PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a 1976 Porsche tool kit

Marj
09-15-2013, 05:02 PM
I have this 37 year old tool kit that has old oil stains that I would like to clean. I don`t want to experiment and make things worse, so I am wondering if anyone here has experience cleaning these old basket weave tool bags.

Here is a link to one that looks much like mine: $30 Shipped, mid year - shabby tool kit - incomplete and cheap - Mid Year - Want it? - Pelican Parts Technical BBS (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/767562-30-shipped-mid-year-shabby-tool-kit-incomplete-cheap-mid-year-want.html)

David Fermani
09-15-2013, 07:00 PM
That`s a tough one. What kind of soiling is on it?

C. Charles Hahn
09-15-2013, 09:01 PM
For the tools themselves I`d soak them in Evapo-Rust; not sure what to say about the bag though.

Accumulator
09-16-2013, 12:39 PM
bcgreen- Getting the rust stains out of that fabric might be a tall order, not sure how to do it without bleaching the material to death :nixweiss

C. Charles Hahn- How does the Evapo-Rust do on the remaining original finish? I ask because the stuff I use would not only remove the rust, but also compromise whatever`s left of that finish. For that reason I`d try treating them with Würth`s Rost-Off instead (my go-to for corrosion where I *ONLY* want to affect that and not the oe finish), but I`ve never used Evapo-Rust specifically and maybe it`s different from what I`m used to.

Marj
09-16-2013, 02:28 PM
That`s a tough one. What kind of soiling is on it?

Mainly old oil stains. Imagine oil stains all the way back to `76.

Marj
09-16-2013, 02:29 PM
For the tools themselves I`d soak them in Evapo-Rust; not sure what to say about the bag though.

Just want to clean the bag.

C. Charles Hahn
09-16-2013, 05:56 PM
bcgreen- Getting the rust stains out of that fabric might be a tall order, not sure how to do it without bleaching the material to death :nixweiss

C. Charles Hahn- How does the Evapo-Rust do on the remaining original finish? I ask because the stuff I use would not only remove the rust, but also compromise whatever`s left of that finish. For that reason I`d try treating them with Würth`s Rost-Off instead (my go-to for corrosion where I *ONLY* want to affect that and not the oe finish), but I`ve never used Evapo-Rust specifically and maybe it`s different from what I`m used to.

I`ve got a few older tools I found that have a "galvanized" finish, which I soaked overnight in the Evapo-Rust; it didn`t seem to affect the part of the finish that was still intact, but where the rust had been the original finish was compromised anyway so it certainly didn`t leave them looking like new -- just left them "clean."

For automotive applications specifically I`ve used it a number of times on chrome or billet trailer hitch balls and polished exhaust tips, and I`ve never seen it do any damage (staining/stripping) to the base material or finish.

togwt
09-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Use a safe degreaser (Wurth Citrus Degreaser or Leather Masters™ Leather Degreaser ) and then try a, b or c

a) Use a medium soft brush and a 4:1 solution distilled water / ammonia and then rinse with cool clean water

b) For tougher stains apply a solution of no more than 1/2 cup (4 oz.) bleach and 1/4 cup (2 oz.) RaggTopp™ Cleaner per gallon of water and then rinse thoroughly. May require repeated cleaning

c) Badly stained material - wet the area to be cleaned with distilled water plus (a) or (b) above, lightly spray and rinse thoroughly. You could also try leaving the above solution on overnight, keep damp by covering with a plastic sheet.

Clean the outside of the tool-roll with Iz einszett `Plastik-Reiniger` an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for urethane

Let us know what worked and how well it turned out

Accumulator
09-17-2013, 12:42 PM
C. Charles Hahn-Thanks for the additional info on the EvapoRust. Seemingly similar products of that nature can sometimes behave differently so it`s good to know specifics.