PDA

View Full Version : Leather Interior Restoration

Airbatic
11-06-2013, 11:15 PM
<span style="font-size:medium;"><span style="font-family:calibri;">Hi, first time poster, long time lurker here. I appreciate everything I’ve learned from this forum.

<span style="font-size:medium;"><span style="font-family:calibri;">I like rare BMW’s, recently purchased this BMW M3 Cabrio e30 body style. The car is in need of serious cosmetic help, and it will be restored properly. The leather is damaged to the point I am considering exchanging with new, but before I do that, I wanted to ask the forum what they think.

<span style="font-size:medium;"><span style="font-family:calibri;">I would like to keep original, maybe try a proper dye job. I am attaching some pictures, please let me know what you think and I will keep you updated with the progress.

`

<span style="font-size:medium;"><span style="font-family:calibri;">Thanks,

<span style="font-size:medium;"><span style="font-family:calibri;">Airbatic

`

<span style="font-size:medium;"><span style="font-family:calibri;">[attachment=9894:P1030653.JPG]

<span style="font-size:medium;"><span style="font-family:calibri;">[attachment=9895:P1030662.JPG]

`

`

togwt
11-07-2013, 12:29 PM
<span style="color:#0000cd;"><span style="background-color:rgb(255,255,255);">Renovation (if possible) is always preferable to replacement. These surfaces look like they could be renovated<span style="background-color:rgb(255,255,255);color:rgb(34,34,34);">.

`

<span style="background-color:rgb(255,255,255);color:rgb(34,34,34);">`

<span style="background-color:rgb(255,255,255);color:rgb(34,34,34);">“Leather pigment (Dye) restoration”<span style="color:#0070c0;"> - <u><span style="color:#0070c0;"><span style="font-family:`times new roman`, serif;">http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/139915-leather-pigment-dye-upholstery-restoration.html#post1488560 (`http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia-detailing-wiki/139915-leather-pigment-dye-upholstery-restoration.html#post1488560`)</u>

Roger Koh
11-08-2013, 06:03 PM
`

`

`

`

"Cosmetic" per se is just for look, but for leather the usage of suppleness lies in the leather structure, thus the leather structure and chemistry integrity has first to be address prior to the finishes, otherwise new finishes is often short lived.

`

Leather as a whole is an “amphoteric” material comprises of the amphoteric protein fiber and the non-amphoteric leather constituents like the tanning agent and the faliquor.

`

Leather protein fiber is ionic positive (+ve) charge and the leather constituents that makes up the leather chemistry is typicall ionic negative (-ve) charge, all comes together by hydrogen bonding just like magnets - like poles repels and unlike poles attracts.`

`

Leather is known to be pH sensitive, besides heats. pH influence causes the leather to denature or reverting back to rawhide while heat dries up the fatliquor that dries, stiffen and when flex cracks as seen by all the wear and flexed areas. Leather dryness is visual while denaturing need to be realized when contact while the leather is damp. Both of these phenomenons are rectifiable by protonating the protein fiber ionic more positive with low pH products (below pH 3) and the dryness is replenished with fatliquor (fat, oil and water) at pH 5.0.

`

When the leather structure is rejuvenated with suppleness and thus prolong the useful life of the leather from cracking, it is time to repair the skin of the leather smoothen it out prior to refinishing. This preparation work is accomplished after the deteriorated finish is partially removed and all contaminations are removed not only from the leather but also “off” the leather by using a novice “reverse transfer” technique.

`

The refinishing phase would comprises of smoothen the skin of the leather, seals the uneven absorption and promotes adhesion so that the color coating will micro-pile from peeling.

`

Color coating is best to use micro-pigment not to overcoat already existing finishes but gradually build up the worn areas so that they match the micron thickness. Thus consideration will result in a more appealing leather finishes, which prevents it from looking too plasticky.

`

Top Coating is to seal the color coating for practical usability that including withstanding cleaning and abrasive friction wear. Besides it also determine the luster appearance desired, and typically the matte is a preferred choice although it is not as durable the gloss.

`

The final phase is the applications of the non-stick, rub-resistant protection that reduce friction noise and impart a buttery feel for easy sliding in and out of the leather seat without causing premature wear.

`

If you like the theory, we can proceed with the practical aspect of how to accomplish with proven practice.

`

`

Roger Koh

Leather Care Consultant

[email protected] (`[email protected]`)

`