PDA

View Full Version : FK 1000P curing and 425 topping

STSInNYC
10-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Hi all. Will be applying the first 1000P layer for winter on Saturday (have used it successfully for years, 2-3 layers gets us through a Northeast/New England winter). Question is about curing time and applying 425 as a topper. Past discussion here seemed to indicate that we want to let 1000P cure for 48-72 hours before adding another layer. Where I will be on Saturday there will be fairly heavy dew that night. Thinking about topping with 425, either right after the 1000P application or a few hours later, to have a barrier between the dew and the 1000P. But will the 425 arrest the curing, don`t know what the liquid base is in 425, water or other. Would appreciate your advice, regards, Steve

Ron Ketcham
10-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Trust me on this one. Nothing you would put over the 1000P is going to increase the ability of the product to be protective, etc.

It was developed by Floyd Mequiar as a "mold release" product, and found it`s way into the automotive car care industry.

The product is "tough" it has a higher melt point than any thing you may put over it.

In mold release use, for the first "pull" required 5 layers before the first part was pulled and then after that pull, apply two more layers, pull the part. After that, they could pull up to five parts.

Keep in mind that the temperatures for mold release from the tooling mold far exceeded what temperatures the normal vehicle is subjected to.

Just a bit difficult to work with, due to the application and time between, how to remove the indicators, etc.

My advice, since I was the FK Sales Manager for 11 years, don`t try to improve on what works. You want to "renew", clean the surface and apply a couple more coats.

STSInNYC
10-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks Ron, most helpful. I`m not trying to improve upon 1000p, I appreciate its endurance. My question is about cure time. I had read posts that stated that 1000p should be left dry to cure for 48+ hours. So I am asking if I should top with 425 to have a water resistant layer so that curing won`t be interrupted by heavy dew.