PDA

View Full Version : A lost n00b; are these appropriate choices?

QueenMauw
03-09-2014, 12:14 PM
We just bought a new car and I`d like to get something reasonably easy to keep it clean. I bought Crystal-Glo for our other vehicle (Acura MDX) and with 3 kids and working full time, the only time I can spend that many hours washing it and doing the treatment is once per year on the few weeks off I have in the summer. And once winter hits, even if I had time, it`s way too cold here to wash on the driveway (it was literally -60F with windchill here a few weeks ago). It ends up going through the brushless tricolour foam at a local gas station about once a month from about October-June which I never wanted to do. Not to mention the MDX is giant and I have to stand on a ladder to do the roof. :p

`

So, I`d like to do better with the new vehicle and also be able to do this on my Acura. I`m thinking a rinse less product so I can do it in the garage. Likely still too cold in the garage to do it when we have our brutal temps in Jan/Feb, but if I can do it the other months at least that would be nice.`

`

I`m thinking ONR. But I don`t know if I should get the ONRWS or ONRWW. The new car should have a clay treatment I think and the Acura probably needs one too, so I was thinking the ONRWS so I could mix it up as a clay treatment as well?`

`

Then I was thinking to get some of the Opti-Clean for when the car is dirtier as I see Optimum says you can use a waterless wash prior to the ONR products in those cases.

`

For interior vinyl, 303 seems to be a good bet? If I get the protectant, what do I wash it with first? Also get their fabric/vinyl cleaner? Is there an all in one product that would work for me?

`

The new car doesn`t have leather seats but does have leather steering wheel, shifter knob, etc. and the MDX has leather seats. I`d been using the leather & vinyl treatment but since I`ve had so little opportunity to actually clean the car, it doesn`t seem to be taking out the blue from our jeans anymore....grrrr. Any suggestions on a leather cleaner/conditioner that would work well on light taupe coloured leather and would also be good for the black leather trim in our new vehicle?

`

Lastly, I`m lost as to what to use to use to clean the vehicle with, like seriously, I can`t even find a decent bucket around here. I know I need a grit guard, do those typically fit in any bucket?`

`

And there are so may micro fibre clothes to choose from...and wash mitts...and sponges...OH MY! I`m not even sure where to start.`

`

I`m likely ordering from eshine.ca if that helps anyone recommend anything. I`ve also got Canadian Tire, NAPA, and PartSource (I think it`s owned by Canadian Tire still?), WalMart, Target...not much for anything decent, but in case those stores have anything good.

`

Thanks for any advice!

`

`

Accumulator
03-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Dory Welcome to Autopia!

`

I`m not the best guy to consult when it comes to waterless/rinseless washes, but maybe I can help get you pointed in the right direction.

`

Do a search/google on Garry Dean Wash Method.` Garry sells a rinseless product called Infinite Use Detail Juice with is in the same category as ONRWW and he has a great approach for using such products.

`

IMO interior vinyl doesn`t really need protecting with products like 303.` I just go over mine occasionally with something like Meguiar`s Interior Quick Detailer.` For more thorough cleaning you could look into Griot`s Garage Interior Cleaner or buy an All Purpose Cleaner ("APC") and dilute it to the right strength.

`

Leather is a somewhat, uhm....involved topic, but look into Leather Doctor, Leather Masters, and Sonus.` I`ve used all three with good results.` IIRC Leather Doctor has specifically addressed the denim dye transfer issue.

`

Hope this was at least of some little help.

David Fermani
03-09-2014, 01:08 PM
If you`re going to go with Optimum, you should strongly consider using their entire line of products. My personal favorites are:

`

ONR with wax

Power Clean

Tire Protectant

`

And Opti-Coat or course :)

JohnZ3MC
03-09-2014, 01:28 PM
It would take a book to answer all your questions but here`s a start.

