PDA

View Full Version : My first products arrived today.

Pages : [1] 2

Suzanna
04-11-2006, 09:16 PM
I am following one of the suggestions in the "Introduction" thread to try PwC as my first product after washing my new car.

Besides the PwC, I got Natural Look and Trim Restorer.

I want to protect the dash but want it to look like the original finish, not shiney so I got NL.
And TR is for the exterior doors and roof black vinyl trim.
Did I get the right stuff?
Any special application methods or just rub it on?

Now the PwC.
I wash and dry the car first (I`m not up to claying yet, see "Introduction" thread.)
Then apply the PwC, haze, rub off (no machine, again see "Introduction" thread.)
Right?

Do I have to be careful about the black trim?
I read that some products will stain trim, don`t want to hurt mine.

Will PwC protect my car finish?
How long will it last?
Will the polish/wax come off with the next wash?

Thanks,
Suzanna

GregCavi
04-11-2006, 09:18 PM
hey there! welcome!

PwC should do very minimal to your trim. I dont recall if it stains or not, but if it gets on you trim, just wipe it off, no big deal. The NL, you will love as it gives just a touch of gloss, not a greasy pool of reflection. THe PwC is a wipe on, haze, wipe off product and shoudl last maybe 3-4 weeks. You will want to top it for better protection.

Greg

budman3
04-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Greg got the major points. The white PwC will do a little staining if left on the black trim. An easy way to avoid this is to apply the Trim Restorer on the trim before you use the PwC. The natural look is awesome, and smells great too. Little by little you`ll become addicted and ready to step up your process. Good luck

Suzanna
04-11-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi Greg,

Does the PwC come off with washing?
Does it have to be removed prior to the next application?

Top it with what (keep it simple, I am apprehensive, back to "Introduction")?

Thanks.
Suzanna

GregCavi
04-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi Greg,

Does the PwC come off with washing?
Does it have to be removed prior to the next application?

Top it with what (keep it simple, I am apprehensive, back to "Introduction")?

Thanks.
Suzanna

PwC like any other wax or product diminishes over time, through washing, rain, environmental factors, and time. If you want another application of Pwc you can just apply again. YOu would want to top with any wax over pwC over any sealant. The possibilities are endless.

Greg

Suzanna
04-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Sealant?
Polish over sealant?
I thought polish was a sealant.

Name a sealant.

Suzanna

audiboy
04-11-2006, 10:03 PM
To keep it in the PB`s line-up, a sealant would be EX or EX-P. Because you are just beginning, I would keep it as basic as I could until you become more comfortable with the whole detailing process. For example, you would want to wash your care really well and apply 1-2 coats of PwC. That will give you a pretty nice base to build off of. After you apply that, you would probably want to put a couple coats of a carnauba based wax on top of the polished surface. This will not only enhance shine, but it will increase durability. That way, you would only have to wax every 3-4 weeks and polish every 3 months. By waxing every 3-4 weeks, you would be adding protection to the polished surface which will allow it to last longer.

As for your other products, Natural Look can be applied by a soft cloth. I find it better to put the product on the cloth and spread it around on the cloth a bit before applying it to the dash. This way, I don`t have areas that have more product than the other.

Trim Restorer is a great product that I`m sure you`ll love. Very little is needed to achieve proper use. Again, just apply it to a soft cloth and apply to trim. I go over it again after a minute or two to make sure the finish is even. You will want to hold off on doing windows until after this product has been used.

I hope this has helped. Feel free to ask any more questions you might have. We are more than happy to help here at DC!

cwcad
04-11-2006, 10:06 PM
A polish is a product that will either chemically clean the paint or mechanically clean the paint. Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner. So is Poorboy`s Pro Polish. The SSR line of polishes from Poorboy`s are mechanical polishes.

