PDA

View Full Version : New Carpet Cleaning Technology

Pages : [1] 2

carguy86
09-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Hey guys or gals,

I`m a student at a local college and am working on a project that I need some professional advice on. I have an idea, that is only an idea right now, and need to know if its worth pursuing. Please give me your honest, expert opinion. Let me be clear that we have nothing to sell- just need some feedback to know if you guys would need a product like this.

Our concept is an advanced carpet and upholstery cleaning system for owner/operators of detailing businesses who are frustrated with the long dry times, constant rework, and the overall ineffectiveness of the traditional hot water extraction method. We have noticed that carpets and upholstery are taking from 6-24 hrs to dry completely, leading to unpleasant odors and immediate re-soiling. Our system will have them dry in roughly 30 minutes leading to better overall quality than hot water extraction. Our concept utilizes a natural, low-moisture, residue free solution and a unique tool to quickly and effectively clean soiled carpets, upholstery and headliners.

How big of a problem do you think this is? How frequently does this problem frustrate you? How do you work around this problem?

Do you think this proposed solution would solve your problem?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Legacy
09-28-2013, 07:10 PM
It would depend on the cost. Are we talking a couple hundred or over a thousand?

carguy86
09-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Good question and thank you. It would be difficult for me to answer since I don`t have a product. For research sake, how much would or wouldn`t you pay for it? How much value would you place on a product that would decrease the drying time and clean as well as hot water extraction?

Legacy
09-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Good question and thank you. It would be difficult for me to answer since I don`t have a product. For research sake, how much would or wouldn`t you pay for it? How much value would you place on a product that would decrease the drying time and clean as well as hot water extraction?

Is this a chemical cleaner or a tool (system)?

carguy86
09-29-2013, 07:00 PM
It is a complete system, with a tool and a solution.

Legacy
09-29-2013, 08:56 PM
It is a complete system, with a tool and a solution.

How portable will it be?

RenuAuto
09-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Hey Tim. Great idea posting on this forum as members here will be able to give you great input from across the country. Let me know if there`s anything else I can do to help or direct your development.

carguy86
09-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Ideally it will be portable, smaller than hot water extractors. Is portability important to you?

carguy86
09-29-2013, 10:08 PM
Thank you sir. I appreciate your support. I`ll be in touch.

C. Charles Hahn
09-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Not really sure how many, but some of us are using vapor steam cleaners and/or steam extraction systems that speed drying time considerably; how will this system differ from that?

If we`re talking about essentially a "dry cleaning" chemical, are there any health risks involved with regard to exposure for both the detailer and for customers during the initial period after the work has been completed?

Sounds like an interesting project, I will be interested to hear more developments.

Richard Grasa
09-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Ideally it will be portable, smaller than hot water extractors. Is portability important to you?

Portability would definitely be important to mobile detailers such as myself.

carguy86
10-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Thank you for your input. It has been very helpful. In general, as I develop this technology, I would like to know what some of your pains are with the current methods, and/or what is important to you in any carpet cleaning system. Do long dry times ever adversely effect your business? Do you have a hard time cleaning fabric upholstery effectively? Are headliners a headache? Etc.

carguy86
10-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Thank you for your reply. As a matter of research, why do you prefer vapor steam cleaners over hot water extractors?

C. Charles Hahn
10-01-2013, 11:04 PM
Thank you for your reply. As a matter of research, why do you prefer vapor steam cleaners over hot water extractors?

My feeling personally is that both types of equipment have their place, depending on the type and severity of soiling present and the type of material being cleaned. For average soiling I find that a vapor steamer is more than capable of handling the job, doesn`t get upholstery as wet (faster drying time), and is much faster to set up and maintain than an extractor. Extractors (or tools with extraction capabilities) are however still necessary in cases where you`re dealing with large spills or ground-in dirt/mud/etc.

brownbob06
10-01-2013, 11:43 PM
To answer one of your questions, to me, headliners are a PITA.

The long dry times from an extractor mainly concern me on the seats more than the carpet itself.