PDA

View Full Version : How to clean off headliner

imported_RedlineIRL
10-06-2013, 06:52 PM
I recently replaced the headliner in my car with a new one purchased from the dealer. I guess from the manufacutring process, there is some fiberglass pieces and other little things stuck to the fabric. What can I use to get this stuff off? I am afraid to vacuum it, due the suction weakining the adhesion of the headliner cloth to the backing board. Another thought was using a piece of duct tape and wadding it in a ball and blotting the headliner, but I am concerned it may leave a sticky reside that will attract more dirt later on.

Any suggestions on what I can use to clean it off?

Ron Ketcham
10-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Go to WalMart and buy a clothing lint remover roller.

AquaHawk
10-07-2013, 11:36 AM
+1 to what Ron Ketcham said! Also, you never want to Vacuum your headliner...ever! So it is a good thing you didn`t. You really want to mess with the headliner as little as possible.

Bill D
10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
They may naturally fall down anyway so don`t mess with them. I had to replace two of them because they naturally fell down over time

Concourswanna b
10-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Yeah I don`t vac any part of it unless it really really needs it.

I think I wrecked a headliner trying to clean it in the mid-`90`s but I forget what car it was.

imported_RedlineIRL
10-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Thanks, I never thought of using a lint roller. Good idea. Will it leave any kind of stickyness behind?

They may naturally fall down anyway so don`t mess with them. I had to replace two of them because they naturally fell down over time

That`s what happened with the original one, time and the summer heat and humidity took its toll on it. I never touch headliners on my cars, but this one looks dirty with all of the fibers attached to the cloth. I have to try something because I don`t see them blowing loose with the windows down

carguy86
10-08-2013, 01:48 AM
How do you clean a headliner when it gets dirty, for example, a can of soda exploded in the backseat?

David Fermani
10-09-2013, 09:44 PM
How do you clean a headliner when it gets dirty, for example, a can of soda exploded in the backseat?

A slightly damp towel works great. You`d be amazed how much soiling is embedded into your headliner.

Ron Ketcham
10-09-2013, 09:56 PM
David, on the money!

Just one little addition, use two folded "huck or surgical" towels when wiping a headliner. No lint left behind, just wet the first towel, folded and wipe, then with a dry folded huck or surgical towel, wipe dry.

Like you said, they will be amazed at how much soil is up there.

That said, well that is where a good part of the "cig"smell is in a vehicle, the nicotine floats up there, the particular species of bacteria feed on the nicotine and create that odor.

By the way, most detailer forget that the "under the dash-ash tray area" must be treated as well or they are fighting a losing battle.

David Fermani
10-09-2013, 10:09 PM
And the cabin air filter too!

nushine31223
10-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Folex does wonders on super nasty headliners

dyjdtjjian
10-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Any suggestions on what I can use to clean it off?
http://esmallgame.com/hu11f.jpg