PDA

View Full Version : Coating HRE Satin Finished Wheel

Pages : [1] 2

72offsuit
12-07-2013, 10:36 AM
<span style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">Have used Opti-Coat and 22PLE on gloss finished wheels in the past. This set will be 3 piece with the outer lip being polished with clear coat (either coating will work). The inner barrel and center will both be satin finish. Will Opti-Coat or 22PLE change the finish by making it "shinny/glossy" in which case should I use a matte paint coating like Nanolex Matte Sealant. Easier if can use one coating on whole wheel but willing to go the extra yard for perfection. Thanks for the help.

Accumulator
12-07-2013, 12:47 PM
While I`ve had HRE wheels and I OptiCoat wheels, I`ve never done that exact combo.` But I have coated satin-finish wheels and the coating just gave them a light sheen that I found appealing.` For truly flat or matte wheels I might think twice, but for satin I think it`ll look good.` Just my take on this though....

72offsuit
12-09-2013, 11:18 AM
While I`ve had HRE wheels and I OptiCoat wheels, I`ve never done that exact combo. But I have coated satin-finish wheels and the coating just gave them a light sheen that I found appealing. For truly flat or matte wheels I might think twice, but for satin I think it`ll look good. Just my take on this though....

Another highly respected detailer agrees with your findings. Good to go with either, matte product not needed. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Accumulator
12-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Hope it turns out to your liking.` If you get a chance, post back about how it works out.

72offsuit
12-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Hope it turns out to your liking.` If you get a chance, post back about how it works out.

I will, wheels due sometime in January give me something to do till spring. I hate winter need to get out of the Northeast. Mounting them on this:

`

http://i.minus.com/jSF7qH3tjNE5N.jpg (`http://minus.com/i/SF7qH3tjNE5N`)

David Fermani
12-09-2013, 06:09 PM
I seriously don`t think you`ll have an issue with OC. Not sure about 22ple?

`

I`ve heard about people using OC on matte paint finishes without any problem.`

72offsuit
12-09-2013, 07:21 PM
I seriously don`t think you`ll have an issue with OC. Not sure about 22ple?

I`ve heard about people using OC on matte paint finishes without any problem.

Think I would be ok with any of the "majors" difference in sheen is probably subtle and a personal choice. Majority I have checked with feel that OC is a safest bet with the least impact/change to original look/finish. Thanks David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Accumulator
12-10-2013, 01:08 PM
72offsuit- Heh heh, the black grille bits on your Bimmer would drive me nuts!` I think I`d use a WOWA sealant on them and maintain with ValuGard`s Fast Finish.

WillWashesCars
12-10-2013, 04:03 PM
Opti-Coat shouldn`t be an issue, might cause the slightest increase in sheen but minimal. Other ceramic and glass coatings will add gloss for sure.

72offsuit
12-10-2013, 05:32 PM
72offsuit- Heh heh, the black grille bits on your Bimmer would drive me nuts!` I think I`d use a WOWA sealant on them and maintain with ValuGard`s Fast Finish.

Has them on the rear as well

`

http://i.minus.com/jGL3O5is5TmuA.jpg (`http://minus.com/i/GL3O5is5TmuA`)

`

just to ensure job for life for the OCD inclined. Coated them with CQuartz DLux and maintain with foam swabs and a blind eye to the time spent. I know you will understand.`

72offsuit
12-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Opti-Coat shouldn`t be an issue, might cause the slightest increase in sheen but minimal. Other ceramic and glass coatings will add gloss for sure.

Hard to argue with our panel of experts, OC it shall be. Thanks.`

David Fermani
12-10-2013, 05:39 PM
You won`t regret it!`

Accumulator
12-11-2013, 11:39 AM
72offsuit- Heh heh, yeah, I *do* understand.` That`s the kind of treatment I give such surfaces on my "good" vehicles.

`

Keep the Fast Finish in mind should you want to use something quick/easy to give them a little something on top of the coating.` I simply love that stuff on black trim.

dfoxengr
12-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Hate to go a little off topic but have you ever had your fast finish separate? Mine has but a shake returns it for a few days to normal. Its about 8 months old.

Accumulator
12-14-2013, 11:56 AM
dfoxengr- Mine`s never separated enough to worry me, but I go through it faster than my other QDs.`

`

Note that some of my QDs *do* really separate after they get old (over a year); my Griot`s SpeedShine can be bad that way...you`d swear it was toast...but it still works fine after a good shaking, at least for my use as a post-wash drying aid.` The only QD I`ve had really go bad is M34, and when that ones dead you know it (orange, thin and transparent instead of pink, thick(er), and opaque).