PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a new vehicle?

Pages : [1] 2 3

king nothing
12-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Picking up my brand new 2013 f150 tomorrow and I want to get started on the right path. What would you guys suggest on a brand new ride? Just wax it? Something more?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

David Fermani
12-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Opti-Coat is your absolute best possible protection you can give your vehicle.`

AndyWax
12-02-2013, 08:06 PM
It really depends on you.

`

Do you want to apply a coat of wax/sealant on regular basis (2 to 4)? There are plenty of people that enjoy doing this plus a clay treatment every month. I have clients that really like the just "waxed" look.

`

If not, David`s suggestion would be a great option.

king nothing
12-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Will the opti-coat leave a waxed look permanently? Is it like simoniz? I sprung for that on my last truck and it was worthless

jonathan315
12-03-2013, 12:43 AM
<span style="color:#262626;"><span style="font-size:12pt;">I agree with David’s suggestions. But I can share some my added important opinion for your new car, <span style="font-size:12pt;">the best thing you can do for your vehicle is getting regular scheduled maintenance and your local Ford is the best place to go for it. Not only do they have the right grade of Motorcraft oil for your needs, but they can keep an eye on everything else that helps keep your vehicle running smoothly, including your tires, brakes, battery, steering system and more. :)<span style="font-size:12pt;">

king nothing
12-03-2013, 07:27 AM
<span style=`color: #262626`><span style=`font-size: 12px;`>I agree with David’s suggestions. But I can share some my added important opinion for your new car, <span style=`font-size: 12px;`>the best thing you can do for your vehicle is getting regular scheduled maintenance and your local Ford is the best place to go for it. Not only do they have the right grade of Motorcraft oil for your needs, but they can keep an eye on everything else that helps keep your vehicle running smoothly, including your tires, brakes, battery, steering system and more. :)<span style=`font-size: 12px;`> You must work for Ford lol. I do all my own maintenance

Junebug
12-03-2013, 07:49 AM
I would suggest, wash, clay (or clay substitute), wax, and by wax - I mean sealant or wax, there are many choices!

pwaug
12-03-2013, 07:49 AM
As David mentioned OptiCoat 2.0 is the best protection you could give the new truck.`` It is nothing like the Simonize system you mentioned which is just a "dealer add on" to make more profit.

`

OptiCoat is a permanent coating, almost like another layer of clearcoat and if properly washed and maintained will look like a fresh coat of wax/sealant for many years.`` Here`s a link to a description`` http://www.theultimatecarcare.com/optimum-opti-coat-2-0/ (`http://www.theultimatecarcare.com/optimum-opti-coat-2-0/`)``` As an alternative you can apply a good polymer sealant (not wax) that should give you a good 4-6 months of protection.

`

Either way there are some standard steps for a new vehicle:

`

Wash--develop a good wash routine to assure you`re not instilling swirl marks each time you wash and dry.

`

Decontaminate--at least clay to remove surface iron deposits and additionally IronX to remove`imbeded iron particles or the ValuGuard ABC system as an ultimate decontamination.`

`

Polish--if you allowed the dealer to prep the vehicle you can bet there will be swirls in the paint--this involves purchasing a Random Orbital polisher (like the Griots Garage Dual Action Polisher) an assortment of foam pads and a polish with abrasives such as HD Polish http://www.hdcarcare.com/Polishes-Compounds/ (`http://www.hdcarcare.com/Polishes-Compounds/`)` Note: the aggresiveness of the product/pads depends on the actual condition of the paint.` If you`re going to use a coating like OptiCoat it`s important to remove all the swirls/scratches as they will be permanently sealed in by the coating and will show.

`

Protect-- this is the last step--either apply a coating or a durable polymer sealant such as Duragloss 105, FK1000p, Collinite 845 or 476, HD Poxy or any other of the many choices available today.`` http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/Duragloss-c203.htm (`http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/Duragloss-c203.htm`)` Note: don`t be mislead by the name of DG 105--they call it a polish, but it is just a protective sealant---all the DG products are of high quality as are all the HD products in the HD link above.` You can`t go wrong with either.

`

Maintain with a proper washing process and applying spray`booster products from time to time.`

`

Since machine polishing involves a commintment in products and some learning perhaps for now you could just Wash, Clay, apply a good sealant` (DG 105 comes to mind since it`s easy, inexpensive and durable or HD Poxy) and maintain with DG AquaWax or HD Express` while you build your knowledge of machine polishing.`` This will give you good protection through the winter until you`re ready to take the next step in this addiction and jump into machine polishing.

`

Hope this helps!!

king nothing
12-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks guys. I`ve got a PC7424 as well as some polishes (megs 105&205) and hydro-tech pads. I`ve also got an assortment of sealants and wax to use as well as a few claybars. I was more looking for tips specific to a brand new vehicle above and beyond those things. I`ve been out of detailing for a bit but I want to keep this truck looking great

king nothing
12-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Also interested in what to use to protect the cloth interior and carpet

Accumulator
12-03-2013, 01:13 PM
King Nothing- I`d ABC wash it (Ford even sells the stuff, bet the dealer is supposed to use it but doesn`t) then I think you *should* use the OptiCoat.

`

For the interior, I`d just keep it clean (note that I haul dogs daily regardless of weather).` Good mats/"floor liners" and stuff like seatcovers and HatchBag (I often`buy their material in bulk sheets and cut to my needs).

AndyWax
12-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Will the opti-coat leave a waxed look permanently? Is it like simoniz? I sprung for that on my last truck and it was worthless

`

`

IMHO, I think the paint looks just as bright even after a 2+ years.

`

As far as the interior goes.......in addition to what Accumulator suggested, I highly recommend using chemical fabric protection. In the past I have used Aeroospace 303 with great success. HD also makes what looks to be a promising fabric protectant. I have found whatever chemical protection you use keep the car clean and reapply the product once a year (at the very least) if it`s a daily driver.

Nth Degree
12-03-2013, 11:32 PM
A lot of good advice above. `My advice for a new car is: `forget the fact that it is a new car. `Know your goal and don`t skip steps to get there. `Treat it no different than if you were buying it a couple of years used. `Assess what it needs to get it where you want it, perform those steps, then protect and maintain it. `

`

Since you mentioned dogs being in the car daily I highly recommend WeatherTech floor mats and covers for the seats in addition to regular vacuuming. `Children and dogs destroy interiors. `There are few fabric protection products that are going to hold up well to that abuse. `Cover with blankets if you can so you can remove and wash regularly. `

`

For a daily driver Opti-Coat is really a no-brainer and there is no better time than right now to do it.

Accumulator
12-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Drew@Glosswerks (`Drew@Glosswerks`)- So the 303 fabric protection really works?` I gotta admit I always thought such stuff was snakeoil, at least in these post-VOC regs times, I`d love to be wrong about that.` One of my daily dog-haulers has a light gray cloth interior and even I can`t cover *everything* up.

Junebug
12-04-2013, 09:19 AM
This time of year, with the black this and cyber that - plus hunting season, I`d bet you could get some decent Mossy Oak camo covers, the kind that`are machine washable. I think if I had a dog and it rode with me, that`s the route I`d take.