PDA

View Full Version : These PRO coatings are getting ridiculous, any alternative ?

Pages : [1] 2 3

cobraa
09-11-2013, 08:10 AM
After offering opti-coat pro for 8 month and inquiring info about carpro Finest, I just felt of my chair lol Having to ask a minimum price is plain stupid so with that said.

Can you name me any alternative similar to these two ?

RToth
09-11-2013, 08:34 AM
There is a reason they ask for a minimum price, they are very long lasting / permanent coatings. They are not simply a wax or sealant that only lasts a few months or so. The minimum price keeps the value of the product while not allowing the detailer down the road to offer the same service for $60. When you compare the cost and how long they last, these coatings even at their minimum price point is still a good deal vs having the vehicle waxed several times a year for a couple years. Throw in the added benefit of the extra protection true coatings give over regular wax or sealants and that sweetens the deal even more.

Scottwax
09-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Agreed. The price is based on the additional value that a coating provides. Not just that people don`t have to wax again but that the coatings resist swirling and bird bombs a lot better than traditional waxes and sealants.

cobraa
09-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Guys, I would be ashamed to ask my client ( who owns a veyron) if he wants a coating applied for 400$ instead of 2 layer of Crystal Rock. so if you guys feel confortable ripping off your customer with Acura and such. feel free but I have respect for my customer and I will never charge them this non-sens price.

Dan
09-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Guys, I would be ashamed to ask my client ( who owns a veyron) if he wants a coating applied for 400$ instead of 2 layer of Crystal Rock. so if you guys feel confortable ripping off your customer with Acura and such. feel free but I have respect for my customer and I will never charge them this non-sens price.

So which exactly is the ripoff? The coating that works or an overpriced wax?

Todd@RUPES
09-11-2013, 09:49 AM

So you feel more comfortable asking a somebody to pay 400 dollars for a wax that lasts a handful of months vs. a permanent coating that will last the life of the paint, provide real world protection, increase film build, and increase scratch resistance.

I guess what you are saying, is that by offering a superior protectent for the same price as a wax, you some how feel like you are taking advantage of them?

Todd@RUPES
09-11-2013, 09:50 AM
After offering opti-coat pro for 8 month and inquiring info about carpro Finest, I just felt of my chair lol Having to ask a minimum price is plain stupid so with that said.

Well we all have opinions on smart vs. stupid, but it makes GREAT business sense and helps keep the playing field level. I am glad to see companies like this offering a standardized pricing structure.

RToth
09-11-2013, 09:54 AM
I honestly do not see how $400 is ripping a customer off.

Not sure what you would charge for two layers of Crystal Rock, but it certainly wouldn`t last as long or protect nearly as well as a permanent coating. So, basically figure doing two layers at least twice if not more in the time the coating would still be holding strong.

Educate your customer on the pros and cons of a coating vs wax or sealant then let them decide. If you refuse to sell the coating at the recommended minimum price you are selling yourself short and ripping yourself off. Now the customer doesn`t need your services for anything other then a random wash here and there for 2+ years.

cobraa
09-11-2013, 09:59 AM
So you feel more comfortable asking a somebody to pay 400 dollars for a wax that lasts a handful of months vs. a permanent coating that will last the life of the paint, provide real world protection, increase film build, and increase scratch resistance.

I guess what you are saying, is that by offering a superior protectent for the same price as a wax, you some how feel like you are taking advantage of them?

where do you see in my comment I ask a prime of 400$ for a layer of crystal rock ???? Jeezz. the point of this thread is to ask for alternative, not to discuss on a marketing and economical debate.

edit: okay I guess i wasnt clear. I admit. I DO NOT CHARGE A PENNY MORE FOR CRYSTAL ROCK or any other fancy protection. I enjoy working with these products and its my pleasure to apply what the customer wants.

tom p.
09-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Cobra, it`s your value judgement coming into play. The contemporary business needs to offer (at a minimum) a couple of options:

Traditional polish + wax for $100

"permanent coating" + polish for $400, which is likely to last thru several tough winters

Let your clientele decide. Give them choices. People like having options :)

Anthony O.
09-11-2013, 10:14 AM

Well that`s a ridiculous reply....or reasoning.

Opti-Coat is a totally different animal from an oil based wax that simply lays on top of a paint surface. I could argue that your "Veyron" customer is being ripped off by you for charging him for "two" layers of oil when in fact only one layer is being applied.

We have a set price because Opti-Coat...the entire system, is a "professional" product designed to give the selected applier a offering to his or her clients above and beyond your normal wax. It`s not Optimums goal to replace waxes but rather to have a choice. One can Opti-Coat and then apply wax as a topper if one so chooses.

As already noted Optimum seeks to control pricing so Joe Blow doesn`t seek to undercut the professional who is doing everything legally and by the book. A Professional has to pay overhead while the weekend warrior does it from his driveway and could in turn tarnish Optimum and the years of hard work gone into Opti-Coat and the whole line of products. I have a personal connection with Opti-Coat and Opti-Seal so I am guarded over it, Dr. G even more so. When we saw some things going on we didn`t like Dr. G felt he had to re-work some rules for those wanting to use and apply the Pro version.

So when I apply Opti-Coat to a clients car for $499.00 I am NOT ripping anyone off because the product works as advertised. They have the assurance of a warranty which I have yet to see offered by a "wax".

If Opti-Coat program is not for your business then don`t use it, simple as that. I for one do not detail cars for the glory of detailing cars. I do it for an income and an income only, no matter if it`s a Veyron or a Toyota Tercel. My rights to Opti-Coat extend through all of Texas so myself and my business partner Ron, we see Opti-Coat, its potential and where it`s going in a whole new light. We see the bigger picture.

Anthony

Dan
09-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Yet another alternative is the non pro version which works amazingly well and you can buy it and do whatever you like with it.

Juan@Turbo Wax
09-11-2013, 11:16 AM
We don’t produce coatings, however, we have seen a trend of customers asking about them, not a particular brand but generally speaking requesting if we can apply a “Coating” to their vehicle , the one thing is for sure, coatings are not for everyone, we have seen VW owners pony up the money for the coating and we have seen Lambo owners decline the service, so for sure is hit and miss from our experience.

Your primary questions is; Can you name me any alternative similar to these two ?

Right now it appears that there’s a new coating entering the marketplace by the day, I’d like to think that an alternative to any coating could be the Paint Protection Film (commonly referred to as “Clear Bra”) as the ones that this folks install: Metropolitan Detail | Metropolitan Detail | Paint Protection / Clear Bra (http://metropolitandetail.com/services/film/paint-protection/)

Is that a fair comparison?

Thomas Dekany
09-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I think you are really off here, but you can look into 22ple as another option. There are others, but will cost a lot of money per application so I will not list those for you.

Scottwax
09-11-2013, 02:59 PM

Yesterday, a client was on the fence about me using a traditional sealant or Opti-Coat (which he was already familiar with the internet car forums). After I finished polishing it, he pointed at my car (which has Opti-Coat on it) and said "that`s the look I want". And this is for someone who will probably only keep the car another year. But the convenience of not having to wax it again was worth more to have the coating applied then even to have me come out in 6 months and go over his car again.

It is absolutely fair to charge more for a permanent paint protectant and in the end saves your customers a lot of money. And I have found that Opti-Coat customers are still repeat customers. When they get another car, they want the coating. They want us to still come out and detail the interior, clean jambs, wash, etc. And in 4 years and well over 100 cars coated, I have not had one single person say to me after the coating was applied they felt they didn`t get their money`s worth.

I have it on my own car, so nice to just wash it now.