PDA

View Full Version : Optimum No Rinse and bug guts/tar

Pages : [1] 2

wheelman76
11-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Can anyone fill me in on how they work with ONR on their car that`s been hit by bugs and the occasional tar marks on the paint? `I`ve watched numerous videos online and see guys using this for mainly dusty cars at best, but not one that has been hit by bugs. `Any thoughts on using it or is it a no-no and you should hose wash it?

Accumulator
11-03-2013, 12:11 PM
I`m no big ONR/etc. user, but`I`d use the same approaches I use when`dealing with bugs/tar when washing conventionally;`I`d use some 1Z Anti-Inzekt to soften the bugs and/or use a gentle clay for remaining bug remains and tar.` Same challenges with either wash method- how to get the stuff off the vehicle without marring the paint or compromsing the LSP.

shortspark
11-03-2013, 12:12 PM
ONR can be diluted in such a way to be a QD at one ounce per 16oz of water. `It works okay but I don`t use it for bugs and especially for tar. `For bugs I use one of two products - Duragloss Bug Remover or 1Z Einszett Anti-Insekt Bug Remover. `For tar I use P21S Total Auto Wash non-diluted and it does a pretty good job in most cases with minimal scrubbing. `I always put on some liquid wax/sealant after I use the TAW non-diluted as I believe it will reduce the protection of your LSP. `I just think these dedicated products do a better job at these things than an ONR concoction.

`

wheelman76
11-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the replies, I am seeing some value in the ONR in terms of speeding up a regularly scheduled wash. `However this seems like it`ll be relegated to spring and fall when the bugs aren`t such an issue. `I`ve got three vehicles to maintain and when you`re talking full hose washes on all of them, that`s quite the time suck. I`m just trying to get myself more efficient overall.

PurePrecision
11-03-2013, 05:44 PM
ONR is my go-to method. I pretreat bugs and tar ridden areas with OPC, let soak for a few minutes and gently wipe with a microfiber. If you have a pressure washer you could pretreat, then pressure wash, then perform your rinseless wash.

wheelman76
11-03-2013, 06:11 PM
ONR is my go-to method. I pretreat bugs and tar ridden areas with OPC, let soak for a few minutes and gently wipe with a microfiber. If you have a pressure washer you could pretreat, then pressure wash, then perform your rinseless wash.

`

If I were to pressure wash then it would defeat the purpose of the ONR.... Then I might as well hose it all down and do a full wash.

IHA Mark
11-03-2013, 08:27 PM
I pre soak the bumper with APC+ 1:10 and let it dwell while I do the roof/hood/trunk on both sides. By the time I get to the bumper the bugs wipe right off.

PurePrecision
11-03-2013, 09:21 PM
While I understand where you are coming from, ONR helps me to eliminate water spots (I`m in Fl) and complete the wash faster. I generally don`t have to break out my pressure washer, just giving another option.

dcghkfdjkjian
11-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Any thoughts on using it or is it a no-no and you should hose wash it?
http://esmallgame.com/hu11f.jpg

Accumulator
11-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Sounds like a lot of people must`re-LSP pretty often.

`

`

If I were to pressure wash then it would defeat the purpose of the ONR.... Then I might as well hose it all down and do a full wash.

`I dunno, I`d think that pressure washing (to get the "big stuff" off) would be a great precursor to an ONR wash; that`s about the only way I`d want to do it.` I`d think the pressure washing would go so quickly that it`d basically just be like rinsing the car off.` But I understand that it *is* a "big production"-type of wash compared to just ONRing.

pwaug
11-04-2013, 01:43 PM
As shortspark mentioned Duragloss Bug Remover does a great job of removing bugs and doesn`t remove durable LSPs--I just pretreat and by the time I get to the front the bugs come off with a regular ONR wash.

Accumulator
11-04-2013, 01:56 PM
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-time="1383590607" data-cid="1427157" data-author="pwaug">

As shortspark mentioned Duragloss Bug Remover does a great job of removing bugs and doesn`t remove durable LSPs...</blockquote>
Ah, and I bet the DuraGloss is a *LOT* less expensive than the 1Z product I`m using.

Alfisti
11-07-2013, 01:53 AM
I`ve tried several insect removers. Most are solvent or surfactant based. I find they compromise LSP and work less than ideally. The best one that works me is this:

"http://www.3dproducts.com/images/P/BUG_REMOVER-01.jpg"http://www.3dproducts.com/images/P/BUG_REMOVER-01.jpg (`http://www.3dproducts.com/images/P/BUG_REMOVER-01.jpg%22http://www.3dproducts.com/images/P/BUG_REMOVER-01.jpg`)[/img]

It`s cheap and more effective than the others I`ve tried. It`s enzyme based and simply dissolves the bugs and they wipe off easily.

Accumulator
11-07-2013, 02:46 PM
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-time="1383807220" data-cid="1427453" data-author="Alfisti">

I`ve tried several insect removers. Most are solvent or surfactant based. I find they compromise LSP and work less than ideally..</blockquote>
You ever try the 1Z product? It worked OK for me and didn`t compromise the LSPs (M16, FK1000P, 476S).

Scottwax
11-07-2013, 08:41 PM

`

No need to pressure wash, OPC is fully compatible with ONR in that it won`t cause ONR to suds or cause it to lose its slickness. Just save the front end for last if it makes you feel better, spray down with OPC diluted 3:1, let dwell 30-60 seconds, then wash with ONR. You`ll be amazed how quickly the bugs come off.`