PDA

View Full Version : Polishing technics?

Detailing Donovan
02-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Hi I`ve been detailing for quite sometime now, and now I want to go in the direction of paint correction. What steps do pros take to get that glass finish? I`ve herd that after each stage you should wipe the vehicle down with 50/50 of alcohol and water. Is that correct? Are there other steps to take to get superb results?

David Fermani
02-04-2014, 09:15 PM
A test spot is mandatory on not just correction, but also with polishing if you want to squeeze out every last bit of gloss.`

`

You can also use a paint safe degreaser, Dawn dish detergent or medium solvent to strip the surface of oils/fillers to reveal the true finish.`

Nth Degree
02-04-2014, 09:17 PM
There are so many variables to this and no absolutely right or wrong answer. `No answer you can read here will substitute for hands on experience. `Some pads/compound/polish/paint combos can react differently and require a slightly different technique; from speed, pressure, working time, etc. `This is really where detailing crosses over from "science" to "art". `

`

In general, make sure to keep your pad flat (for DA), don`t use too much product, work small sections, slow arm speed, work long enough but not too long, wipe off, inspect, adjust and repeat until desired results are achieved. `It takes a long time but experiment with different techniques without switching pad or compound/polish choice. `While most detailers have a wide variety of options a good detailer can maximize just one combo; one technique will maximize cut while another will improve the finish. `Some polishes are more versatile than others. `

Detailing Donovan
02-05-2014, 01:02 PM
Thanks a lot guys.