PDA

View Full Version : SON1C Synopsis 67 : Autoglym - Vinyl & Rubber Care Review

SON1C
12-10-2013, 01:00 PM
http://youtu.be/E5zMlJ_8v8o
`
`
`
In this video review I demonstrate Autoglyms Vinyl and Rubber Care capabilities and voice my thoughts on the products and its claim -- mainly of being able to clean and protect your rubber in one step!

David Fermani
12-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Very nice work. I really like your reviews.`

Accumulator
12-11-2013, 11:48 AM
SON1C- I too enjoyed this, thanks for posting it.

`

I use the AutoGlym V&R Care too`(I think it`s pronounced "Auto Gleam" as in "gleaming shine") but not so much for exterior surfaces.

`

I`d *really* like to hear what you think of their Bumper Care product.` That`s the one that I use for exterior trim (and flat/matte black bits under the hood and on the undercarriage) that are beyond my usual "seal `em up" approach.` It`s the product I would`ve tried on those exterior trim.

bunkeroo26
12-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Restoring Faded Exterior Trim is an important issue in today`s market.

Many consumers expect a "Wipe New" product like they have seen on

the famous infomercial.` A couple of questions.....

`

1) is there a solution to restore the faded trim?

From my research, it seems that polishing the trim and reapplying protectant

is the best option.` Am I missing something?` Should I WipeNew?

`

2) I really do love Aerospace 303 and it is my go-to gasket cleaner and protector

As 303 does little to re-black fades, what type of product should I be looking for?

LawrenceSA
12-12-2013, 01:19 AM
Restoring Faded Exterior Trim is an important issue in today`s market.

Many consumers expect a "Wipe New" product like they have seen on

the famous infomercial.` A couple of questions.....

`

1) is there a solution to restore the faded trim?

From my research, it seems that polishing the trim and reapplying protectant

is the best option.` Am I missing something?` Should I WipeNew?

`

2) I really do love Aerospace 303 and it is my go-to gasket cleaner and protector

As 303 does little to re-black fades, what type of product should I be looking for?

My understanding is that the trim will oxidize, much like paint does, invariably progressively turning a lighter shade as time goes and the (white) oxidation builds up.

`

By scrubbing off the top layer of this oxidation off the trim with something like a Cyclo carpet brush on a DA you will reveal the `original` trim. This can then be treated with a product such as 303 or similar.

Accumulator
12-12-2013, 12:14 PM
bunkeroo26- I`ve removed the oxidation with different things, depends on the trim and the level of degradation.

`

Sometimes KAIO will do it.` When things were pretty bad I`ve had good results (sometimes surprisingly good) with Hi-Temp`s Heavy Cut Leveler (AKA "357")...yep, a "compound" made for paint.` It doesn`t stain the trim white, at least not as long as you wipe it off before it flashes.` I keep a bottle of 357 onhand just for this application.

`

Another product that can work *VERY* well for this is Griot`s Rubber Prep (used this on some nasty trim on the older Crown Vic, think "left outside for ages in FLA", and then topped with the Ultima with wonderful results that have held up great).

`

I usually protect the trim with KSG (especially if I cleaned it with the KAIO) or 845, but these days I lean more towards Ultima`s trim sealant (it`s named "Tire and Tirm Guard Plus" or something like that).` Then I maintain with ValuGard`s Fast Finish between major redos.` No running/etc. in rain, long-lasting results.

`

I hardly *ever* use the dressing approach unless the preceding just won`t work (usually because the trim is too far gone), but when I do I use AutoGlym`s Bumper Care, which I find utterly superior to other exterior trim/rubber products that I`ve tried.

`

If the trim is in really bad shape, restore it with ValuGard`s Exterior Trim Restoration kit, which is currently in it`s second or third version ("ETR II" or "ETR III" on the ValuGard website).` The ETR stuff is *the* industry standard for this kind of thing.

SON1C
12-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Very nice work. I really like your reviews.`

thank you David, that`s a big compliment from you :D`

SON1C
12-13-2013, 09:55 AM
SON1C- I too enjoyed this, thanks for posting it.

`

I use the AutoGlym V&R Care too`(I think it`s pronounced "Auto Gleam" as in "gleaming shine") but not so much for exterior surfaces.

`

I`d *really* like to hear what you think of their Bumper Care product.` That`s the one that I use for exterior trim (and flat/matte black bits under the hood and on the undercarriage) that are beyond my usual "seal `em up" approach.` It`s the product I would`ve tried on those exterior trim.

Thanks for viewing :D

I googled it and their twitter says its glym - glim which was slang for clean but yours surely makes more sense from an outside interpretation, the bottom line is we will never say it right because we do not have a british accent! Well. . at least I dont! lol

I have never used the product but I`ll try and source it I believe I`ve seen AG on amazon and carried basic parts locally at autoparts stores before. Could you elaborate on your use / opinion of Bumper Care? I watched a video of it when I posted this video and it `looked awesome, for `a second I thought it was a relabeled version of V&R but it appeared to be not after some searching.

Accumulator
12-13-2013, 12:30 PM
SON1C- Thanks for schooling me on the pronounciation!` And here I thought *I* was schooling *you* :o

`

The Bumper Care is a thick gel with some "granules" of some kind in it.` Those granules are easily broken down during normal application and they do a little bit of gentle cleaning.` The stuff is a bit slimy (as are most such products`IMO) but it dries rather "dry and clean" nonetheless.` Holds up well though it`ll need redone after aggressive washing.` The more you use it the more it "restores" the surface, so the job often gets easier the more you do it.` On some underhood bits, repeated applications worked so well that I was able to switch those surfaces over to the ValuGard Fast Finish approach.

`

It might be kinda a "V&R on steriods" type of product.

`

And you know how some underhood/undercarriage metal bits get that "fluorescence" type of corrosion...the whitish deposits that show up`(e.g., alternators often get this IME)?` I`ve had good results using the Bumper Care on that sort of thing too, just wipe it off thoroughly as a final step.` No, it`s not as good an approach as Wurth Rost Off, but it is pretty decent.