PDA

View Full Version : spam

Pages : [1] 2

House of Wax
11-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Anybody notice a lot of spam posts lately?

tom p.
11-07-2013, 11:47 AM
Yeah, just a few ;)

Nth Degree
11-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Yes. `I reported a few but eventually gave up as it was everywhere. `Not sure why it is suddenly such a problem but it could drive down traffic if not eradicated. `

C. Charles Hahn
11-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Definitely will drive down traffic.... I`m already tired of sorting through new threads only to find that SPAM is the only thing that has been posted. We had this same issue when the forum was on vBulletin, but it seems like IPB is actually even worse.

Accumulator
11-07-2013, 02:48 PM
If the "last post" user-name ends in "jian", or is MaryannJAckerman, don`t bother clicking...

pwaug
11-08-2013, 09:16 AM
I think it`s important to report them as soon as possible--perhaps they will loose interest if they are constantly banned.

`

Wish the admins could also remove their posts to clean up the clutter.

tom p.
11-08-2013, 09:58 AM
`

`

+1.`

`

Have the admins completely lost control of this spammer?

Brad B
11-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Doing what we can. I have banned over 30 spammers before 8:00 am this morning! And deleted FAR more posts than any of you have seen. Will clean up the clutter after the deluge is over. I hate this more than you, trust me. Bugaboos from the new software, I suppose. Not my doing.

But keep reporting them. It helps a lot. Thanks!!

Brad

Brad B
11-08-2013, 11:55 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

C. Charles Hahn
11-08-2013, 01:07 PM
I think it`s important to report them as soon as possible--perhaps they will loose interest if they are constantly banned.

`

`

`

+1.`

`

Have the admins completely lost control of this spammer?

`

One thing to keep in mind is that these aren`t actual physical people making these posts, it`s an automated script that crawls the web looking for forums to exploit, creates new members, and posts spam to them. It`s a software problem that needs to be fixed; trouble is it`s SEMA week and the admin is in Vegas partying, so it`ll probably continue until he`s back at his post next week and able to look into it.

House of Wax
11-09-2013, 10:36 AM
God I hate people that are involved with spamming. Theyre like one notch above child molesters for me lol

Bunky
11-10-2013, 06:30 AM
Lot of spam this morning..almost 2 pages.

POPPAJ
11-10-2013, 07:18 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that these aren`t actual physical people making these posts, it`s an automated script that crawls the web looking for forums to exploit, creates new members, and posts spam to them. It`s a software problem that needs to be fixed; trouble is it`s SEMA week and the admin is in Vegas partying, so it`ll probably continue until he`s back at his post next week and able to look into it.

Party on Garth!

David Fermani
11-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Charlie is correct. Plus the new forum software is light on a few key SPAM plug ins to eliminate this. Figures as soon as we leave for Vegas we get infested with SPAM. I am so sorry that not just our members are exposed to this scum of the internet, but also the moderation staff who`s arms are tied at the moment and have been working very hard at cleaning it up best as possible. It seems that once 1 or 2 kinds of these jerk offs found out they can get away with this, then it spread like the plague.`

`

I really appreciate everyone`s efforts reporting this crap. Keep up the great work. Rest assured knowing that this will be over soon and life on Autopia will be back to normal. I guess we have to go backwards on occasion to move forward for the future. Thanks in advance for hanging in there.`

Nth Degree
11-10-2013, 10:36 PM
What about just suspending all new accounts until fixed? `I`m sure people will understand having to wait a day or two to begin posting as long as they see a message explaining the situation.