PDA

View Full Version : Winter wash dilemma, need suggestions,

Pages : [1] 2

Meticulous
02-09-2014, 09:54 AM
So we have been getting hammered with low temps and snow in the NE. Today is 29 and sunny, the dilemma is as follows:

`

13 Charger RT Black top and 13 Durango RT Black top daily drivers both parked outside, both filthy with snow and salt from NYC streets. Currently wearing DG501/601 and topped with D156 after every wash. Only have access to hand car washes and swirl-o-matics, no coin operated self serve and no drains in garage to wash it myself. Hand wash does not use power washer to remove bulk of salt and dirt, swirl-o-matic does use power washer.

`

Last wash took both of them to hand wash and they scratched the painted wheels with too much pressure and dirty towels. So what do I do? Leave them till I can wash them, swirl-o-matic with power washer, hand wash with no power washer? Any suggestions?

fdresq4
02-09-2014, 10:05 AM
I take my vehicles to a self serve bay along with an Optimum Rinseless Wash. Presoak with solution then power rinse with water only. I don`t use the products offered by the self serve bay.

Finally, when I get home, I follow up with a Rinseless Wash using the "Two-Bucket" method.

This works fine for me wthout inducind swirls. Search the site and you will find lots of great info from the various members on here.

fdresq4
02-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Forgot to mention but with the ORW solution, I follow the instructions on the bottle for the dilution rate.

Meticulous
02-09-2014, 10:24 AM
I take my vehicles to a self serve bay along with an Optimum Rinseless Wash. Presoak with solution then power rinse with water only. I don`t use the products offered by the self serve bay.

Finally, when I get home, I follow up with a Rinseless Wash using the "Two-Bucket" method.

This works fine for me wthout inducind swirls. Search the site and you will find lots of great info from the various members on here.

`

We do not have self service bays where I live.

tom p.
02-09-2014, 10:55 AM
I wash outside down to about 22F.` Colder than that and i get severe icing.

`

I make it a point to wash on the driveway where the sun will hit it and can dry off.` Is your driveway in the sun, MD?

`

Plan B:` Rinse the car in the driveway, move to garage and use ONR.` Consider a heater for garage if you don`t already have one.

Meticulous
02-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Driveway is in sun, 1.5 car garage, Shelby Mustang in garage and small heater. If I move the Shelby it will get dirty. Driveway is 2 car wide and I would have to put Shelby in street with snow to move cars around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meticulous
02-09-2014, 07:26 PM
And it`s snowing again............great.

David Fermani
02-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Coat them and ride dirty desperately searching for touchless washes everywhere.`

mikered30
02-10-2014, 09:40 PM
You will be getting a snow, mix, rain slop storm on Thursday, no point on washing it now.

Meticulous
02-11-2014, 07:24 AM
You will be getting a snow, mix, rain slop storm on Thursday, no point on washing it now.

`

Yep! Very bad winter this season.

spotter
02-13-2014, 03:11 PM
If your car is in the sun then 29 degrees should be ok to rinse off with hose to get the worst and then`do an ONR wash.` When I do mine in cold weather outside I use about 3 parts hot water and 1 part cold water so my hands don`t freeze.` I would definitely use a`separate rinse bucket and consider changing it once or maybe even twice during the process.` I also put about a 1/2 ounce of ONR in my rinse bucket but doubt it is necessary.

Jesstzn
02-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Unless I can wash properly by hand in the driveway .. In cold weather all i will do is go to the spray wash and using the wand on rinse mode I remove all I can and leave it at that. I don`t even dry it.

Meticulous
02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Washed it today with a laser touch less. Omg it looks like a white kid with orange and black freckles! It is bad.

I then dried with waffle weave and Meg`s WWWA and then wiped down with DG RWWA almost went through both bottles. Gonna need a ton of decon comes spring.

misterfu02
03-02-2014, 09:26 PM
Washed it today with a laser touch less. Omg it looks like a white kid with orange and black freckles! It is bad.

I then dried with waffle weave and Meg`s WWWA and then wiped down with DG RWWA almost went through both bottles. Gonna need a ton of decon comes spring.

You are destroying your paint by doing this.`

`

Go through the touchless and then use a QUICK DETAILER with the microfiber cloth afterword. Don`t just wipe it down

Meticulous
03-02-2014, 09:31 PM
You are destroying your paint by doing this.

Go through the touchless and then use a QUICK DETAILER with the microfiber cloth afterword. Don`t just wipe it down

Ummm if you read my post again I used Meg`s Waterless Wash N Wax and Duragloss Rinseless Wash with Aquawax when I dried it with WW MF towels. Both these products are better then QD.