`

First of all, where are you in Canada eh?``` The two best sources for Canada are Eshine and Auto Obsessed.` One in Ontario, one in Alberta.` Both are great sites and I`ve ordered from both.` Both ship quickly and have great customer service.

`

Clay - go to Lordco and get the Meguiar`s kit.`

ONR regular.` Use it as a wash, a clay lube, and a QD.` Very versatile.

Home Depot or most any supply store or plastic store like the local Industrial Plastics have a ton of buckets and spray bottles.` A grit guard will fit in those 5 gal. buckets.

`

Menzerna`s PowerLock will be the perfect sealant for your busy lifestyle.` Super easy to apply and remove, super shine, and extremely long lasting protection.` Use 2 or 3 layers with 3 hrs between layers.

`

Interior - 303 is ok but I don`t like the smell personally.` Einzett makes a Cockpit Premium that works like a champ.` Get it instead.

Woollite and water, 20:1 is an extremely gentle cleaner for interiors.`

`

Leather - a tricky subject because of all the types of leather available.` The leather in the BMW M Coupe is black hide and Leatherique works very well.` The `leather` in the DD is plastic stuff that sort of looks a bit like leather if you hold your head just right and squint a bit (Ford Escape).` The Woolite mix cleans it up nicely.```` Swissvax makes a high end leather kit that works well with leather but the kit costs an arm and a leg and would be totally stupid for the Escape.` Others will add their fav. leather products.

`

Microfiber towels - Thin ones from Costco are good for door jambs, wheel wells, interior work.` Heavier ones are good for wax/sealant removal.` They`re measured in grams/sq meter.` 350 - 600 are the ones you want for wax/sealant/surface work.`

`

Washing tools - sheepskin mitt, microfiber mitt, microfiber pads.` Not old t-shirts.

`

Drying - The `Dry Me Crazy` microfiber towel has been getting huge reviews lately.` Waffle weave microfiber towels work well too.` More and more guys are drying their cars with a dual power leaf blower.` Body, wheels, cracks, creases grills, tires, all blow dry well and the no touch idea minimizes swirls during the drying process.

`

Lastly, never be afraid to use the search function here.` All your questions have been asked a million times before and the fellows here all know their stuff really well.` Searching really is a tremendous resource.

`

Oops, forgot to ask about the new car.` What is it and what colour?` You did mention the Acura SUV but not the new one?`

QueenMauw
03-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Do a search/google on Garry Dean Wash Method.` Garry sells a rinseless product called Infinite Use Detail Juice with is in the same category as ONRWW and he has a great approach for using such products.

`

Thanks, just did! The one bucket and lack of grit guard really appeals to me. I`d much rather use a ton of cloths than rinse as I go. Thanks for pointing me in this direction. The rest of your post was really useful as well.

`

If you`re going to go with Optimum, you should strongly consider using their entire line of products. My personal favorites are:

`

ONR with wax

Power Clean

Tire Protectant

`

And Opti-Coat or course :)

`

And I`d missed that they made an all purpose cleaner. The Power Clean sounds good. Thanks so much!

`

It would take a book to answer all your questions but here`s a start.

`

First of all, where are you in Canada eh?``` The two best sources for Canada are Eshine and Auto Obsessed.` One in Ontario, one in Alberta.` Both are great sites and I`ve ordered from both.` Both ship quickly and have great customer service.

`

Clay - go to Lordco and get the Meguiar`s kit.`

ONR regular.` Use it as a wash, a clay lube, and a QD.` Very versatile.

Home Depot or most any supply store or plastic store like the local Industrial Plastics have a ton of buckets and spray bottles.` A grit guard will fit in those 5 gal. buckets.

`

Menzerna`s PowerLock will be the perfect sealant for your busy lifestyle.` Super easy to apply and remove, super shine, and extremely long lasting protection.` Use 2 or 3 layers with 3 hrs between layers.

`

Interior - 303 is ok but I don`t like the smell personally.` Einzett makes a Cockpit Premium that works like a champ.` Get it instead.

