PDA

View Full Version : sealant, glaze, wax..makes sense right?

dfoxengr
01-25-2014, 07:32 PM
If youre going to use a glaze and you still want durability, this order makes sense right? I just dont see the point in putting a glaze under a sealant due to bonding,and i feel like glaze then wax only would affect wax durability too.

dfoxengr
01-25-2014, 07:33 PM
I bring this up because ive been seeing more people subscribe to the minimal polishing ideology, or those with dd`s who just cant be chasing swirls all the time.

bunkeroo26
01-25-2014, 07:54 PM
I do believe that the order depends on the product lines that you are using,

and how different product lines interact with each other.

`

Lets take for example, Optimums product line.

`

First, there is GPS, which is a Polish, Glaze and Seal in one.`

`

Second, if you are using all Optimum products, then you can actually Wax and then Seal afterwards,

because the Wax then moves outside of the seal.` This works together, as it is the same product line,

and that is how it is intended to work.` The reason that people wax first, it is easier to apply this way,

than doing the seal first then the wax.`

`

I can not make claims as to other products and how they work together, I just know that I have found

a combination that works well for me.

Accumulator
01-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Dellinger- Noting that there are all sorts of "glazes" and "waxes" out there these days....generally I wouldn`t expect a glaze to bond very well to a sealant, and I`d kinda question the point in using the glaze in this case anyhow.

`

Ah, OK...trying to hide marring, huh?` [INSERT my usual "don`t mar it in the first place, daily driver, showcar, no diff IMO...]` In that case I`d either try Meguiar`s Ultimate Quik Wax (supposedly hides marring pretty well), or just use some different LSP in the first place.

`

My `93 Audi has (originalowner-induced)`marring that I can`t safely remove, so I just use 1Z WaxPolishSoft (a mild polish/filler/wax type of AIO that fills quite well) and then I top with plenty of Collinite for the LSP.` Works fine with regard ot hiding the flaws and holds up better than most of the sealants I`ve tried (no comparison to, FK1000P, but hey...).` In the absence of the 1Z WPS I`d just use some other glaze and I`m 100% confident it`d work fine as I did that all through the `70s and `80s.

`

Oh, and if you want to use a "regular" glaze, I wouldn`t worry about it compromising the LSP`s durability.` NEVER happened IME and I used that approach for a long, long time with numerous glazes and waxes.` I`ve had all kinds of "filling" products dissipate under my waxes, to the point where the marring "came back", while the LSP on top stayed *perfectly* OK.` I know you hear a lot about that durability issue, but *IME* it`s merely an urban legend that people toss around as if it were a documented fact.` Heh heh, you`d think I would`ve noticed it happening at least once if it were a valid concern, but OK...I suppose there are some combos that won`t work just as there are (plenty of) combos that do work.

pwaug
01-26-2014, 11:34 AM
<span>dfoxengr--`` HD Speed and Poxy seem to have some filling capability IME`` So you could use Speed for a light polishing then top with POXY.

dfoxengr
01-26-2014, 12:18 PM
The combo i was thinking of was power lock, glossworks glaze, 845

WillWashesCars
01-26-2014, 03:31 PM
Honestly, I wouldn`t throw anything on top of Powerlock. I see no added benefit of doing so. Just less money in your wallet in the end.

Accumulator
01-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I wouldn`t bother topping much of anything with much of anything.` I`d just pick the right (as in, "overall right") LSP and use that all by itself.

dfoxengr
01-27-2014, 10:43 PM
For me that is power lock. But i wanted to glaze this car as well and i dont think power lock will go over a glaze which is the thought process that brought me to this idea.

I get 6 to 8 months from power lock and i know a glaze wont last that long even if the PL does play nice over it. So thats where the 845 comes in. Gives me the durability i need from PL plus the ability to reglaze when i want to.

Dellinger
01-29-2014, 01:51 AM
Dellinger- Noting that there are all sorts of "glazes" and "waxes" out there these days....generally I wouldn`t expect a glaze to bond very well to a sealant, and I`d kinda question the point in using the glaze in this case anyhow.

`

`

`

Accumulator... I know I`ve been posting quite a bit here lately... but, I was a little `thrown off` when I first started reading through the comments and came to yours, lol!

`

I was like..."Whoa... how did he know I was going to `read` this thread". `Then I realized, you mixed me up with the OP.

`

:lol:

Accumulator
01-29-2014, 11:00 AM
Dellinger- OOOPS....guess I need to do some more careful reading and some less spontaneous posting!``Looks like`dfoxengr got the message anyhow... and yeah, OK, I can see why the toppe might be justified in this case after all.` At least we discussed it enough that there was some good thinking going on and it`s not just another "combine a bunch of stuff" idea.

Dellinger
01-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Dellinger- OOOPS....guess I need to do some more careful reading and some less spontaneous posting!``Looks like`dfoxengr got the message anyhow... and yeah, OK, I can see why the toppe might be justified in this case after all.` At least we discussed it enough that there was some good thinking going on and it`s not just another "combine a bunch of stuff" idea.

`

`

Lol, no problem bud... agreed, good info shared!