PDA

View Full Version : CarPro denim orange peel pads, new uses!

Scottwax
01-04-2014, 07:47 PM
I got some CarPro denim orange peel pads about a month ago for a customer`s poorly repainted Integra Type R. Unfortunately, the paint was so hard that even 2000 grit was having a tough time removing orange peel from it and hitting it with a wool pad and M100 to remove the sanding marks (after going over with 3000 grit) was having a tough time removing the sanding marks...and once it did, the metallic black paint looked LSP ready. Just freakishly hard paint, obviously not the best test.`

`

Since I haven`t had any orange peel issues to deal with, I`ve been using the pads to remove severe swirls and bird bomb etchings. Pretty amazing how quickly it can remove them (assuming they didn`t etch past the clear) and how good the paint still looks after using them. I don`t get the hazing I typically get when using wool. So if you have the denim pads, no need to save them for just orange peel.`

David Fermani
01-04-2014, 08:41 PM
These pads are truly amazing. Almost goes against everything you know about leveling orange peel. Did you use a rotary or DA Scott?`

imported_broker99
01-04-2014, 09:49 PM
I have also been wondering what would happen if you filled a scratch with touch up paint and leveled the area with the small pad?

Scottwax
01-05-2014, 12:41 AM
I have also been wondering what would happen if you filled a scratch with touch up paint and leveled the area with the small pad?

`

Going to find out, touched up a few areas on my car the other day. Want to give it a week or so...and I`ll have to reapply Opti-Coat but it should be a good test to see how this might make touching up customers cars turn out better.`

These pads are truly amazing. Almost goes against everything you know about leveling orange peel. Did you use a rotary or DA Scott?`

`

Rupes 21 is what I used. Ripped right through a bird bomb etching in 10 seconds or so.`

WillWashesCars
01-05-2014, 06:08 PM
I was curious as to how strong these pads were on a DA. Plan on getting them in with this years bulk order!

David Fermani
01-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Good question Will.`

`

Scott - how much use did you get out of that pad? The one I used for OP removal was pretty much dead after 1 panel. I think they`re pretty cheap though.`

Scottwax
01-05-2014, 11:48 PM
I spin them out over an ONR damped MF towel, seems to clean them out pretty well. And I believe they are machine washable. But I wouldn`t expect them to be as durable as a microfiber pad either. But like you said, they aren`t very expensive.`

jlb85
01-10-2014, 02:23 PM
I had a few of the early pads (with holes), and they came apart with just a dunk in the kitchen sink. Since then I use opc lightly misted and scrubbed with a brush, then let to dry completely.

Awesome pads, though!!

maxepr1
01-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Bird etching…interesting!

tssdetailing
01-28-2014, 12:05 AM
I tried to level my black 06 fusion paint using Denim pad and Flex 3401....paint just laughed at me, I was quite bummed out considering its kind of a medium softness. I talked to the owner @ CarPro and he says they work best on rotary

speedfreak81
01-31-2014, 11:34 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69065

Here`s a review I did using my Flex 3401

GonzoBernelli
07-31-2014, 07:13 PM
I just purchased a Rupes 21 and have spent some time looking for 6 inch denim pads. `Biggest at CarPro web site is 5 1/4 inch. `Anyone know anything about 6 inchers [not THAT kind, either]?