PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Towels

AquaHawk
03-13-2014, 12:02 AM
Tomorrow I have to do that bus, so I read some stuff here and there, and I have these high quality 100% Egyptian cotton towels and I was wondering If I can use those on the surface? I really don`t want to do this, I have MF towels, just not big ones. But, is it safe? Even if I just "dab" the car with the towels would that be okay, then go over the car with a MF or 2 to completely dry it?

(The towels aren`t old, but they have holes in them and some are stained by make-up (not mine lol :) ) that is why I`m willing to use them)

Accumulator
03-13-2014, 12:53 PM
AquaHawk- I`d CD-test them.` IMO, VERY few cotton towels will be safe when used dry, and that includes CBT/DFT/etc. and Koala-soft.` I use egyptian cotton for my bath towels, and I doubt that even my Christy`s would be soft enough for detailing use.

`

When damp, especially with a QD or rinselss wash, they *might* soften up enough to be OK, but it`s still risky.

`

No, I`m not a cotton towel-hater!` I like the way cotton soaks up water but I`m careful to blot instead of rub.` I`ve messed up very hard clear by wiping it dry with some DFT`cotton towels that I failed to test first.` They`d worked OK before, but then....no, even though they still felt soft to me.

bunkeroo26
03-13-2014, 11:53 PM
I wouldn`t use towels that are stained. Not on paint.

Accumulator
03-14-2014, 01:26 PM
wwww-willywallywashwax- I`ve gradually softened my position on stained towels.` I use to be like you are, but now I give some consideration to *what caused the stain* and sometimes I go ahead and rub away on my paint with something that I consider stained with harmless [stuff].` I sure do give it careful consideration though!

David Fermani
03-14-2014, 06:15 PM
I prefer cotton on interiors and MF on exteriors *on most applications*.`

bunkeroo26
03-15-2014, 09:25 AM
I would be worried of make up residue.

As long as there are no oils or anything,

could it hurt? Probably not.

I would probably use them for tires though.

I wouldn`t chance any make up residue on interior either.

Accumulator
03-15-2014, 12:36 PM
One thing about cotton towels for tires and interior, they can leave lint behind.` Noting that I just finished doing some work with a cotton towel in the Tahoe, you simply *gotta* keep them away from the black material surrounding the side glass!` I like cotton towels for the intitial/scrubbing pass on glass but I quit using them for that on the inside glass (think: dog-smudges) because once the lint gets stuck to certain surfaces I have a whole `nother job to do cleaning it off.

`

wwww-willywallywashwax- No "makeup residue" issues here as my detailing and bathroom towels never get mixed together.` My "general household use" ones and the detailing towels can get mixed, but those never touch paint anyhow and by the time I get finished laundering them I`m confident there won`t be any likelihood of contamination.` Come to think of it, I`ve never had any laundering issues from Accumulatorette`s makeup.

madwaxok
03-16-2014, 12:03 AM
Mf is all I use on my vehicles besides some foam pads and applicators. Wheel and tire brushes and my fender well brush.

bunkeroo26
03-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Accumulator, op said make up stains

Accumulator
03-16-2014, 12:36 PM
wwww-willywallywashwax- OOPS! :o` Thanks for getting me back on track!

`

Guess there are different types of "makeup stains", but I still wouldn`t completely write off the towels.` Nothing Accumulatorette gets on her washcloths/towels would render them unsuitable to me.` Not that I`d touch paint with those things anyhow!