PDA

View Full Version : Window Tinting

raikko77
04-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Hey Guys, I`m finally back, now that winter is over!

I have decided to get my windows re-tinted and have been looking around for a good tint job. Some guy got a lil` pissy when I told him that I already have some tinting done to the back window, he said that if there are no bubbles in the tint, that he can tint right over it... it kinda sounds like smoking beside a gas station, something bad will happen.

I just wanted to know, what is a good reasonable price for 2 door Cavalier Z24 and are there any little things I should know when tint shopping?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

JaredPointer
04-13-2006, 07:44 AM
I`m just taking a wild stab here, but why wouldn`t you remove the tint from the rear window first, then apply new, darker tint over that? Just curious.

Shaun Carollo
04-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I`m just taking a wild stab here, but why wouldn`t you remove the tint from the rear window first, then apply new, darker tint over that? Just curious.

I`d choose somebody else.

raikko77
04-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Obviously I`m not gonna go to that guy...I just want to know any helpful tips on looking for a good tinter. How much would it cost to get the tint removed and then re-tinted, a ballpark figure.

JaredPointer
04-13-2006, 09:47 AM
One piece of advice I can give you from experience is to ask to look at the guy`s "squeegie" before they use it on the tint. I had a shop tint my front windows and the blade left scratches all in the film. They had to replace it the next day, and I made sure they used a good looking squeegie blade. No scratches the second time around.

joyriide1113
04-13-2006, 10:05 AM

Because the rear window is a pain to remove. It has those heat strips on the window and you have to be supper careful on a really hot day in order to melt the glue soft enough to peel off without remoing those darn strips..

Make sure He uses a cleans plastic squeegee. Watch his blade. I had some kid swing it around while beinding down to pick up some more tint and scratched the car. Inspect and look out for the rubber seems alongside the outer windows. Unless the Tint is computer cut, Tinters place the tint over the outside of the window in order to cut it the exact shape. If not careful, they can and have cut the rubber seems.

Make sure the tint offers a lifetime warranty against peeling and discoloring. If the tint is indeed legal in the state you are in, look for a shop that offers a certified sticker stating the tint is legal. This sticker goes in the drivers door jam.

Sounds like a lot but coming from someone who has gotten their vehicles tinted millions of times, Take it as gospel.. I wish someone told me.

raikko77
04-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Because the rear window is a pain to remove. It has those heat strips on the window and you have to be supper careful on a really hot day in order to melt the glue soft enough to peel off without remoing those darn strips..

Make sure He uses a cleans plastic squeegee. Watch his blade. I had some kid swing it around while beinding down to pick up some more tint and scratched the car. Inspect and look out for the rubber seems alongside the outer windows. Unless the Tint is computer cut, Tinters place the tint over the outside of the window in order to cut it the exact shape. If not careful, they can and have cut the rubber seems.

Make sure the tint offers a lifetime warranty against peeling and discoloring. If the tint is indeed legal in the state you are in, look for a shop that offers a certified sticker stating the tint is legal. This sticker goes in the drivers door jam.

Sounds like a lot but coming from someone who has gotten their vehicles tinted millions of times, Take it as gospel.. I wish someone told me.

I`ll use this as a bible `til the end of my car driving days!

Thanks joyriide1113

RTexasF
04-14-2006, 01:54 PM
I would say to look for a shop that specializes in tint only with some time in residence. 3M tint has a lifetime warranty anywhere in the US when applied by a 3M dealer.

2005Accord
04-14-2006, 02:02 PM
The lifetime warranty is a definite must. Ive had to take a car back 10 times or so cause of poor workmanship. I`ll never use the guys again.

What i`ve done is find someone with tinted windows that look good and ask where they got it done. I did this about 100 times recently and one shop kept coming up so I know where I`ll be going next.

pogo123
04-14-2006, 08:09 PM
There`s some good tint info on this forum.

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php