Woollite and water, 20:1 is an extremely gentle cleaner for interiors.`

`

Leather - a tricky subject because of all the types of leather available.` The leather in the BMW M Coupe is black hide and Leatherique works very well.` The `leather` in the DD is plastic stuff that sort of looks a bit like leather if you hold your head just right and squint a bit (Ford Escape).` The Woolite mix cleans it up nicely.```` Swissvax makes a high end leather kit that works well with leather but the kit costs an arm and a leg and would be totally stupid for the Escape.` Others will add their fav. leather products.

`

Microfiber towels - Thin ones from Costco are good for door jambs, wheel wells, interior work.` Heavier ones are good for wax/sealant removal.` They`re measured in grams/sq meter.` 350 - 600 are the ones you want for wax/sealant/surface work.`

`

Washing tools - sheepskin mitt, microfiber mitt, microfiber pads.` Not old t-shirts.

`

Drying - The `Dry Me Crazy` microfiber towel has been getting huge reviews lately.` Waffle weave microfiber towels work well too.` More and more guys are drying their cars with a dual power leaf blower.` Body, wheels, cracks, creases grills, tires, all blow dry well and the no touch idea minimizes swirls during the drying process.

`

Lastly, never be afraid to use the search function here.` All your questions have been asked a million times before and the fellows here all know their stuff really well.` Searching really is a tremendous resource.

`

Oops, forgot to ask about the new car.` What is it and what colour?` You did mention the Acura SUV but not the new one?`

`

Awesome, great info. Thank you! I`ve actually been searching for a few days, it just seems that there are a thousand different answers to every question (understandably!). :D``With my kids jumping on me, juggling the laundry and driving them to activities, I`ve gotten lost in my plethora of open tabs and have found making any sort of a decision difficult. Ha ha.`

`

Thanks for telling me about Auto Obsessed. I`m way closer to Edmonton than I am to Ontario so shipping should be quicker and cheaper for small orders.`

`

The new car is a 2014 Mazda3 hatchback and it`s Soul Red. Mazda apparently uses a three layer system to create the colour (meaning they charge extra for that paint colour :rolleyes:`) http://www.mazda-news.eu/2013/03/13/about-the-soul-red-metallic-color/ (`http://www.mazda-news.eu/2013/03/13/about-the-soul-red-metallic-color/`) Don`t know if that means it requires anything special to keep it looking snazzy? The PowerLock you mentioned sounds like it would be awesome.

`

As for the Meguiar kit, is this the one?`http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/meguiar-39-s-smooth-surface-clay-kit-0392846p.html#.Uxy7-9xR6jI (`http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/meguiar-39-s-smooth-surface-clay-kit-0392846p.html#.Uxy7-9xR6jI`) If so, that`s easy for me to pick up. In fact, that`s the kit I bought and used when we first got the MDX.`

`

Thanks again everyone! Your replies are certainly making this process easier!

bunkeroo26
03-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Power clean is awesome. Definitely get that if you get ONR. What I like about power clean, is you can use it for interiors, or add it to ONR (low concentration) and it doesn`t stop the rinseless nature of ONR.

Gary Dean Method is great.

For a seal that is cheap, easy and quick, check out Opti Seal. I really can`t say enough at how well the optimum line works with each other.

If course there are some HD products that I would like to try.

QueenMauw
03-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Everyone has been super helpful, thank you!

`

I think this time round I am going to order all Optimum products just so they can "work together". I still haven`t decided if to go with the ONRWS or the ONRWW...I`m leaning WS and using the clay dilution for starters. If I do the WW, I`ll get something like the Meguiars clay bar for starters. And then I`ll go with Opti Seal; I like that I can use it on my wheels as well! I`ll also get the Power Clean. I really like that the Power Clean can deal with bugs and tar which seem to be standard on our highways in the summer.

