PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Porsche paint...any suggestions?

imported_ChaoticBliss
09-26-2013, 07:16 AM
Hey All,

I was working on a 2010 Cayman yesterday with Arctic silver metallic paint. If wasn`t in too bad shape but was had a lot of swirls and fine scratches on it. Trouble is I couldn`t seem to get more than say 50% of of them out. Is Porsche paint known for being extra hard? I tried FG400 (orange pad), followed by PG2500 (white pad) and that didn`t seem to make much leeway. Then I tried DACP (orange pad) followed by PG2500 (white pad) which worked a little better but still not to my satisfaction. Does anybody who has worked on this paint before have some suggestions? Ironically the larger scuffs generally came out better than the finer swirls.

Thanks

Accumulator
09-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Noting that I haven`t worked on any Porsche since the mid-`90s, but I do know from correcting hard clear ;)

What machine are you using?

Try swapping the orange foam pad for a MF Cutting Disk, which work *MUCH* better IME. OR, I also get better correction using Meg`s burgundy foam cutting pads (but they`re still not in the same class as the MF Cutting Disks, not by a long shot).

imported_ChaoticBliss
09-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Sorry should have mentioned I was using a PC DA. I don`t have any microfiber pads on hand but I will pick some up to try out. Thanks.

Accumulator
09-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Sorry should have mentioned I was using a PC DA..

Ah, that raises another Q- which PC? IF it`s the older 7424/7336 model (as opposed to an XP) you`re gonna be hard-pressed to do significant correction in a timely manner; the machine just isn`t strong enough. The only way I could correct hard clear with mine was to use smaller (3-4") pads. Even though they cover a much smaller area, at least they *do* get the job done, so much quicker overall (and it can also be the diff between doing the correction at all and just wasting time).

If it`s the XP, you should be able to get by with larger pads, at least with the MF ones.

imported_ChaoticBliss
09-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Well crap. Yes I have the old model. Time for an upgrade I suppose? Would you recommend just getting the XP or a different one all together?

Thanks

imported_ww2717
09-30-2013, 02:36 PM
If you don`t want to spend a ton of cash on a new pc style da then I might recommend the harbor frieght da. Which you can get for less than $50 if you have a 25% coupon. You definitely need to change the out the included backing plate though. Its total junk. Get a 5" meguairs w67 plate or the chemical guys 5" da backing plate.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Accumulator
10-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Well crap. Yes I have the old model. Time for an upgrade I suppose? Would you recommend just getting the XP or a different one all together?

I guess it`s good that you have a genuine reason for the upgrade; trust me...this isn`t just a reasonable sounding excuse :grinno: I`m confident that you`ll be happy with the new machine.

The issue I have with the PCXP is that the shaft holding the backing plate is hollow and it`s broken for a few people (including Barry Theal). When that happens it`d be very easy for the spinning jagged steel to do significant damage.

I`d get the Griot`s Garage 6" RO if a Rupes doesn`t fit the budget. Not hating on the Harbor Freight, just recommending stuff that`s worked well for me. I was utterly astounded at the diff between the GG and the PC, never expected it to be so good. In fact, I got the GG as a Christmas present, wouldn`t spend my own money on it because I figured it wouldn`t be anything special...oh boy was I wrong about that.

imported_ChaoticBliss
10-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the all the advice.

David Fermani
10-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Porsche paint is an absolute charm to work with! A good quality compound (M100/HD CUT/D300) should cut away those defects. And a micro fiber cutting pad (Meg`s) works super well too. Just make sure to use proper technique and you should be fine. Even with the lower powered DA.

Accumulator
10-03-2013, 01:33 PM
.. use proper technique and you should be fine. Even with the lower powered DA.

I gotta say I was unable to correct hard clear with >4" pads using my older PCs. Talked it to death with Kevin Brown, confident that it wasn`t some kind of user-error; just couldn`t do it in a remotely timely manner.