PDA

View Full Version : product for rust prevention on outdoor covered motorcycle?

Pages : [1] 2

dfoxengr
10-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Looking for a spray on product that will slow rust on a bike kept outdoors but under a bike cover. Looking to spray on bolts, frame (powdercoat), suspension, etc.

I thought I knew of one but have been out of detailing for 4 months or so and have a short memory span.

dfoxengr
10-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Corrosionx is the product I was thinking of. FluidFilm is another oil based priducy that seems similar.

MaxWax, by corrsionx is a wax based coating.

Anyone have an idea of what I should use?

salty
10-06-2013, 12:58 AM
both should work. check eastwood.com for others

Accumulator
10-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Check out Amsoil`s Heavy Duty Metal Protection (see if this link works: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/cleaners-and-protectants/heavy-duty-metal-protector/?code=AMHSC-EA ).

It`s what I use on stuff like the mounting hardware of under-vehicle spare tires, works fine despite winter salt/etc.

Ron Ketcham
10-06-2013, 05:32 PM
You do know that ValuGard Rust Inhibitor you have in aerosol. It will do wonders for that sort of use. It will last for years to protect from rusting/corrosion from the elements and such.

The problem with what "defox" is looking for, anything that will actually do what he seeks is a real bear to remove once he chooses to do so.

mikered30
10-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Fluid Film

Ron Ketcham
10-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Short term, mix 30% motor oil to 70% mineral oil and mist on. To remove, spray with mineral spirits, allow to dwell for 10 minutes, respray and agitate. Then wash with a strong soap solution to remove the hydrocarbon film.

dfoxengr
10-06-2013, 10:33 PM
I really need a product I can spray on, ride the bike with, and not have it get messy. I`m not looking to store it, but protect it, while still being used.

Accumulator
10-07-2013, 01:54 PM
You do know that ValuGard Rust Inhibitor you have in aerosol. It will do wonders for that sort of use. It will last for years to protect from rusting/corrosion from the elements and such.

The problem with what "defox" is looking for, anything that will actually do what he seeks is a real bear to remove once he chooses to do so.

Noting that I have/use/recommend the ValuGard Rust Inhibitor, the reason I recommended the Amsoil stuff instead is that a) it`s better at creeping into tight spots that the ValuGard *aerosol version* is for me, b) it`s a "cleaner" product both looks/touch-wise, and c) it`s easy enough to clean off if you decide you want/need to do that (though you can "clean the Amsoil" too, a lot better than with most such products I`ve tried).

The motor oil/mineral spirits sounds like a messier (but much cheaper) version of the Amsoil.

FWIW, my enthusiasm for the Amsoil is based on over a decade`s worth of experience with it for appliations like this, and [INSERT rant about Ohio winters and road chemicals].

Not an :argue by any means, just a "horses for courses" kind of post. Ya know Ketch, you might actually *like* the Amsoil HDMP for some stuff ;)

dfoxengr
10-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Is the amsoil brown tinted? Remember I have to ride the bike with this stuff on.

Accumulator
10-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Is the amsoil brown tinted? Remember I have to ride the bike with this stuff on.

Eh, yeah....it is :( It`s not awful, but now that you`ver reminded me about the "have to ride with it on..." then maybe it`s a never-mind.

Why spray it on the powdercoated frame? I`d just Opticoat (or even just LSP) stuff that isn`t too vulnerable/porous :think:

Hmm...some of the Wurth products are pretty "clean", but I dunno if I`d want to be rubbing them with my clothes.

dfoxengr
10-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I just figure itll get everywhere when im hitting the fasteners, suspension,wheel spokes etc. I wont mean to get it on frame.

wascallyrabbit
10-09-2013, 08:28 AM
crc 3-36 might do.

Accumulator
10-09-2013, 12:51 PM
I just figure itll get everywhere when im hitting the fasteners, suspension,wheel spokes etc. I wont mean to get it on frame.

Well, the Amsoil isn`t all that hard to keep on/off specific places. And it`s easy enough to wipe off any "oops!" with some solvent, especially before it flashes off completely.

dfoxengr
10-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Ok I think ill try Boeshield t9 first and the S100 total cycle corrosion protectant next which claims it was designed for what im looking for.