`

Is the Optimum tire protectant mentioned by David above, the Tire Shine product?

`

I haven`t quite figured out what I`ll do for leather yet. I`ll research some of the products mentioned earlier; I just haven`t had the chance to do that yet.`

bunkeroo26
03-09-2014, 09:02 PM
What I like about the normal ONR, is that you can use it as a prep for polish.

Regardless what products you get, you can man`s then work for you. Example: I just took a chemical guys caranuba thick liquid and added it and ONRww in a spray bottle. I just love it. Just found this today.

My point was that you can adapt how you use the products. Just look at the Gary Dean Method you were talking about. The optimum factory wouldn`t have suggested this. It is ingenuity and experimentation that moves us forward. Test and compare with an open mind.

To see how some products duffer, check out Nth ` s trim thread and son1c`s wax thread. These are great examples of how to look at products and evaluate then.

If you are indeed a noob, buying one product line might be the best choice. This is until you find it what productscan work with what, and how to gauge good results. Optimum would be a good idea, but there are others that make good starter kits also.

bunkeroo26
03-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Also, look into bucket heaters. I don`t have a need for them, but it sounds as you might. I spent only a small time pricing them, but they seemed cheap.

pwaug
03-09-2014, 10:37 PM
`

`

I haven`t quite figured out what I`ll do for leather yet. I`ll research some of the products mentioned earlier; I just haven`t had the chance to do that yet.`

`

As long as you`re sticking with the Optimum line you might want to take a look at <span style="font-size:14px;"><span style="font-family:arial;">Optimum Leather Protectant (a.k.a. Protectant Plus) cleans, restores and protects leather surfaces, vinyl surfaces and moldings.` I use it on my leather seats and all the vinyl and plastic in the car.` Really great to be able to use one product for the entire interior.` 2-3 times a year seems to be often enough with maintence wipe downs in between.

JohnZ3MC
03-10-2014, 12:01 AM
Yup, the Meg`s clay kit at Canadian tire is the one I was thinking about.

cobrar97
03-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Just my quick 0.02.` If you can order online and get the Nanoskin product instead of a clay bar, you will be sooooo much happier.` Clay had it`s day, but after using the Nanoskin product, you`ll never, ever go back.` It`s 10 times easier, more effective, and it lasts longer.` Also...if you drop it, it`s not ruined.` I use the Nanoskin wash mit (even though I don`t use it as a wash mit per say), I wash the car like usual, dry, and then proceed with the Nanoskin like you would with clay.

`

As others have said, you probably want to go with the regular ONR...it`s really versatile.` The Opti-Seal and Opti-Coat are great products as well...high recommend them.

`

I have used all the leather products mentioned, and Leather Master products are the best in my opinion...and for the leathers I`ve needed to treat and maintain.

`

Everything else sounds like you`re on the right track.` Hope that Mazda3 stays special-red for a long time to come!

QueenMauw
03-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Thanks cobrar97! I hadn`t heard of Nanoskin and it sounds right up my alley. I haven`t ordered anything yet as I haven`t had a chance to sit down and make a list so I can order mistake free. ;)

I hope to order this week as spring seems to have arrived and even if I was willing to do the touchless car wash (which I`m not), the line ups are 30-60 minutes long.

cobrar97
03-17-2014, 04:18 PM
I know what you mean about the touchless wash.` I have to run my vehicle through there a few times over the winter just to get the salt and stuff off.` I simply try not to look at my vehicle until I can get back to washing/waxing again...it just makes me sick.` But that time has finally come.

`

I had used clay for many, many years...it`s just the thing there was, and it worked.` I was skeptical about the Nanoskin, but someone got me to try it, and I can honest say`(to me anyhow), it was one of those miracle products I can`t believe I didn`t have.` A lot of stuff is all about the hype or just the flavor of the month, and I`ve been disappointed many times...but this is nothing like that.` Give it a shot...you`ll be more than amazed.` Good luck!