PDA

View Full Version : Good sealant available locally?

Pages : [1] 2

RVM
03-07-2014, 05:48 PM
I don`t really care about a lot of gloss or shine.` I offroad a lot and there is no point in that.` I do, however, want to protect my paint as well as I can.` I used to use Klasse AIO, but I ran out and just want to find something I can get in a store locally.` Are there any decent paint sealants available in stores like Autozone?

`

`

Meticulous
03-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Duragloss 501 or 105 with 601 or Megs Ultimate Liquid Wax or Paste Wax. Great stuff.

tom p.
03-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Collinite #845 found at some car dealers and at marine supply stores assuming you`re in the USA.

RVM
03-07-2014, 06:00 PM
Collinite #845 found at some car dealers and at marine supply stores assuming you`re in the USA.

That`s the yellowish insulator wax right?` I used to put that over my Klasse AIO.`

`

Not really interested in two layers.` Would prefer to just do two coats of a single product every two or three months.

`

I saw the Meg Ultimate liquid in the store.` Would it work well as a standalone?

JohnZ3MC
03-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Locally many of the Collinite family of products can be found at marine supply stores so maybe have a look` at your boat places.

Meticulous
03-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Yes Meg`s ULW will work as a stand alone very well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hernandez.Art13
03-11-2014, 02:59 AM
For durability from a wax I would go with Collinite 476s

But if I were you I would consider coating the paint.

My car is Opti Coated and I am glad that I coated it. It is such an easy breeze cleaning the paint.

Not sure how it would hold up against offroading however.

Sent from my LGMS659 using Tapatalk

fdresq4
03-11-2014, 04:22 AM
What about Klaase SG in the silver bottle?

jfelbab
03-11-2014, 11:10 AM
Been pleased with Meg`s ULW on my DD for over a year now. `Good slickness, durability and reflective shine for an OTC product. `Goes on really thin so a bottle lasts a very long time.

RVM
03-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Not too worried about an opticoat.` It`ll get scratched and scraped right off on the trails.` I don`t care about gloss and whatnot (I prefer semi-gloss finishes anyway - gloss looks cheap to me) because my paint is going to get scratched, scraped and banged up regularly.` I`ve already got a ton of touchup paint on it just to keep the bare metal from being exposed so spending the money and all the hours to get a good finish are pointless to me.` I care only about UV protection, grime/salt/road grunge/weather protection and durability.` Looks are virtually meaningless.

`

Picking up a bottle of the Megs ULW today and will apply two coats when the weather here in Denver warms up a bit.`

`

I`ll post back my opinion, though it seems there are already several good reviews of the stuff already.` :)

`

If it matters it`s a 2007 4Runner in Shadow Mica.`

bunkeroo26
03-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Being scraped off is perfect reason to have Opti Coat. It only costs about 20 bucks per car application paint only. This would be sacrificial before your paint. Also, having Opti Coat cover touch up paint seems like a good idea.

Opti Coat also seems to be good post- touch up. You don`t have to get a prefect finish, it just locks whatever your paint looks like. I have had fishermen Opti Coat their truck, and they don`t care about paint finish. So my only work was wash clay and light polish just for better bonding.

20 bucks for a second clear coat? No brainer for a beater.

That is one bottle of spray wax.

RVM
03-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Hmmm I obviously need to learn more about this stuff. Lemme go do some reading...

RVM
03-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Ok read up on it, sounds like it might do the trick. It also seems like something I would be better off having applied professionally. Is this something I would go to a body shop for?

DaGonz
03-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Meguiar`s #21 Synthetic Sealant.is avaiable OTC.

bunkeroo26
03-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Okay, it`s really around 40 per vehicle.

I have started applying it thicker,

Although it`s not available otc