PDA

View Full Version : Product sales business, advice needed...

dfoxengr
01-06-2014, 01:43 PM
At the suggestion of David F, and the hopes that I can become a forum sponsor shortly, I wanted to seek advice on the business that I am starting up.

`

I am going to be selling detailing products in sample sizes. You choose what you want and can try it for a fraction of the cost of buying a full bottle. Prices will be very reasonable and shipping will be flat rate an fast. The eventual goal is to provide samples of any product you could think of.

`

I am going to start with 1 and 2 oz. bottles depending on what I put in them and only something like Opti-Seal would go in a 1 oz bottle since that would still cover about 4-5 cars.

`

I already have about 40 different chemicals and I`ll be adding more as time and interest go on.

`

My main goal in doing this is to help people save money in the long run and really figure out what works best for them, more efficiently. I`ve always hated buying a full bottle of something to later realize it just doesn`t work for my application and then having most of a bottle sitting on the cart uselessly. Then if I don`t like a product, and am less willing to use it, detailing becomes more of a chore than fun.

`

I want to know what you would expect from this kind of business, what kinds of products would you be most likely to compare, and any other thoughts you might have about the idea.

`

Thanks mostly to this forum for giving me the inspiration and motivation to start this up.

bunkeroo26
01-06-2014, 03:33 PM
I would suggest that the biggest thing to look at is bottles.

If you sell opti seal, are you going to make sure that it is in a bottle

that sprays lightly enough for the product?

`

I suggest looking at bottles, because this is where it can get expensive.

Sure, if you buy in bulk ahead of time and find a good budget bottle, it can work.

`

Also, many companies sell in a smaller bottle.` What would make yours better?

Are you going to have sample packs, so that they can try out 3 or 4 different polishes?

This is where I think that you can set yourself apart, allowing people to judge for themselves

based on your recommendations.` If you say that X works best for you but Y and Z are also

good, then the customer will gain confidence in you as a subject matter expert.

`

I would think that bottling and shipping would be the most difficult.

`

Also, this would be a great monthly club for wives to sign their husbands up to.

They know that their husbands love cars, but they don`t know the products well enough.

Here you come to the rescue.

`

Good luck, and I hope that you find it easier than I imagine to start this.

`

`

You need to start building an email list immediately.` If you get a good list, then you

can essentially get paid by companies for sending their samples out.` This may be more

or less profitable than just doing it yourself (not sure).

`

ETA: Good job starting your site.` I would suggest that you check out some of the threads

under business marketing here.` My 2014 Link Juice thread should give you some ideas on

where you should have some sites or profiles.` Just remember that the key is putting your

URL "detailingsamples.com" onto as many sites as possible.` While just a link is okay, it will

be much better with some original information.` For this reason, you should write a little article

on your site about a product or product line and advertise that example" detailingsamples.com/collinite"

`

I did shorten the link, as you want to make sure to put the http and www in there to be safe.

I wish you luck and I think that you are brave at starting your own business.` I have a feeling that

you will enjoy your new boss.`