PDA

View Full Version : Sanding bodyshop clear with 2k grit

solekeeper
12-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Hey guys, after all the hype with HD products, i went and bought hd cut and polish. hoping this will be a good two-step for my shop using the rotary.` (I`m ok with about 90-95 percent correction)

`

I now need pads, can someone suggest some, and which to use with what...` I had little luck in the other thread, so hopefully this will be a bit better.

`

thanks guys!

`

`

solekeeper
01-02-2014, 06:41 PM
anyone? no input?

David Fermani
01-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Congrats on taking the plunge! It really depends on what you`re comfortable with and how your clear is? Especially with 2000 grit and rotary. I would try either the HD Turkish Lambswool pad or the Orange B&S for cutting duties, then either the Blue or Green B&S foam pads for finishing.`

`

What pads do you currently use?`

solekeeper
01-03-2014, 07:40 AM
To be honest, i can`t really say how the clear is, this is the only clear I have experience with. I haven nothing else to base it on.

`

I`ve been using m105, and marroon wool. Then followed by orange LC pad, then white LC finishing pad.

`

`

David,` think i should just go turks wool with the hd cut, then follow it with blue/green with the hd polish?

`

is the cut between blue and green significant?

David Fermani
01-04-2014, 09:35 PM
I think the Turkish wool will cut as good as the Maroon wool pad, but leave a more shallower swirl leaving less clean up needed on the follow up step. I`m pretty confident you can now do you process with 2 steps instead of 3. the key is to find the right pad that cuts well enough without digging too deep. Keeping the pad clean will also dramatically help this too. Just for the sake of trying, give the Maroon pad you have a try to see how it works.

`

As far as the difference between blue & green.....It`s not so much the cutting power of the pad, but the finishing capabilities between them. That will depend on the paint softness. Green surely may remove the marring/swirls from the 1st step, but might not leave the best possible finish or one that you might not be happy with. Black on the other hand should finish great,

`

Using a DA for any of the steps??

`

I think you`re going to like how HD Cut works. :) `

solekeeper
01-05-2014, 03:12 PM
thanks daivd. nope we use a rotary.

`

`

so i`ll stick with the maroon and i`ll use that with hd cut.

`

should i also get the orange and maybe a black pad?

`

`

also what is b&s? link? thanks david!

David Fermani
01-05-2014, 09:05 PM
<sub>B&S = Buff & Shine who is a pad manufacturer. ``</sub>http://www.hdcarcare.com/Buffing-Pads-and-DA-Polisher/ (`http://www.hdcarcare.com/Buffing-Pads-and-DA-Polisher/`)

`

Before spending more money I would see how your existing pads work 1st. Cut with wool and then finish with white. If that doesn`t work then try an alternate route.`

`

If you`re finishing with a white LC pad I`m leading to believe the clear you guys are using isn`t all that stupid soft which is great IMHO.`