PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Help! Black Magic GTI!

Msuperbauer
03-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Hello!` So My GTI encountered the trash can on it`s way out of the garage yesterday :(` The edge where the truck hooks onto the can itself is sharp and.... I`ll let the pictures do the talking.` What are my options?` I can barely feel the scratches with my fingernail, but I can feel them..` Scratches THIS deep are a little out of my area of expertise. Not really ready to get repainted, looking to hide as much (and as well) as possible.` Thank you in advance!!

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

`

Accumulator
03-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Msuperbauer- If you`re gonna consider touching it up, I`d decide upon that before you do any correction (i.e., abrasion) so you have plenty of clear to work with.` I`ve sometimes tried to correct such stuff figuring "it`ll be good enough.." and then when it *wasn`t* good enough after all I had already thinned the surrounding clear so much that my options were limited.

`

Anywhere it`s all the way through the clear, let alone deeper (maybe that spot at the right-hand edge of the fuel door) will call for touching up, so first order of business IMO is to really see how bad things are (i.e., break out the magnification and very good lighting).

Msuperbauer
03-26-2014, 06:41 AM
After some extensive research, my plan (as of now) is to try and hit the scratch with 2000 grit and wets and. I will update this weekend with the results. I may have to touch up paint after wet sanding.

Accumulator
03-26-2014, 10:45 AM
Msuperbauer- Any way I can talk you out of that?

`

You ever wetsand before?` If not, I *seriously* implore you not to do it now.

`

Touch up first, *then* wetsand if you`re gonna wetsand at all.` If you wetsand first you won`t have enough remaining clear on that area to level your touchup.` DON`T finish up with 2K either, do the final sanding with 3-4K.

`

What are you planning to use to correct the sanding scratches?` It`s harder do do that than most people would ever imagine.

`

Any way I can talk you out of....Sorry, I simply can`t overstate how adamantly I believe it`d be a bad idea.` And NO, I`m not condescending or otherwise making unflattering assumptions.` It really is that hard to wetsand without making things a whole lot worse (if not immediately, than a year or so down the road after the thinned clear has been exposed to UV).