PDA

View Full Version : Which pad/speed for these products?

geoffbcvt
03-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Hey guys,

`

Long time lurker here from Canada. Have to say that I`ve found tons of useful info here so far. Here`s my situation:

`

Looking to remove some scratches/spider webbing/swirls from the paint on my truck. 98 Dakota R/T Black. I tried using the SSR 3/2.5/1 then went into the Klasse AIO and then the Glaze. Seemed to work alright, but most of the deep scratches are still there. I know I was missing something and felt it had to do with the pads I was using. Anyways, here`s my plan of attack:

`

1) SSR-3 with CCS Orange Pad

2) SSR-2.5 with CCS Pink Pad

3) SSR-1 with CCS Green Pad

4) Klasse AIO with CCS Red Pad

5) Klasse Glaze with CCS Gold Pad

6) Finish with Zymol Concours Glaze (apply by hand)

`

Does this seem like the right pads for the products i`ll be using? What about the speed for each product? I know to use a slow speed to spread it around, but what should I be kicking up the speed to for each product? I`ll be using my PC7424.

Accumulator
03-18-2014, 02:19 PM
geoffbcvt- Welcome to Autopia!

`

Noting that I don`t use the SSR line....

`

Plan on using the SSR-3 with the aggressive pad (I prefer MF Cutting Disks for most correction) until the marring is basically gone, just use the milder combos to refine the already-corrected finish.

`

I like a somewhat firmer/more aggressive pad with KAIO, one that`s just mild enough to not have any functional cut on the paint you`re working.` I generally use the Griot`s orange polishing pad (very different from other "orange" pads, similar to the LC Hydrotech tangerine one).

`

I do KSG by hand, and I`d get at least four-six layers on there before you consider topping it (which I don`t do as I want to add more KSG later).

`

Is that "spreading around" advisable with the SSR products?` I don`t know...but I generally don`t do much spreading with the products I use.

`

I do most all my correction at speed 6, maybe 4.5-5 with small pads.` If your PC is the older, non-XP model then that`s probably your problem,` IME it can take many hours of work to do significant correction that those machines (I have two of `em); I had to step down to 4" pads to get remotely timely correction.` Steping up to a more potent machine (that doesn`t bog down as readily) will utterly transform the experience, but it`s easy for me to spend your money.

geoffbcvt
03-18-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the reply Accumulator!

`

Question in regards to the KSG: Do you let the glaze sit 24hrs in between coats? Buff off, wait 24 hrs to cure, re-apply second coat etc?`

`

I`ve heard to lightly spread the SSR around at speed 2, then kick it up. Seem to get mixed feedback on that. I`ll look into those pads that you use and see how they cross between the CCS colors.

`

I`m currently using the PC-XP model with 6" CCS pads.

Accumulator
03-19-2014, 11:41 AM
geoffbcvt- Glad to hear you have the XP model PC!

`

Yeah, I do wait about 24 hours between coats of KSG, which can sure be a hassle sometimes (been forever since I used it on an entire vehicle).` I`d get as many coats as possible on there the first go-`round and then add another after each of the next few washes.

`

Note that I`ll sometimes leave the KSG on there, like overnight, before I buff it off.` Seems to come off eve easier the longer I let it sit, and as long as the shop stays clean (that might be a big "if" for some people..) it works fine.` I do "fog" the surface with my breath while I buff it off; the little bit of moisture makes the whole thing go easier (I do this with almost all my LSPs).