PDA

View Full Version : Help on DA Shopping List - Black 07 Mercedes AMG

desiz
01-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Hello Autopia Experts! Firstly, I just want to say that i`ve been reading previous threads and advice for the past week and I have decided to take a stab at fixing the paint on my car. Some background information before I ask about which pads to get.

`

I have hand-washed my 07 CLS63 since 2007. I used to use Zaino products, but have moved to ONR and pinnacle carnuaba wax.

I attended a detailer`s class in 2008 and purchased a porter cable and Prima products and they did nothing! The detailer who demonstrated these products told me the only way was for him to work on my car, so $600 and 1 day later, I found out all he did was use fillers.

Fast forward five years and I have still been babying my car with ONR and Pinnacle wax (sold the porter cable+pads)

`

Currently: Lots of swirl marks, some residue from what might have been rain water ? some hairline scratches from the dealer who washed my car once while in service. I took a few picture of the roof, the hood is worse.
`

My Goals?: Correct as much as possible (90-95%) and get a super deep shiny/glossy look!

`

I know there is no one magic combination, but after attending meguiar`s detailing class last weekend and reading these forums, I picked up a Harbor Freight DA and wasn`t sure which pad/polish route to go. I red pwaug`s list of B&S pads and HD Polish so this is what I have so far:-

`

1.Harbor Freight DA (purchased)

2. Meg`s Ultimate Compound (purchased)
`
3. B&S Pads: 2xyellow, 2xwhite, 1xred ` [should I wait for the orange and green to come back in stock at autoality?]

4. HD Polish

5. Carnuaba Wax (Already have, use with DA and red pad `or apply by hand?)

`

`

I`m wondering if there is a better pad/polish combo that works best on ceramiclear mercedes ?`

`

Thank you in advance! :)

`

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/blue350z/cls63/IMG_0266_zpsd885f4ab.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/blue350z/media/cls63/IMG_0266_zpsd885f4ab.jpg.html)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e50/blue350z/cls63/IMG_0260_zps56f02bec.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/blue350z/media/cls63/IMG_0260_zps56f02bec.jpg.html)

`

Envious Eric
01-28-2014, 04:03 PM
well, why wait?` test out the yellow and white pads and see what happens.` may not need the other pads.` work with what you have

`

IMO, the yellow sucks and orange cuts about the same and leaves a better finish as well.

`

carpro has all the B&S pads and everything else you would need...just order there, or detailing.com, or detailedimage.com

desiz
01-28-2014, 04:11 PM
well, why wait?` test out the yellow and white pads and see what happens.` may not need the other pads.` work with what you have

`

I only have 1&2 on that shopping list, haven`t bought the pads yet

pwaug
01-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Did you pick up a 5" quality backing plate for the HF DA??` The HF DA is a little more powerful than the PC, but you still need 5.5" pads.` If you don`t have all the pads yet,`you might`be better off with B&S MF cutting pads for your first step and perhaps HD Cut or other compound with the amount of marring showing in your`photos--but as mentioned`use what you have first trying the least aggressive pad/product first like the white pads with HD polish (a little less aggressive than 205, but very user friendly and easy to wipe off without leaving stuff behind to mask any remaining marring).```I`ve had different experiences with the B&S yellow pads--I`ve found they cut better than the orange and finish just as well on hard clear.`` I doubt you`ll need the green pads--the white should finish well on your hard clear.` The B&S red pads are great for applying LSPs or you can do it by hand--they also have hand applicators in the same red foam--personal choice.` `Can`t beat Autoality`s prices and shipping charges.

desiz
01-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Did you pick up a 5" quality backing plate for the HF DA??` The HF DA is a little more powerful than the PC, but you still need 5.5" pads.` If you don`t have all the pads yet,`you might`be better off with B&S MF cutting pads for your first step and perhaps HD Cut or other compound with the amount of marring showing in your`photos--but as mentioned`use what you have first trying the least aggressive pad/product first like the white pads with HD polish (a little less aggressive than 205, but very user friendly and easy to wipe off without leaving stuff behind to mask any remaining marring).```I`ve had different experiences with the B&S yellow pads--I`ve found they cut better than the orange and finish just as well on hard clear.`` I doubt you`ll need the green pads--the white should finish well on your hard clear.` The B&S red pads are great for applying LSPs or you can do it by hand--they also have hand applicators in the same red foam--personal choice.` `Can`t beat Autoality`s prices and shipping charges.

`

thanks! I just confirmed I have Ceramiclear Paint (Color code C040), and was reading an article about how there is a 0.2 mil hard coat , after which it gets sticky. Some weird PPG Ceramiclear thing Mercedes did to their high end models.

`

Any experience with menzerna ?`