PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts about 1000p ~vs~ 476s

Fallz
03-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Durability , shine , ease of use ???

Accumulator
03-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Fallguy- OK, first the disclaimer- my results might not be *your* results ;)` Now...

`

I find FK1000P *SO* much more durable than 476S that I`ve quit using the 476S on all of my drivers except the `93 Audi (its paint is just too trashed for the FK to look good, the 476S looks better on something with such severe flaws).` I might even put the FK on my wife`s A8 and my S8!` And I was`a *HUGE* 476S fan, bought it by the case and talked people like Scottwax into trying it.` My sample tin of FK1000P sat on the shelf for years because I had zero interest in trying something new, I was that satisfied with my other LSPs!

`

Now the FK1000P is my overall favorite LSP of all time, period.

`

Shine- somewhat "too shiny", "sealanty" if you want to be negative about it.` I thought it looked too much that way on the metallic black Yukon I used to have (switched it ot the FK purely for durability/protection) but other people *loved* how it looked...like strangers chasing me down in parking lots to compliment it and ask what I use.

`

Ease of use?` Not quite as easy as 476S I suppose, but I sure don`t think it`s a PIA.` Best to keep it off trim (though I`ve used it *on* trim), sorta in the same class as 476S in that regard.` Some tins of FK1000P are harder than others, and the unusually hard stuff is a bit harder to work.` But generally/overall, no worries it`s just another pastewax, just a synthetic one.

`

I *would* advise you to not layer it in one go- do one coat and then reapply after the next regularly-scheduled wash.` Layering too soon can result in pseudo-holograms IME, though Ron Ketcham thinks that was due to user-error on my part.

Fallz
03-23-2014, 08:16 PM
This would be on my silver 4Runner. `I will do some test patches on my hood and see what finish I like best. As far as durability goes the 1000p that i put on in fall (2 coats ) did survive the winter, still beads water but the shine kinda pooped out on me as of now. This has been a very harsh winter here , lots of road salt and snow , ice ect… `Also many many car washes (the touchless kind ) then I would bring home and wash again with some ONR or DG rinse less wash. Now that I think about it for something to stand up to all that has to be pretty durable IMO.`

Accumulator
03-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Fallguy- Gee, your 4Runner went through a lot more than my Tahoe.` Wonder if just adding a QD like FK425 at the end of each wash would`ve made all the diff (or *did* you do that?` We were discussing the FK425 on another thread..).` Or using a rinseless wash that leaves more whatever-it-is-polymer-stuff behind.

`

And heh heh, I bet that same winter experience would`ve simply *killed* 476S; I redid one area of the beater-Audi with 476S even though it didn`t go through all *that* much this winter season (we were driving other things).

Bill D
03-24-2014, 01:42 PM
I have 476 on my dad`s minivan. We will see how if fares through a Florida spring and summer. If it doesn`t suffice, I`ll get the 1000p.