PDA

View Full Version : Using Pressure Washer In Winter

AquaHawk
12-09-2013, 03:59 PM
I was wondering, can I use a pressure washer in the winter? If I washed the car outside in about 30 Degree weather and then pulled it in a warm garage and blew out all the jams and locks. Would it be okay? Just trying to get some alternate ideas for washes.

David Fermani
12-09-2013, 04:25 PM
Sure, but please note that the water on the ground is going to freeze. And usually no matter how great you do at drying the jambs, they still tend to freeze and make things difficult to open the doors. Water gets inside the weatherstripping.`

`

Also, make sure to blow out all the water out of your pressure washer too as you don`t want it to cause any issues if it freezes.`

AquaHawk
12-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Sure, but please note that the water on the ground is going to freeze. And usually no matter how great you do at drying the jambs, they still tend to freeze and make things difficult to open the doors. Water gets inside the weatherstripping.`

`

Also, make sure to blow out all the water out of your pressure washer too as you don`t want it to cause any issues if it freezes.`

Do you think the two bucket method would be okay then? I have a job Friday and am trying to find the best way to wash a car in freezing weather. (First time we`re getting really bad, cold weather this year.) I was thinking about somehow warming up the bucket of water if that helps any. Thank You for all of your replies David, you and a lot of other detailers have been a big help.

`

-AquaHawk

AquaHawk
12-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Would it be okay to pressure wash it, wipe it down and air compress and not put it in a garage? Worried about freezing.

David Fermani
12-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Depending on how cold it is, ANY amount of water on the ground is going to freeze. Even if it`s boiling hot.That option is up to you.`

`

Here`s an option.....Take the vehicle to the nearest Coin Operated or Touchless Car Wash and do the preliminary clean up there. It will get the heavy soot off the paint which is pretty much the most important part. Then, drive it home and perform either a ONR or Waterless Wash there. Is this possible? If not, you have to decide if you want freezing water all over or not? `

`

Does my above mentioned option sound like a viable one?`

AquaHawk
12-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Depending on how cold it is, ANY amount of water on the ground is going to freeze. Even if it`s boiling hot.That option is up to you.`

`

Here`s an option.....Take the vehicle to the nearest Coin Operated or Touchless Car Wash and do the preliminary clean up there. It will get the heavy soot off the paint which is pretty much the most important part. Then, drive it home and perform either a ONR or Waterless Wash there. Is this possible? If not, you have to decide if you want freezing water all over or not? `

`

Does my above mentioned option sound like a viable one?`

I don`t think we`ll be able to take it to coin op, we`re doing it at a warehouse where he stores his car. He brought the car to me for an estimate and he previously washed the car. He wants a wax and clay so I told him I will need to wash it again. It`s going to be in the 30`s so not too bad.

`

I do have one last question, for an ONR, would I have to spray the car down with water at the end? The reason I ask this is because I never see anyone explain how they get the soap off of the vehicle. Thanks David.

`

WillWashesCars
12-11-2013, 05:32 PM
I vote for using ONR. Don`t bother using the pressure washer unless you want to leave a sheet of ice behind.

`

Very simple to use ONR. It can be daunting at first but you will get the hang of it and love it!

`

Here is a quick demonstration I made to show my clients how to use ONR to wash their cars in the winter.

`

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY_OrU602gE

`

And a quick written guide on the best way to wash your car in the winter (`http://xclusiveautoworks.com/best-way-to-wash-your-car-in-the-winter/`).

`
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote">

`

1. Fill your 5 gallon bucket<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">`(with Grit Guards (`http://xclusiveautoworks.com/blog/why-grit-guards-are-necessary/`)<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">) with roughly 4-5 gallons of water. The washing dilution ratio of ONR is 1 ounce to every 2 gallons so add about 4 ounces of ONR. Then let your wash sponge or mitt soak in the solution for a few minutes.
<p style="font-family:Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">2. Presoak the panel`with your pre-soaking mix. Use any old sprayer if you are up to the job of spraying an entire car or use an`air-assisted spray`which will make the job 100x easier. The solution should be diluted to about 8 ounces per gallon (about 1 once for 16oz bottle). You will be working panel by panel, so just presoak the one panel you are washing.
<p style="font-family:Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">3.`Wash panel in one direction, I prefer to go horizontally in any area I possibly can. Be consistent and do not scrub harshly. Let the sponge and the ONR do the work for you. Always be sure to be well lubricated and clean off the sponge as often as possible to prevent scratches from dirt stuck in your sponge.
<p style="font-family:Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">4. Pat dry`and gently dry the areas with a clean microfiber. I prefer to first use a basic microfiber followed by a light spray or 2 of ONR with a`waffle-weaved microfiber (`http://amzn.to/11XQU52`).
<p style="font-family:Arial, sans-serif;color:rgb(0,0,0);">5. Move onto the next panel`and repeat the process.
</blockquote>

bunkeroo26
12-11-2013, 10:12 PM
You can also get bucket heaters.

I read that someone suggested 1000w bucket heater.

Even though I do not deal with freezing winters, I can see

the benefit to cleaning with warm water.` This can also

help you get results that are closer to a hot water extractor,

without the expensive cost.

`

I personally love ONR.` I think that you will be satisfied with

its results.` Good luck on your obssession with paint =)

AquaHawk
12-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate every single reply.