PDA

View Full Version : Used Acetone to remove touch up paint, am I in trouble?

Matt1
09-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Hi everyone,

From reading the threads on this site, I understand lacquer thinner is to be used to remove touch up paint. I had messed up on a small repair scratch yesterday and wanted to remove the touch up

paint and try again.

Well, I got some Duplicolor Lacquer Thinner at an auto parts store that seemed to take the touch up paint off pretty well. Looking at the label after the fact, I notice this lacquer thinner is some new "compliant formula" that is 100% acetone! At the Duplicolor site there doesn`t look to be a difference between acetone and "compliant" lacquer thinner when looking the both of the msds.

It looks OK, but am I screwed? Car in question is an `11 Crown Vic. If it is 100% acetone they shouldn`t call it lacquer thinner even if "compliant"!

Thanks,

Matt

brownbob06
09-14-2013, 10:00 PM
I don`t understand...

If it looks fine you should be ok. Not sure how you would be "screwed" if you already used it and it didn`t mess anything up.

I may be misunderstanding your question though.

Matt1
09-15-2013, 08:37 AM
I don`t understand...

If it looks fine you should be ok. Not sure how you would be "screwed" if you already used it and it didn`t mess anything up.

I may be misunderstanding your question though.

Thanks for the reply. I just wondered if there were any long term effects to be aware of.

imported_WhyteWizard
09-15-2013, 09:29 AM
the only long term effect I can think of might be paranoia. :wink1:

brownbob06
09-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the reply. I just wondered if there were any long term effects to be aware of.

Gotcha. So you`re wondering if the clearcoat has been compromised. I think it should be fine. As far as I know as long as it didnt.have an effect on it it will be fine. If it compromised it you should be able to see a visual difference on the original clear.

Accumulator
09-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Matt1- You got my attention with " `11 Crown Vic". What color? Yours or a customer`s? Hey, I`m a Crown Vic nut....

Matt1
09-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Gotcha. So you`re wondering if the clearcoat has been compromised. I think it should be fine. As far as I know as long as it didnt.have an effect on it it will be fine. If it compromised it you should be able to see a visual difference on the original clear.

Thanks, I feel better now. The clearcoat looks OK. I think I should be OK.

Matt1
09-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Matt1- You got my attention with " `11 Crown Vic". What color? Yours or a customer`s? Hey, I`m a Crown Vic nut....

It`s a black LX and it`s mine. I really like them as well. I had an `01 Grand Marquis before this car. I am sad they don`t make them anymore.

Scottwax
09-16-2013, 02:38 PM
I`ve used Methyl Ethyl Ketone to remove glue from paint successfully and the warning label on it basically says to notify your next of kin before using its such strong stuff. Just make sure you wash the area and reapply protection.

Accumulator
09-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Matt1- Ah, nice. Yeah, too bad they killed them off. I bought my second one just because I figured I`d better snag such a nice one (<20K miles, right color, etc. etc.) while I still could.

Remember to keep your steering shafts nice and clean, especially the U-joints ;)