coatings available. You will find you like to install some more than others and they all have their own character. With your not having experience to fall back on, I think you`ll be very happy with how CQUK comes out.

David Fermani
03-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Focus less on what coating and more on correcting the paint and finishing down properly. And most of all coaching your client how to maintain his perfect finish. No coating will prevent improper wash swirls so help him protect his investment the right way. Also, Opti-Coat 2.0 is a very user friendly coating and lasts the longest out of all the coatings. Another new comer is Americoat by Americana Car Care (Barry Theal).`

`

Here`s a recent thread where his products were used: `http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/133106-bmw-330ci-with-americoat-by-all-shine-detailing/ (`http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/133106-bmw-330ci-with-americoat-by-all-shine-detailing/`)

Beccia
03-27-2014, 07:51 PM
I`ve used the major coatings available. You will find you like to install some more than others and they all have their own character. With your not having experience to fall back on, I think you`ll be very happy with how CQUK comes out.

`

Thank you, Jean-Claude.

`

Focus less on what coating and more on correcting the paint and finishing down properly. And most of all coaching your client how to maintain his perfect finish. No coating will prevent improper wash swirls so help him protect his investment the right way. Also, Opti-Coat 2.0 is a very user friendly coating and lasts the longest out of all the coatings. Another new comer is Americoat by Americana Car Care (Barry Theal).`

`

Here`s a recent thread where his products were used: `http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/133106-bmw-330ci-with-americoat-by-all-shine-detailing/ (`http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/133106-bmw-330ci-with-americoat-by-all-shine-detailing/`)

`

No doubt, proper polishing technique is paramount to the final look of the coating. And this client will be one that I keep in contact with frequently. He`s absorbed much of the tips I`ve given him already, and even if he doesn`t opt for the coating, proper wash technique will help minimize future damage. I`ve got plenty of LSP options that can be put to this vehicle.

`

Thank you for your tip on Americana. I`ve been following Barrry`s growth in the industry for some time now. I`m very excited about that product line as well.`

bunkeroo26
03-28-2014, 07:32 AM
I realize that this is not your question :

But do you have all of the pads and products

to remove the majority of swirls from the black?

Is there already a product line that you use?

I ask because some make it easier to coat,

because the product lines work together.

That being said, are you sold on a coating?

I just have the suggestion that you can seal

the paint. While this does not stay as long,

this becomes opportunity for customer to return

and have car resealed every few months.

Yes, coating is superior in every way. I just like

Hydr02 because of its ease of install. Spray on,

Rinse off. Done.

As for coatings, I chose opti-coat nearly every time.

It`s easy to install, with great durability. You just

need to find out what the customer likes. If it is

Slickness, then cquk is a good alternative. If it

is durability and reflection, I go Opti Coat every time.

If you don`t have Opti Coat experience, I suggest to

order Opti Seal, and practice installation with that.

This installs nearly identical to the coating.

Beccia
03-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Thank you for your response, WWWW. You bring up valid points and questions, and I love a good discussion thread. I appreciate your input.`

`

i`m an enthusiast detailer, at best, but I still want to research the most effective ways of treating a car`s finish, to Autopian standards, and this will be my first run at the JB paint system. i won`t see this car for a few weeks, yet, so I have time to do the research, purchase whatever is needed, and get my ducks in a row prior to correction :)

`

To quote a great line from David`s Nitro Seal thread:

`
`

Seems I will never run out of products to try.

`
<span style="font-size:14px;">To answer your question more directly, WWWW, I plan on testing with Carpro Fixer and Reflect on LC (for now) flat foam pads - most likely white and blue, respectively, as the rumors from those that have dealt with JB paint is that it is very soft and finicky. I`ll be using a 6" GG DA `the 3" GG as well.`
`
<span style="font-size:14px;">Carpro is my manufacturer of choice for all steps, from what i have on hand, and I know their products just flat out work as described and deliver results.`<span style="font-size:14px;">But that`s what the test is for prior to going HAM on the whole vehicle.`
`
I have access to CarBrite, Megs, Optimum, and Chemical guys compounds/polishes, but there are many other really successful lines always lurking in the background - Menz, HD, Scholl, etc etc etc... ad infinitum, that I am eager to try once my stocks run low. :)
`
<span style="font-size:14px;">But as far as LSP, this vehicle sits outside unprotected 24/7, it is a DD, so I feel that a coating would be best as it will help minimize environmental effects between wash periods.`
`
BUT i do have an array of LSPs to go to, should a coating NOT be what the client chooses.`

Envious Eric
04-03-2014, 10:40 AM
carpro will be easiest on jet black cars.` others tend to require too much wiping, negating the perfected finish

Beccia
04-03-2014, 07:53 PM
carpro will be easiest on jet black cars.` others tend to require too much wiping, negating the perfected finish

`

Thank you for your input. :)