To name a sealant I will mention Poorboy`s EX or EX-P. Menzerna has a sealant called FMJ. This also could be called an LSP( last step product).
Unless you decide to use a wax as a topper for a sealant. Then the wax topper becomes a LSP. One seldom tops a wax with a sealant. Yet a lot of people top a sealant with a wax. It is not complicated, really. Yet....I know it sounds like it. Just keep asking questions whenever you need to. Someone will be on the City to help you out.

Now relax...take a deep breath....and try to have fun. The results will allay your fears.

Suzanna
04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Should I use EX instead of the PwC?
The car was made in December, I got it a couple of weeks ago.

I`ve been told to "get some wax on it."
I thought it came protected already.
What do I know?

I do want to protect the new finish and keep it looking new a long time.
But don`t have time to detail too often.
Besides not knowing how.

Suzanna

cwcad
04-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Start with PwC to get some protection and cleaning done all at the same time. After you have that applied you can consider using a sealant such as EX or EX-P.

CharlesW
04-11-2006, 10:58 PM
You have enough products to keep your car in better then average condition for a while.

The PwC will both polish and wax your paint and the finish will be protected without topping it with anything. It will probably last several weeks.
If your car is garaged, it may last 2 or 3 months. That should give you some time to decide just what steps you do want to follow with your car care.

When I apply Natural Look, I spray it on a small terry towel and then wipe the surface I`m treating thoroughly. Natural Look also cleans to some extent so I don`t just wipe it on. I also follow up with another small terry towel and wipe the excess off. The second wipe seems to leave more of a matte finish which I much prefer.

The Trim Restorer is a product I have no experience with, but I`m sure someone will have some recommendations for its use. (If all else fails, just follow the instructions.:))

Charles

glen22
04-12-2006, 07:31 AM
I think Suzan should of been recomended to use a sealant since she is looking for longest term protection. I also ""still"" can not understand why you would use PWC if you are going to use a sealant on top.As you are not to put a sealant over a wax. I only see this product as a easy way out of doing two steps and then limiting you to only being able to lsp with a wax. Am I missing something here with PWC? I really dont see a use for this product myself.

lonewolf0420
04-12-2006, 08:26 AM
PwC is a fantastic product. It will work out slight inperfections if you have patients and it leaves my wifes red metallic jeep GLOWING! The finish is perfect for when I apply EX then top with Natty`s blue. For weekly QD`s I use PB`s QW+ to maintain the Natty`s until the next month when I apply another coat of Natty`s. I myself am new to sealents and I found PB`s EX to be a great product. Now I can go longer inbetween polishings.

CharlesW
04-12-2006, 09:37 AM
I think Suzan should of been recomended to use a sealant since she is looking for longest term protection. I also ""still"" can not understand why you would use PWC if you are going to use a sealant on top.As you are not to put a sealant over a wax. I only see this product as a easy way out of doing two steps and then limiting you to only being able to lsp with a wax. Am I missing something here with PWC? I really dont see a use for this product myself.1. PwC works great as an easyway out of doing two steps. Not everyone has time or the interest in doing multiple steps of paint care.
2. PwC doesn`t limit you to using only a wax as your LSP. Several people use it as a cleaner/prep before a sealant. I don`t, but it seems to work for them.
3. One of the biggest reasons for her to use it now is the fact that she already has it.:) That and the fact that it is a good one step product.
3. An "all in one" is not necessarily a bad product. I kept my company cars looking very good using only Meguiar`s one step products for years. Maybe not as good as some of the pictures posted, but still better than most of the ones on the street.
4. If Suzanna gets caught up in the detailing thing, she can always add more products. If she decides it isn`t for her, she hasn`t invested a lot of money to find out. The one step every few months might be all she wants/needs.

Charles

glen22
04-12-2006, 09:53 AM
I know it is a good a product and a good one for Suzan but I just dont get how a wax on the paint surface first and then putting a sealant over the top is suppose to bond.
" I though that was a no-no!"thats my only issue here I dont see this product to be used before a sealant only another wax.unless I am wrong which could be the fact...lol