PDA

View Full Version : Just Finished Opti-Coat 2.0 - Have Some Questions

The Critic
09-22-2013, 04:14 AM
I applied Opti-Coat 2.0 to my daily driver today and have some questions that I could use some help with.

Prior to application, I washed/nanoskin mitt med/iron-x paste and did a 1-step polish with HD Polish using an Uber green pad. After polishing, I sprayed and wiped down the car with a 50/50 mix of Optimum Power Clean (and rinsed), and was able to confirm that all beading was gone.

Here are some events which occurred during application that I would like some feedback on:

- During application, I applied OC 2.0 and waited 5-7 min (per the OC 2.0 label) before attacking the high spots. After waiting the prescribed amount of time, the high spots were no longer of a rainbow color -- they had become mere smudges. However, these smudges removed easily with a no/light pressure wipe using a MF towel. I also went back after another 30-45 min and wiped a couple more spots as-needed (but with more pressure). Was this correct?

- On the first two panels I did, I had wiped down the high spots with a MF towel while the spots were still a "rainbow." I became concerned so I went back 30 min later and decided to recoat those panels. Is this okay? I remember reading a post from Chris@Optimum that you can do two back-to-back coats of OC within an hour.

- I decided to do the right-side and the roof of the car on the driveway (due to better lighting). After finishing the right side and doing 3/4 of the roof, a couple drops (literally) of rain came down. I sped the car into the garage and blotted up the few drops that had contacted the side panels. However, the roof got a couple bunch of drops on the area that was still flashing.

So, I waited for the OC 2.0 that was still flashing on the roof (which now had a few drops of water on it) to finish, and I wiped down the roof and re-coated the whole roof altogether. Therefore, I expect the roof to turn out okay.

My question is: the side panels that got a few drops had been done for 15 minutes and were dry to the touch. I understand that Optimum says you need to wait 1 hr before the coated panels can contact water, but I cannot imagine that 5-10 drops on a coated panel (that were wiped up within a min) would cause major issues. Has anyone else ran into a similar situation?

Thanks in advance for your help and your responses. The car is sitting in the garage right now so tomorrow`s sunlight will be the real test - I really hope that there aren`t any high spots remaining.

CGdetailing
09-22-2013, 05:30 PM
I applied Opti-Coat 2.0 to my daily driver today and have some questions that I could use some help with.

Prior to application, I washed/nanoskin mitt med/iron-x paste and did a 1-step polish with HD Polish using an Uber green pad. After polishing, I sprayed and wiped down the car with a 50/50 mix of Optimum Power Clean (and rinsed), and was able to confirm that all beading was gone.

Proper prep work prior applying opti coat: CHECK

Here are some events which occurred during application that I would like some feedback on:

- During application, I applied OC 2.0 and waited 5-7 min (per the OC 2.0 label) before attacking the high spots. After waiting the prescribed amount of time, the high spots were no longer of a rainbow color -- they had become mere smudges. However, these smudges removed easily with a no/light pressure wipe using a MF towel. I also went back after another 30-45 min and wiped a couple more spots as-needed (but with more pressure). Was this correct?

Opti coat 2.0 will start solvent flashing within 2 minutes which results seeing the rainbow/oil color. By 3-5 minute mark, most of the film will disappear/bond to the surface, and that`s when I usually go over the entire panel with a quality MF towel and wipe lightly to level off the high spots. After 15-30 minutes the paint will become tacky and during this time you do not want to touch it because it will smear/smudge, which you can`t wipe it away/off. I tried doing this on a test panel when I was practicing how to apply Opti coat 2.0. When it reaches 1 hr, you can get it wet, but don`t let it get contaminated by taking the car outside.

- On the first two panels I did, I had wiped down the high spots with a MF towel while the spots were still a "rainbow." I became concerned so I went back 30 min later and decided to recoat those panels. Is this okay? I remember reading a post from Chris@Optimum that you can do two back-to-back coats of OC within an hour.

As long as most of the rainbow dissipates within the 2-5 minute mark you can go over it with a MF towel. I would personally wait 24 hrs to apply the 2nd coat while the paint is still clean.

- I decided to do the right-side and the roof of the car on the driveway (due to better lighting). After finishing the right side and doing 3/4 of the roof, a couple drops (literally) of rain came down. I sped the car into the garage and blotted up the few drops that had contacted the side panels. However, the roof got a couple bunch of drops on the area that was still flashing.

So, I waited for the OC 2.0 that was still flashing on the roof (which now had a few drops of water on it) to finish, and I wiped down the roof and re-coated the whole roof altogether. Therefore, I expect the roof to turn out okay.

My question is: the side panels that got a few drops had been done for 15 minutes and were dry to the touch. I understand that Optimum says you need to wait 1 hr before the coated panels can contact water, but I cannot imagine that 5-10 drops on a coated panel (that were wiped up within a min) would cause major issues. Has anyone else ran into a similar situation?

I have not tested this part of the application yet, so I can`t help you on this part.

Thanks in advance for your help and your responses. The car is sitting in the garage right now so tomorrow`s sunlight will be the real test - I really hope that there aren`t any high spots remaining.

I hope this will help you to figuring out how to apply Opti coat 2.0 a bit better.

The Critic
09-24-2013, 01:43 AM
Thanks, I appreciate your assistance.

I also checked with Chris @ Optimum and his answers were almost identical to yours. In regards to the premature water exposure, he said that the only effect would be smearing, but I have not seen any to-date.