PDA

View Full Version : Losing Faith..Frustrated...

MaxItOut777
04-09-2006, 04:48 PM
It`s a nice day today so I decided to use my WG SR for the first time (only my second time using PC). I`m halfway done with the car when but I`m realizing it`s still the same. Even the smallest swirls are still there. Same thing happened the first time I used the PC, which is what made me quit thinking I was doing something wrong. So now I`m just frustrated that I can`t seem to get PC use down right even though it`s supposed to be error free. Anyway, just wanted to vent for a sec. Going back out to do the second half to see if I have better luck.

GregCavi
04-09-2006, 04:49 PM
Can you post some before and after pics up? With some pics we can see if you might need a different product.

Greg

audiboy
04-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Just take your time and try not to lose your patience. Learning a technique that works for you will take some time.

MaxItOut777
04-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Can you post some before and after pics up? With some pics we can see if you might need a different product.

Greg

That was my intention, but my camera is busted so I can`t take any pics. Hopefully I can at least borrow one and post some after pics later this week.

Brenton
04-09-2006, 05:26 PM
It`s a nice day today so I decided to use my WG SR for the first time (only my second time using PC). I`m halfway done with the car when but I`m realizing it`s still the same. Even the smallest swirls are still there. Same thing happened the first time I used the PC, which is what made me quit thinking I was doing something wrong. So now I`m just frustrated that I can`t seem to get PC use down right even though it`s supposed to be error free. Anyway, just wanted to vent for a sec. Going back out to do the second half to see if I have better luck.

I get really frustrated with swirl removal my friend, and I`m using a rotary. It seems the jobs I get never take just 3-4 hours, including my own blue Jimmy.:boot

CharlesW
04-09-2006, 05:43 PM
It`s a nice day today so I decided to use my WG SR for the first time (only my second time using PC). I`m halfway done with the car when but I`m realizing it`s still the same. Even the smallest swirls are still there. Same thing happened the first time I used the PC, which is what made me quit thinking I was doing something wrong. So now I`m just frustrated that I can`t seem to get PC use down right even though it`s supposed to be error free. Anyway, just wanted to vent for a sec. Going back out to do the second half to see if I have better luck.One thing I always recommend when trying something new/different; Do a section at a time and check each section to be sure it is in the condition you want. If it isn`t, keep working on it until you are satisfied with your results. Saves a lot of frustration.
It does take some time to do any paint correction with a PC. The Black SUV I worked on for a friend last Friday had one door panel that I spent 20 minutes on. It had several scuffs that took a lot of work. The rest of the vehicle probably took less than an hour to polish. You will learn the speed and technique that works for you so don`t give up yet.:)

Charles

Jngrbrdman
04-09-2006, 06:03 PM
It is also very possible that what you are using isn`t strong enough to remove your swirls. Just because a product says `swirl remover` on the bottle doesn`t mean that it will remove every swirl out there. You might want to explore using something a little more agressive if you find that what you are using is ineffective.

RTexasF
04-09-2006, 07:07 PM
What pad are you using? As mentioned the product is important but the wrong pad would also add to your frustration.

BLACKWRX
04-09-2006, 09:15 PM
you need to maybe try using a rubbing compound and setting 5 or 6 and just go over it for a few minutes.........if the swirls are still there a rotory might be need good luck

Mikeyc
04-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Based on my own experience and the many, many posts here on DC I can safely say it`s 100% possible to remove swirls with a PC. This being said I think you need to examine three areas of your process:

1. Pad choice:

What pad are you using? Some polishes are HIGHLY dependent on the pad to provide extra cutting action.

2. Product choice:

I`m not familiar with Wolfgang SR, but as previously suggested it might not be aggressive enough for the job at hand. Just something to think about.

3. Technique:

There`s a lot to think about here. How fast are you moving the machine? What speed are you setting the machine to? How large of an area do you polish at once? How many applications of polish are you doing?

There`s a lot to think about with swirl removal and as already stated pictures of your swirls would be helpful.

cwcad
04-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Everyone has given great advise. Jman, CharlesW., MikeyC as well as the others gave very good advise. The thing that I would like to stress is the fact that you are frustrated. This is not a problem. Actually it is a symptom of the disease that we all share. OCD

The best thing about detailing for me is the fact that I am constantly striviing to get the best possible shine. Comparing my first detail to my last detail was/is a night and day difference.

Just keep trying for the perfect shine. Keep reading posts. Ask questions. Learn from them. Then apply the techniques as you go. Just keep trying until it becomes comfortable and effective.

I want to stress that you are not unusual.....YOU ARE NORMAL!!!!

MaxItOut777
04-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Based on my own experience and the many, many posts here on DC I can safely say it`s 100% possible to remove swirls with a PC. This being said I think you need to examine three areas of your process:

1. Pad choice:

What pad are you using? Some polishes are HIGHLY dependent on the pad to provide extra cutting action.

2. Product choice:

I`m not familiar with Wolfgang SR, but as previously suggested it might not be aggressive enough for the job at hand. Just something to think about.

3. Technique:

There`s a lot to think about here. How fast are you moving the machine? What speed are you setting the machine to? How large of an area do you polish at once? How many applications of polish are you doing?

There`s a lot to think about with swirl removal and as already stated pictures of your swirls would be helpful.

Sorry I haven`t responded to you guys, I havne`t had access to a computer till now. I was using the orange pad that wolfgang includes in their orders. Supposedly that`s the cutting pad, right? I was wondering how strong the WG SR was, but apparently not many people use so I didn`t have much to go off of. As for technique, I basically followed the video that has been shown here. I spread it around in an area basically half a door panel. Started on 3 to spread it even more, then went up to 5 and went over it until the product pretty much disappeared. That should be about right, correct? But don`t worry guys, I`m not giving up. I`ll keep doing it till I get it right.

ShineBoy
04-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Make sure you are working slowly.. 1in per second... Try that and I think you will be successful!