PDA

View Full Version : What is a permanent paint coating?

Catch-22
10-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Been hearing people on forums talk about permanent paint coatings. Can someone explain what this is and how it works? Is it basically just a long lasting wax?

togwt
10-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Optimum Polymer Technologies: Optimum Opti-Coat™ crosslink’s and reacts with urethane and other clear coat paints to form an additional barrier between the elements and your vehicle`s paint and is based on a resin pre-polymer that uses a configuration of (Si 14) (SiO2 -silica) bond, which are far more resistant to enzymes than the C-C configuration used in polymer sealants. As a consequent it is more resistant to the acids found in bird and insect excrement, industrial fallout (acid rain, etc) radiation or the alkaline found in road salt. It forms ceramic bonds at very high temperatures and will not be damaged by extreme heat and therefore resists oxidation.

Opti Coat is unlike products like wax, polymer sealants, and etc as it doesn`t require frequent re-application; it becomes the topcoat, just like another layer of clear coat paint.

Opti-Coatâ„¢ has better resistance to chemicals (acid), scratches and release properties and ultra violet (UV) radiation protection than other automotive coating currently in use. This coating has a 2-4 µ (microns) applied thickness and a hardness of 9H (Pencil Hardness) when fully cross-linked (90 days) and provides a semi-permanent coating. Its application is similar to that of a single component Isocyanate that forms a semi-permanent clear coat finish and lasts almost indefinitely.

Scottwax
10-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Officially, Opti-Coat will last 10 years. Unofficially, as long as the paint underneath is good, the coating will remain in place.

Ron Ketcham
10-13-2013, 07:10 PM
I understand and do not question Jon`s very well put explanation, nor what Scott contributed.

However, it`s all a matter of "perception and understanding of chemicals, etc", vs what one "thinks" is permanent.

Look up "permanent" in any dictionary or chemical dictionary is even better.

Even this planet is not "permanent".

togwt
10-14-2013, 04:51 AM
[What is a permanent paint coating?]

As stated above, nothing is permanent, but this is the closest paint protection product thus far, that comes close to that criteria - Its application is similar to that of a single component Isocyanate that forms a semi-permanent clear coat finish and lasts almost indefinitely.

Rob4092xx
11-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Officially, Opti-Coat will last 10 years. Unofficially, as long as the paint underneath is good, the coating will remain in place.

`

I was under the impression that is lasted two years????

dcghkfdjkjian
11-04-2013, 11:01 AM
`Is it basically just a long lasting wax?
http://esmallgame.com/hu11f.jpg

Envious Eric
11-05-2013, 11:54 AM
it protects better, is harder, more scratch resistant, cleans easier, and protects longer, more durable, etc.

`

opti-coat, 22ple, cquzrtz finest, ceripro 9H, are some of the ones on the market right now...cquartz finest being my favorite

Woob
11-05-2013, 12:17 PM
It`s a long lasting PROTECTIVE LAYER that does erode with normal wear or tear such as sunlight or acid damage.

`

Waxes/Sealants are non permanent in nature and are sacrificial.

jonathan315
11-07-2013, 02:44 AM
You can try Opti-Coat, CQuartz, and GTechniq C1. I`ve used Opti-Coat on my car. I can suggest this because it`s the one I like the most.

szgnzmhjian
11-07-2013, 08:50 AM
<span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Is it basically just a long lasting wax?`http://esmallgame.com/hu11f.jpg`

Jon@APAD
11-07-2013, 08:07 PM
<span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:`helvetica neue`, helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">Is it basically just a long lasting wax?`http://esmallgame.com/hu11f.jpg

`

NO! Lots of good information above.