PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Paint Question

anesdawg
11-11-2013, 11:41 PM
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit (Brilliant Black). ` After washing it last weekend, I noticed one cloudy spot in the paint `on the left rear fender just behind the passenger door. It is somewhat shaped like a upside down nike symbol and about 5-7cm long and 1-2cm wide. `It is almost as if it is a`smudge of flat paint just underneath the`clear coat. `It is very hard to see; unless the lighting is`just right (fluorescent light is best) and it is being viewed at`just`the right angle. ` It only has 500 miles and sits mostly in a garage. `
<div style="color:rgb(255,255,255);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">`
<div style="color:rgb(255,255,255);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><span style="color:#000000;">I have not taken it to the dealer, as I am quickly learning they can do more harm than good when it comes to paint. `Any helpful hints on how to approach/ fix this would be much appreciated.
<div style="color:rgb(255,255,255);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">`
<div style="color:rgb(255,255,255);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><span style="color:#000000;">Thx.
`
<div style="color:rgb(255,255,255);font-family:verdana, geneva, lucida, `lucida grande`, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:13px;">`a month old jeep and loving it. After washing it today I noticed one cloudy spot in the paint (brilliant black) on the left rear fender just behind the passenger door. It is somewhat shaped like a upside down nike symbol and about 5-7cm long. It only has 500 miles and sits mostly in a garage. I looked for past threads but did not have much look. I didn`t know if this was something simple that I can fix and if not is it to late to have the dealer take a look at. Any helpful hints on how to fix this would be much appreciated. Thx.
`

tom p.
11-12-2013, 07:20 AM
Anes, welcome aboard!

`

If it truly is under the clearcoat, it`s entirely possible that it`s a paint defect with a spot repair from the factory.

`

Does it bother you enough that having the entire door refinished would be an acceptable solution?` Are you the only one that can see it?

David Fermani
11-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Welcome to Autopia!`

`

Pictures would certainly help.`

`

It sounds like the protective wrap came loose during it`s transit and while flapping against the paint dulled it. This happens all the time and is an easy fix.`

`

Would you like to proceed with guidance with doing it yourself, or what to look out for if the dealer does it?

Jon@APAD
11-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Where are you located? Maybe a professional detailer from this forum is near you and can take a look at it.

frenche
11-16-2013, 03:43 PM
I purchased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit in June and I have this same problem, however, I have numerous spots all over. `They`re about 3-4`` in diameter and look to be under the clear coat as if not enough black wasn`t applied. `Kind of smudgy looking. `As you said, you have to be in the right lighting and angle. `

anesdawg
11-23-2013, 08:24 PM
I ended up taking it to a local detailer. I think he had to wet sand the area. ` After fixing that spot and prepping the car, I had them apply Cquartz on it. It looks perfect. The brilliant black really looks good now. That spot is gone and I am a happy camper.

`

Thanks for yall`s help. `Sorry I`ve been MIA for a while, but I do appreciate it.`