PDA

View Full Version : OOC users. Need IPA help.

Fallz
10-23-2013, 02:27 PM
I got some new opti-coat in and have a few questions:

`

1) Im going to polish with OPT Hyper polish then do an IPA wipe down (I guess thats what I`m supposed to do , but never did it) How the hell do I do it. I have not the slightest clue.`

`

2) Can OC be layered for extra shine , protection or just to ensure even coverage ?

`

3) Should I use the whole amount that came in my order or just ever it takes ?

`

Thanks

Mike

SeaJays
10-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Going to assume we are talking about Opti-Coat 2.0.

`

You do not need to do an IPA wipe down if you are using Hyper Polish. Do an Optimum No Rinse wash when you are done polishing and start applying.

`

Opti-Coat can be layered but there really isn`t much benefit to doing it.

`

An average size car will use approx 8-10cc.

SeaJays
10-23-2013, 03:28 PM
If you use any other polish other than Hyper Polish then an IPA wipe down would be needed. Mix up some IPA and distilled water in a spray bottle (I normally mix it about 5:1) and spray and wipe. It`s as easy as that.

`

What type of car are you coating?

David Fermani
10-23-2013, 04:20 PM
OC 2.0 doesn`t offer as thick of a film build as the professional version and can be layered to thicken it up a bit if desired. It won`t really add gloss though.`

`

As Jason mentioned, if you`re final polishing with Optimum polishes, they don`t require stripping for the coating process.`

`

If you are using other final polishes, I would recommend a doing what is needed to strip the oils to allow proper bonding of the coating. You can do this a few different ways. Liberally spray either alcohol or a paint safe all purpose degreaser/cleaner and gently wipe the surface. Then, depending on the polish, I would either do a Dawn wash or a good ONR treatment. ONR leaves the surface semi-slick and allows the applicator to slide across the surface. (less grabby).`

Fallz
11-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Will a IPA wipe down remove old waxes too ?

SeaJays
11-24-2013, 09:36 AM
IPA may remove some less durable waxes but don`t rely on it. Some durable waxes/sealants take a lot to remove.

Best bet is a good dawn/apc mixture wash and then clay bar to remove old wax. I like to use a foam cannon with apc+/dawn mixture and allow it to dwell for about 5 minutes. Agitate with your wash mitt and then rinse. Sometimes multiple washes are needed. But found that if your claying after the wash it will remove just about everything.