PDA

View Full Version : Possible To Wash Car Too Much?

JerryInOCMD
10-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Is it possible to wash your car too much? I`m aiming for once a week, but sometimes I do it two times a week. New black car + OCD has neighbors (and possibly wife) thinking I`m nuts.

shortspark
10-02-2013, 11:21 AM
I have washed my cars about once a week for the last 50 years (I started driving in 1963). In all that time I can`t say I`ve done any real harm other than swirls and stuff I introduced to the paint before I knew better. And I think that is the secret to answering your question - know what you are doing (especially on black cars). Use a good shampoo high in cleaning ability but equally high in lubrication, a good wool mitt or something similar, and most important of all a good wash and drying technique. Doing these things and once a week or even more washes should cause you no problem and will provide you with a good exercise. In fact, it will probably degrade your LSP quicker than normal which will force you to wax more often and to us autopians waxing your car is a real treat!

tom p.
10-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Possible To Wash Car Too Much?

Ya know, I kind of wonder about this from a rust perspective, but it`s not likely an issue with a modern car. I wash a lot during the winter months. I find a filthy car, specfically my own, a bit unsettling :nervous2:

Yes, black is a nightmare. For my own sanity and blood pressure`s sake, I`ll never own another black or dk blue that has to serve as my daily driver.

FWIW, Jerry, should you be looking into ONR and possibly the Garry Dean wash strategy? Might be a BIG benefit to have that in your tool bag.

Accumulator
10-02-2013, 12:34 PM
IMO you can`t overdo it in a functional sense as long as you`re doing it right.

I do, however, question whether most people are "doing it right". (Hey, that`s *NOT* directed at you specifically, JerryInOCMD!)

If you`re marring when you wash/dry, then yeah...the more you do it the more damage you instill. If you leave water in places where it can cause corrosion or other issues, then yeah, the more you do it the more likely you are to have damage. If you`re stripping your wax (surprising how certain "good" shamoos can do that IME...) faster than you`r reapplying it, then yeah, that could lead to issues too. Lots of "if"s because lots of things can go wrong.

But as long as you`re doing it correctly, IMO the only thing "wrong" with it is the potential for expending excessive resources on this detailing stuff. Especially time/effort...wouldn`t want having a nice-looking car to cause you to neglect more important things. And eh, everybody`s priorities are different.

David Fermani
10-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Make sure to keep it protected and use a good quality Quick Detailer every time you wash while drying. It will minimize surface marring.

CGdetailing
10-02-2013, 10:25 PM
I weekly rinseless wash my car with ONRWW, followed with CG V7. Keeps it looking fresh every time.

Scottwax
10-03-2013, 11:10 AM
I weekly rinseless wash my car with ONRWW

That`s what I do and that`s all I do. My own car has Opti-Coat on it and there is really nothing beyond washing it with ONRWW that needs to be done.

spotter
10-03-2013, 02:17 PM
OptiCoat and ONRWW at least once a week for the last 2 years....don`t believe I have ever had a car look better than this regimen.

Concourswanna b
10-07-2013, 11:33 AM
JerryInOCMD, if you are in a place near the ocean, it seems even more important to wash the cars regularly (airborne salt). Maybe buy a Metrovac Blaster to dry the car as well (they`re loud, though).

Lexi65
10-07-2013, 09:04 PM
I have washed my cars about once a week for the last 50 years (I started driving in 1963). In all that time I can`t say I`ve done any real harm other than swirls and stuff I introduced to the paint before I knew better. And I think that is the secret to answering your question - know what you are doing (especially on black cars). Use a good shampoo high in cleaning ability but equally high in lubrication, a good wool mitt or something similar, and most important of all a good wash and drying technique. Doing these things and once a week or even more washes should cause you no problem and will provide you with a good exercise. In fact, it will probably degrade your LSP quicker than normal which will force you to wax more often and to us autopians waxing your car is a real treat!

My understanding is that if you are drying an are using MF towels use 600 gsm ..use them damp and

squirt QD on them when drying.

shortspark
10-07-2013, 09:21 PM
My understanding is that if you are drying an are using MF towels use 600 gsm ..use them damp and

squirt QD on them when drying.

You are right. A good microfiber towel is essential to proper drying and slightly damp ones seem to do a better job than a completely dry towel. I have gotten away from using dry towels by applying things such as Griot`s Spray on Wax, AquaWax or 1Z Einszett Spray Wax to the vehicle itself while drying. After my rinse I blow off excess water with a leaf blower, which leaves a little water behind. I then spray one of these drying aids which gives me protection and extra gloss and also helps in drying without leaving streaks or water spots. I think drying aids and good, high quality microfiber towels are a must.