PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Sonus Leather

Pages : [1] 2

jw
09-23-2013, 02:05 PM
I just got a new bottle of Sonus leather conditioner and they must`ve changed their formula. It used to smell like Porsche leather after it was applied. Now it does not smell very good. It also used to make the seat not so slippery. Now after applying the seat are slicker than when I started. What`s the best leather conditioner out now?

pwaug
09-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Don`t know about the Sonus, but coated leather (90% of today`s cars have this) shouldn`t be treated with anything with oil, lanolin etc. I just clean mine well 2 or 3 times a year then apply Optimum Protectant Plus (you can use this on the vinyl also) and inbetween applications just mist with distilled water (or wipe with a damp MF) and let it air dry. Optimum Leather Protectant, 17 oz. (a.k.a. Protectant Plus) - Optimum (http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=255&idcategory=92)

jmsc
09-23-2013, 03:05 PM
I always used Lexol on my 2 leather seated cars (`86 994 and `99 911). Never had any issues (although it did not have that leather smell).

Over the last few years, many have liked and rec`d Zaino Leather Conditioner due to its new leather smell. Never used it on leather but did use it on vinyl with no problems.

Bill D
09-23-2013, 06:55 PM
I still have the old sonus as well Leather Master. That is my go to for leather cleaning and conditioning.

tkr128
09-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Just got my Sonus in the other day and I prefer the old formula. I also ordered the Leather Master kit to try out and I like it--actually very similar to the original Sonus conditioner in both application look and smell.

tom p.
09-24-2013, 08:37 AM
It used to smell like Porsche leather after it was applied. Now it does not smell very good.

I`m not sure I know what Porsche leather smells like, but if you seek a product with a strong leather odor, I`d recommend:

Griot`s Leather Care

Zaino Leather in a bottle (Z10, I think)

Bill D
09-24-2013, 09:06 AM
actually very similar to the original Sonus conditioner in both application look and smell.

I was told they are the same.

Accumulator
09-24-2013, 09:57 AM
Huh, sorry to hear they changed the Sonus, I liked it. And it *did* soften up coated leather for me...yeah, I know, but this was direct, first-hand experience (actually, I`ve had numerous cases where I was able to make coated leather soften up and become more supple).

I also use/like/recommend the Leather Masters, but my current favorite leathercare line is Leather Doctor.

Bill D
09-24-2013, 02:24 PM
I think Leather Doctor can only be purchased via e mailing Roger Koh?

Accumulator
09-25-2013, 12:42 PM
I think Leather Doctor can only be purchased via e mailing Roger Koh?

Correct. It`s a bit of a PIA but I`m sure glad I went through with trying the stuff despite having some very serious reservations, and some knee-jerk opposition, about going that route. And note that I have a lifetime`s supply of Leather Masters stuff (and plenty of Sonus) and that I`m not inclined to put much effort into hassling around with this as I basically never treat my leather anyhow (meaning that for me to be so impressed with the Leather Doctor should imply that it`s really, really good).

SF Space Grey
10-27-2013, 02:00 AM
I`ve only used Leather Masters Protection Cream and Sonus Leather Conditioner on my bmw coated leather seats.` Between the two, I prefer the Sonus.` The LM made the seats a little grabbier for a day or two (which I didn`t really like), but the Sonus made the seats silky feeling without being overly slippery or greasy at all, andgot rid of the overly dry feeling that bothered me before.` It lasted for a few weeks at least before it wore off.

`

One thing I didn`t like about the Sonus was the strong smell.` It smells kind of like hay, and makes the car smell like a barn for the first week or so.` For that reason I still use the LM cream on my leather couch at home.` What I`d really like is a product that improves the feel of dry-feeling leather without grease but doesn`t bring so much of that barn smell.` Any chance Leather Doctor Protector fits the bill?` For those that have used it, does it make leather feel less dry?` Does that effect last for a good amount of time?` And finally, does the scented version have a very strong smell such that I`m safer with the unscented version?

David Fermani
10-27-2013, 12:46 PM
`Any chance Leather Doctor Protector fits the bill?` For those that have used it, does it make leather feel less dry?` Does that effect last for a good amount of time?` And finally, does the scented version have a very strong smell such that I`m safer with the unscented version?

I can`t remember Leather Doctor having a dedicated protector? I think he is all about making sure the leather is neutral for it to be protected? He has a product that has a very, very strong leather scent, but it`s just a fragrance and not a protector. It just takes a couple sprays for the entire car to smell like a leather factory.

`

If you are looking for a product that makes the leather feel soft without any greasy feel you should try HD Protect. I helped formulate this product and wanted these characteristics to be followed due to my own personal must haves. Most products that soften the leather also leave a greasy residue due to the oils that it tries to displace. This product is water-based and will not do this.`

`

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqq2L08d-2Q`

SF Space Grey
10-27-2013, 02:19 PM
I can`t remember Leather Doctor having a dedicated protector? I think he is all about making sure the leather is neutral for it to be protected? He has a product that has a very, very strong leather scent, but it`s just a fragrance and not a protector. It just takes a couple sprays for the entire car to smell like a leather factory.

`

Thanks for the rec David.` Leather Doctor does have a dedicated conditioner / protector that comes in scented and unscented varieties as well as different versions for "buttery feel," "grabby feel," and "silky feel"... whatever that means.

David Fermani
10-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Hmmmm, didn`t know that! Thanks!`

Accumulator
10-28-2013, 11:41 AM
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-time="1382901562" data-cid="1426732" data-author="SF Space Grey">

... Leather Doctor does have a dedicated conditioner / protector that comes in scented and unscented varieties as well as different versions for "buttery feel," "grabby feel," and "silky feel"... whatever that means.</blockquote>
Web addy: http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet/the-Conditioner-%E2%80%93-Protector-%28Scentless%29/Categories (`http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet/the-Conditioner-%E2%80%93-Protector-%28Scentless%29/Categories`)

Now I see there`s a "waxy" feel version too. I`ve only used the "Draggy" and "Buttery" feel ones.

The Draggy/Buttery-feel diffs are subtle but noticeable; e.g., I use draggy for steering wheels and buttery for seats. This helps avoid the issue that SG Space Grey experienced with the LM. The draggy isn`t "tacky" or anything, feels fine to me and I can be picky about such stuff, it`s just not slick as in "steering wheel slips out of your hand, oops!". The buttery stuff isn`t so slick that you slip around in the seat or anything like that.

I use the uncscented versions, and the cars end up smelling like...well, Audis smell like Audis, Chevies smell like Chevies. Helps me maintain the marque-appropriate new-car smell (yeah, even on vehicles that`re pretty old and get used to haul dogs every day ;) ).